V-8 vs 3.5 EcoBoost F-150

• CaptainMusky

I built up my 22 Sierra crew SLT with 6.2 and 6.5 box and its 67k. I made out well selling my truck after 3 years and 42k miles only 3k less than I bought it for so its perspective regarding pricing. My son told me last night the sales mgr said not to expect it until December. I “ordered” in January.

Deuces

Even w the 6.2 the Chevy doesn’t have the tow capacity of Ford.

CaptainMusky

False. Max tow for F150 is 11,500 and the new 22 chevy or gmc refreshed model with a 6.2 has a max tow of 13,000.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

These prices for a half ton vehicle are sad and sick.

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>

False. Max tow for F150 is 11,500 and the new 22 chevy or gmc refreshed model with a 6.2 has a max tow of 13,000.

My mistake. Would’ve swore my mom’s last f150 was rated to 14k, she pulled horse trailers around that weren’t light. Only thought the GMC was to around 11.5 or so. Thanks for clarifying.

CaptainMusky

My mistake. Would’ve swore my mom’s last f150 was rated to 14k, she pulled horse trailers around that weren’t light. Only thought the GMC was to around 11.5 or so. Thanks for clarifying.

No worries. The “refreshed” 2022 GM trucks all had a significant bump in rating. The 2022 “limited” or prior still only has 11,500

bigcrappie
    Blaine

North Country Ford had a $98,000 Waldoch upgraded F150 on their show floor. 5.5′ box at that.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

North Country Ford had a $98,000 Waldoch upgraded F150 on their show floor. 5.5′ box at that.

and im sure they had multiple people offering to buy it. crazy

CaptainMusky

and im sure they had multiple people offering to buy it. crazy

It really is ridiculous the price people are paying for things. I know a guy who ordered a C8 corvette sight unseen. It came in only for him to realize he was too tall for it. With 500 miles on it the dealership bought it back for $30k more than he bought it for.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>
    eally like the new Rangers.

Does it come in a dually with a 10L diesel? If not, count me out.

By that I mean I like the Ranger for those guys with small boats like a 20 footer or so.

Obviously, as everyone knows, with me test piloting a new 28 footer with twin 400s, it wouldn’t work for me. I’m sticking with the Peterbilt.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

These prices for a half ton vehicle are sad and sick.

There’s people lined up across the country to pay 65-70K for a half ton. Hurry up, or you will miss out!

coffee

Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>

False, the max tow for the f-150 is 14,000.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I couldn’t imagine pulling that much weight behind a half ton. That must be so hard on that vehicle.
    I pull 12 to 14k behind my work truck on a daily basis. That’s alot of weight.

Jason

Max tow #’s don’t mean crap when your over the 1/2 tons max payload capacity of +/- 2000 lbs. Please find me one that handles 1500 lbs of tounge weight based on the 10-15% suggested amount, 2-3 people in the cab and the cargo in the box of the truck. If your anywhere near 10k of trailer weight and you are experienced with towing HEAVY trailers you wouldn’t be considering a 1/2 ton truck to begin with.

queenswake
    NULL

Max tow #’s don’t mean crap when your over the 1/2 tons max payload capacity of +/- 2000 lbs. Please find me one that handles 1500 lbs of tounge weight based on the 10-15% suggested amount, 2-3 people in the cab and the cargo in the box of the truck. If your anywhere near 10k of trailer weight and you are experienced with towing HEAVY trailers you wouldn’t be considering a 1/2 ton truck to begin with.

Exactly, tow capacity is a silly metric to be touting around for half-tons. You run out of payload capacity long before you run out of towing capacity.

For OP’s needs, he has simple towing capacity that either F150 engine will do fine with. If the truck is in stock and he wants it, might as well get it.

I have the 3.5 Eco and barely notice the tritoon or 26 ft camper back there. A family member with the 5.0L does not like towing his 32 ft camper as he feels every ounce of it. I have no idea if my Eco would do any better, but have heard similar things about the 5.0 V8.

It’s a different engine, but look at how many GM guys complain about the 5.3 vs the 6.2 for towing.

B-man

This ^^^^ 100%

Max tow ratings are based off an empty bed, an empty tank, no passengers, a standard cab with a bench seat pulling a #14,000 12′ fifth wheel dump trailer, and a horse jockey behind the wheel.

That’s why you see lower ratings for crew cabs (heavier) and even less for decked out trucks (heavier yet).

You want the dog to be able to wag the tail, and not have the tail to wag the dog.

Half tons with passenger tires have no business pulling heavy high-profile trailers, especially with a loaded truck.

I pull a 10,000 pound bumper-pull with my 3/4 ton diesel and it’s plenty, especially on marginal roads (ice/snow). Could it do more? Absolutely. Would it want to max it out? Ummmm…no.

A buddy of mine pulls a 26′ Carolina classic with a half ton….You’ll never catch me doing that unless it’s a 5 mile ride to the boat landing. Even then it would be a slow and steady drive taking every precaution.

People don’t realize a crew cab half-ton pulling a 20′ glass boat with five dudes and a bed full of gear is already over max payload….because a Google search for “max” of XX,xxx is stuck in their head.

Towing isn’t about raw horsepower, it’s about physics and the hundred details that obtain the “max rating,” which nobody actually owns. It’s mostly a marketing gimmick, and clearly works.

If any of you want to pull a 14,000# trailer with a loaded crew cab half-ton down the freeway, please let me know when and where so I can be as far away from you as possible lol (it’s a lawsuit waiting to happen)

Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jason wrote:</div>

This ^^^^ 100%

Max tow ratings are based off an empty bed, an empty tank, no passengers, a standard cab with a bench seat pulling a #14,000 12′ fifth wheel dump trailer, and a horse jockey behind the wheel.

