Briank was the highlight

• John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I finally met BrianK this morning in Everts shop. What a nice guy. Fishing sucked for me today so that was pretty much the highlight of the day.
    Actually, I spent the day running to LOTS of spots exploring new areas so the intent was more to learn and not be so concerned if I caught anything. This year I’m experimenting with Gulp minnows. Last week I got several ‘eye on the 3″ minnow but I wanted to target bigger fish so I came with 4″ minnows. I got bit, but most came unbuttoned before I got them to the surface. So I think the 4″ is too big. I may try a stinger hook next time. I did manage to hook some white bass so at least I didn’t get skunked. I was jigging 3″ and 4″ at the same time and all bites came on the 4″ so the fish seemed to prefer the bigger one – but like I said I couldn’t get a hookset.
    I did my jigging in the current and learned how to use my trolling motor to keep the jig vertical, even with 1/8 to 3/16 oz. in current. That’s actually a decent way to cover water. I’m a bit of a boat control nut and love my pull-pull cable style of trolling motor because that gives me better control than the fancy electronic models.
    I also continue to work on the blade bait for the 4th year, and I still haven’t caught anything on a blade. Seems they’re better for dredging junk off the bottom versus catching fish. But I am learning to lift slower and not so high. I don’t have much confidence in it though.
    We hit a bunch of areas from the dam down to Lake Pepin then worked back up the “wisconsin channel” I think it’s called. So it was a great learning day. I just couldn’t figure out where to get a consistent bite. Maybe next week…

John S.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Quote:

Last week I got several ‘eye on the 3″ minnow but I wanted to target bigger fish so I came with 4″ minnows. I got bit, but most came unbuttoned before I got them to the surface. So I think the 4″ is too big. I may try a stinger hook next time. I did manage to hook some white bass so at least I didn’t get skunked. I was jigging 3″ and 4″ at the same time and all bites came on the 4″ so the fish seemed to prefer the bigger one – but like I said I couldn’t get a hookset.
    John S.

Not sure what other may say but I think the 4″ gulp minnows lack action vs. the 3″ ones…Seems like there is so much scent/bulk/weight in them they lack action and kind of “roll over” when you try and give them action. Reminds me of fishing with a leather shoe.

I know I have had the best luck with 3″ gulp minnows.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Not sure what other may say but I think the 4″ gulp minnows lack action vs. the 3″ ones…Seems like there is so much scent/bulk/weight in them they lack action and kind of “roll over” when you try and give them action. Reminds me of fishing with a leather shoe.

I know I have had the best luck with 3″ gulp minnows.

X2. Emerald shiner works really well for me.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Most would call that the lowlight.

Good to meet you too!

KirtH
    Lakeville

Quote:

I finally met BrianK this morning in Everts shop. What a nice guy. Fishing sucked for me today so that was pretty much the highlight of the day.

John S.

Brian how much did this cost you for him to say this
    One more meeting should shatter this

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

hmmmm……

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Your check is going to bounce Erick.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.