Vantage trolling motors

• eyeguy507
    SE MN

what is the purpose of these transom mount trolling motors? are they a green energy substitute for a kicker? just another toy to deploy? or is it for old school back-trolling? pretty sure i can do everything i need with my bow mount terrova but i see these on some boats and some for sale in classifieds. anyone have one that can fill me in?

Ripjiggen

Tiller boats and back trolling. Cats meow for a tiller guy. Can also off set you speed with big motor back trolling. Allows you to pretty much hover on fish.
    No you don’t want to troll like a kicker with one.

Deuces

Noone will convince me a bowmount is equal to backtrolling in regards to precision bait placement.

Sodie
    Alma , Wisconsin

I wouldn’t be without one on my 2090. Many uses for how I like to fish. River or lakes.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Tiller boats and back trolling. Cats meow for a tiller guy. Can also off set you speed with big motor back trolling. Allows you to pretty much hover on fish.
    No you don’t want to troll like a kicker with one.

My folks have one on their Warrior 2090 tiller. This is exactly how they use it, when back trolling in lighter chop or calmer waters. They use their big outboard (150 4-stroke) to back troll with a drift sock more often in bigger chop though.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Similar to Sodie, I have one on my 2090, and there’s no way I would give it up. I run my active target transducer on it, so whether I’m backtrolling, or spot locked I have it in my hand like a pole mount. They also have 3:1 steering so you only need to move the handle 120 degrees to rotate in a complete circle. It gives you so much better boat control than the bow mount does. I can change my speed from 0-10 in 1/4 of a second, or change directions in the same time. No waiting for the electric motor to slowly turn around.

It’s great for guiding. It keeps the clients lines out the front of the boat where there’s nothing for them to get tangled on and I can keep an eye on everything that’s happening. It also gets used to control a drift, or slow the speed of the boat when trolling with the big motor.

With active target this year, I started out with a pole mount, but it was clumsy having to put it in the water and take it out every time. I switched it to the vantage, and now it’s always looking. When I deploy the vantage it sticks down low enough to look 360 degrees around the boat and the little arrow on top of the unit tells me where I’m looking. It is still in the water when driving around looking for fish, and I can jump up on plane without having to fiddle around with a pole mount.

I really love my vantage yay

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Noone will convince me a bowmount is equal to backtrolling in regards to precision bait placement.

What he said.

Windy days especially.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I don’t think the terrova has much on the vantage besides spot lock.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

So only for tiller boats…..got it!

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

^

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.