That’s why you see lower ratings for crew cabs (heavier) and even less for decked out trucks (heavier yet).

You want the dog to be able to wag the tail, and not have the tail to wag the dog.

Half tons with passenger tires have no business pulling heavy high-profile trailers, especially with a loaded truck.

I pull a 10,000 pound bumper-pull with my 3/4 ton diesel and it’s plenty, especially on marginal roads (ice/snow). Could it do more? Absolutely. Would it want to max it out? Ummmm…no.

A buddy of mine pulls a 26′ Carolina classic with a half ton….You’ll never catch me doing that unless it’s a 5 mile ride to the boat landing. Even then it would be a slow and steady drive taking every precaution.

People don’t realize a crew cab half-ton pulling a 20′ glass boat with five dudes and a bed full of gear is already over max payload….because a Google search for “max” of XX,xxx is stuck in their head.

Towing isn’t about raw horsepower, it’s about physics and the hundred details that obtain the “max rating,” which nobody actually owns. It’s mostly a marketing gimmick, and clearly works.

If any of you want to pull a 14,000# trailer with a loaded crew cab half-ton down the freeway, please let me know when and where so I can be as far away from you as possible lol (it’s a lawsuit waiting to happen)

I completely agree. I was just pointing out what the max tow rating is on the f-150. I watched a guy tow a 26’ travel trailer home the other day with a half ton dodge. Trailer weighed around 6,500 lbs maybe. The wind pushed him all over the road. Trailer was all over the place “wagging the tail”.It was honestly scary and he shouldn’t have been towing it even though it was within the trucks capacity.

Heavy trucks are designed to handle heavy trailers.

Back to the OP question. The 5.0 is a great motor. It’s going to bark more than an eco will but will get you to your destination all the same.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Thanks for the replies. You guys know a lot more than I do. It does have more of a roar than the EcoBoost. We will see how it goes.

404 ERROR
    MN

For 2k more you can build a comparable F350. You will recoup that difference in 3 years on tabs for being non-commercial.

Exactly. I’ll be trading in my 5.0 this fall when my new 3500 6.6 gasser shows up. However, it was CHEAPER than a comparable 1/2 ton. Plus they can get around 17-18 highway unloaded…

I like my 5.0 but what no one seems to talk about is how the power is delivered. The VVT is intense on the 5.0 and they really don’t start making good power until 3-3,500rpm. The engine was designed for a car, then shoved in a truck. I have 3.73 gearing with a 6R80 and it still doesn’t tow like I would hope. Towed my same trailers with an EB and they are much better for towing…maybe the new 10 speed helps but I’m failing to see how.

CaptainMusky

It’s a different engine, but look at how many GM guys complain about the 5.3 vs the 6.2 for towing.

The 5.3 tows just fine. I have a 19 foot boat and hardly notice it at all. Ive towed it hundreds of miles. Is the 6.2 better? Absolutely, but the 5.3 is no slouch.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Ford just plead guilty to false advertising for payload and MPG in their superduties from 2011 – 2014. They calculated it using special rigs that were stripped bare of many parts including the center console, and did not offer this configuration for retail sale.

Not that I believe these ratings to be any better, I’m with Bearcat on this towing with a half ton near or at max capacity is not ideal.

And a final harsh reality- most of us who own half tons realistically won’t be pulling at or near max capacity anyway. Some of you will and I’m sure you’ll chime in, but those who pull heavy and frequently already know better than to get into a half ton. It’s my big comfy commuter that pulls my 2500# trailers just fine.

https://www.wowt.com/2022/05/24/nebraska-receive-260k-ford-false-advertising-settlement/

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Payload info stated in comments above it very real as well. I put 2900# of limestone into the back of my 2010 silverado 1500 6.2L. That engine had no problem dragging that load home, but both rear shocks blew out and stopping was, shall we say, not great.

For added context, I was going a few miles on backroads and kept it to 30 mph. Defintely risky but was not driving around other vehicles in traffic. Flashers on the whole way, like a farm truck. Weight was verified by the scale at the quarry. Guy driving the skid loader was laughing when we heard my shocks blow, but I already had the knew ones to replace those as they had over 100k on them.

3Rivers

Clearly the underpowered inferior engine from one company is much better than the overpowered overpriced and poor designed engine from the second company which are both about equal to the third company except for the front wheelbase ratings and windshield wiper swipe pattern coverage, not to mention if there are any Chinese parts, then it must have been assembled in Mexico by Europeans.

I’d go with the Alumacraft

Deuces

Clearly the underpowered inferior engine from one company is much better than the overpowered overpriced and poor designed engine from the second company which are both about equal to the third company except for the front wheelbase ratings and windshield wiper swipe pattern coverage, not to mention if there are any Chinese parts, then it must have been assembled in Mexico by Europeans.

I’d go with the Alumacraft

lol

craig s

Been running a 2013 f150 5.0 just turned 292,000 and runs great..

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Bottom line, it should pull a 1875 Crestliner with Merc 150 4 stroke with ease, right.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Bottom line, it should pull a 1875 Crestliner with Merc 150 4 stroke with ease, right.

Yes. Trucks depreciate like all vehicles. It’ll tow that boat and probably keep ya sane. Don’t fall down the “will this tow X” rabbit hole. Can go back and forth all day comparing X to Z. Sounds like ya want it, buy it.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

It’s in my driveway. I’m optimistic. A lot more A/V options, cameras, lights than I’m used to. Like depth finders, I’ll use 20% of its capabilities.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

You will come to rely on the cameras a lot more than you think! I ordered the backup camera in my 2012 DMax, I wish I had a few more plus the larger screen to view them in other than my rearview mirror.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.