Fishing a “One Eye” jigging spoon

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

After the PMs I received, I will try to elaborate on the One Eye for vertical jigging…

Several years back, during a spring trip to P-4, Dean Marshall introduced me to the “One Eye”.

The dam was wide open and current was flying down the river…Big Sauger were present , but it was very hard to put a lure in front of them with the heavy current. We even tried 1 ounce blades… but they too were swept downstream. But the compact, heavy (½ oz) One Eye was up to the task.

As Dean would say, there is no WRONG way to fish the One Eye…so be innovative!

What has worked for me over the years in a methodical “lift and drop back” technique. I prefer a MLXF action rod in a 6’3′ length with Hi Viz 6 lb Cortland Endurance or Sufix Elite. Others like braid, but a heavy fish in current gets tricky with the no stretch factor of braid, as tiny trebles can tear out of soft tissue pretty easy. The mono gives me a little “stretch” cushion against this.

Position the boat on a current seam and anchor (this is where the I Pilot Terrova is a blessing!)

Do a controlled drop with the One Eye until it touches bottom…(if you free spool it down, it will tumble and hook itself much of the time)

Take out the slack line by reeling your rod tip down to within about 6-12 inches of the surface…the proximity to the surface will increase your hook set ability by having your rod arm extended toward the water rather than higher above the water.

The Walleye/Sauger are flat on the bottom in this situation, so raise the lure about a foot and let it back down ON A TAUT LINE…(that is important since many times they will suck it in off the bottom after watching it flutter down in the current) until it touches bottom…

Repeat the process… Sometimes I will pause it just above bottom and wiggle the rod tip to impart action….there is NO wrong way to fish this… but over the years the lift/drop and PATIENCE will consistently put fish on.

This is a reaction bait and I prefer bright colors….

Good Fishing!

Tom

johnnyg105
    Hugo, MN

Thats excellent information, Thank You!

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

Tom…Does it matter which end of the One Eye you tie the line to?

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Very helpfull guidlines… Glad you don’t have to tip with meat because my hands get too cold digging into a minnow bucket.

Thank you very much.

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

I have not used the one eye for quite awhile , but now that you bring it up we used to have good results with it. Thanks for the reminder.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I geuss I have another question…Where can you buy them?? Does Evertz sell them??

Might have to try them in P2.

iowaeye

These are one of the most popular baits down on pool 12. Glad to see you caught some nice ones on em!

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Quote:

I geuss I have another question…Where can you buy them?? Does Evertz sell them??

Yes Evert’s has em

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Good post Tom! The one eye is a way of life in the southern pools. In a off bite day, a simple drop n hold can be very productive as well.It is also a great bait for river newbies to get acclamated to cuurent conditions. Good to see you had a good trip!

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

What are some good colors to use

iowaeye

Bright chart/red green/chart and black

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

Thanks I can`t wait to try them..

tom_gursky

Sure miss ya down there Deano…
    Next time Mitch comes with…maybe the week after Easter we’ll have ya down for Scalloped Taters & Ham buddy!

tom_gursky

Quote:

Everts and Dean’s Tackle box have em….

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Quote:

Good post Tom! The one eye is a way of life in the southern pools. In a off bite day, a simple drop n hold can be very productive as well.It is also a great bait for river newbies to get acclamated to cuurent conditions. Good to see you had a good trip!

In any bait shop on the shores of Pools 9, 10, 11, 12, or 13, you will find One Eyes. Hutch makes some really good ones, but there are numerous brands. They are a great vertical jigging tool to have. Sheephead love them, too.

mojogunter

Tom were you sitting in the bait shop last Thursday talking to Steve about 5:30PM?

Quote:

Quote:

Everts and Dean’s Tackle box have em….

tom_gursky

No…I was back home in Iron Mountain by then… Coulda been Bucktail Wayne?

mojogunter

I think you are right. I think I remember Kari saying the name Wayne now that you mention it when I was donating my left over minnows to the racoons.

Quote:

No…I was back home in Iron Mountain by then… Coulda been Bucktail Wayne?

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

You can also pitch them to the rip rap & use them on wing dams i’ve used them for over 15 years

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You aren’t that old Ron!

mhtrapper

Would love to know where to buy these one eyes thanks

mhtrapper

where does it tie on to line i was hoping top middle so it hangs horizontal i have not seen a decent picture of one yet thanks, seems like with the two hook set up if tied to one end or the other the line would get tangled in the hook on the end the line was tied to again thanks

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

where does it tie on to line i was hoping top middle so it hangs horizontal i have not seen a decent picture of one yet thanks, seems like with the two hook set up if tied to one end or the other the line would get tangled in the hook on the end the line was tied to again thanks

You hook to the on the ‘eye’ side.

They talked a little bit about them in the MWC Champ. Video from last year.

Goto 4:40 in on the video –

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdw2xxuDGus

Pete

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

“Several years back, during a spring trip to P-4, Dean Marshall introduced me to the “One Eye”.”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I wasn’t going to bring that up…but you too were one of the unlucky ones.

Nothing like going to work in the morning and hearing a HEY! Here’s a one eye for you!

‘Course the Favorite Wife made the comment “That’s nothing Special”. But what does she know about fishing.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.