Pool 2-Hidden Falls

• Matt
    Oakdale,MN

I’ll be heading over to the Hidden Falls area tomorrow eve. Anybody been there recently. Also as a heads up I heard that this ramp will be closed after this weekend until mid nov for construction. I’ll post how I do, thanks.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I wouldnt be too happy if the close Hidden Falls. But you cant fight “the man”.

I was out there last Saturday. LOTS of big boats on the water-which always seems to shut down the nice fish a bit. I caught fish-but it was tough. If Saturday was any indication of the bite-they seem to be transitioning a bit. W/ the water coming down a little each day, the fish are no longer stacked in the eddys and slack water. The fish I caught were either on the edge of the slack water or in the current breaks. I did not mark or catch any fish in the fast water.

As a side note-I did nail 3 nice crappie (3/4 lbers) on cranks.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Matt,

DaveB hit her on the head with the bite up there. I was up there last Friday evening and we caught fish, but was not hot and heavy like its has been. We did make contact some nicer fish up by the dam close to dark though. We pulled and pitched cranks along the sandbars and riprap shorelines. You may want to consider pitching plastics to the shorelines up by the lock/dam.
    Good Luck and let us know how it goes for ya and keep us posted also on the Hidden falls ramp condition if you hear more.

Spent last night down by 494 pitching the wingdams to find about 6 fish there with the biggest about 21″ The water needs to continue to drop back down and stabilize for this bite to pick up.

Matt
    Oakdale,MN

Two of us went out last night from about 4-830 and caught 9 eyes. Most were small, 6 around 10″, 2-17″, and a 22″. Caught all of them trolling shad or risto raps in about 10 ft. of water. Caught them all just upstream of the Mn confluence. Seemed like the current was pretty quick in a lot of areas, maybe I just have to learn how to read rivers better. This was my first time to the river in the summer. Deezee, how good does the fishing get in the 494 area in the fall? . I hope to make at least a couple more runs down to 494 yet this fall, where are some good spots for summer/fall, north or south of the bridge. There’s still signs up that hidded falls will be closed from Sept 3 to mid Nov. sometime. Thanks for your replies.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Matt,

I enjoy fishing the 494 area due to the amount of wingdams. The bite only gets better as the water cools. Oct-Dec is a great time frame to target Pool 2 wingdam or shoreline eyes. The fish have got the feed bag on and are pretty easy to catch if you stay persistant. A good average day of wing dam fishing in the fall can yeild about 20 fish with the majority over 20″ mark.
    A good area for starters is the airport area north of the 494 bridge about 3 miles. Here there is a variety of fish holding spots that will be worth checking out. Plenty of room to either troll cranks or pitch jigsto.

Enjoy…

customrodfan
    Twin Cities

I fished Pool 2 yesterday morning. The walleyes were stacked up at the lock. I quit counting at 18 fish. They were hitting hair jigs tipped with leeches and crawlers. Most were pretty small (12-14″), but I did get 3 over 20″. I also trolled the shoreline just upstream from the no wake area to the bridge. Larger fish here, biggest was 22″, but not in any numbers yet.

With the Hidden Falls ramp closed as of today, fishing pressure might actually decrease this fall. I can’t wait for the water levels and temps to come down. This should be a great fall on Pool 2!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.