V-8 vs 3.5 EcoBoost F-150

• ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I have a 2013 F-150 Platinum I bought used. It’s rusting pretty good now. Crummy day so I went to Brainerd to get a haircut. Stopped in at Mills Ford. I was planning on ordering a Lariat. The power running boards on my existing truck don’t do well In salty, snowy Mn. They happened to have the exact Lariat that I wanted. It has the 5.0 V-8. My current truck has the 3.5 EcoBoost. I like it. I pull a 1850 Crestliner w/ a Merc 150 4 stroke. I did put 3k into it to replace the timing chain a year ago. Im not towing anything but my boat. The v-8 should be just fine, right? Thanks for any opinions. Sam

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That 5.0 is a great motor

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

From my experience you’ll have very similar performance from either of those engines.
    The 5.0 wont require 3k in repairs at 100k though.

Jason

The newer 10 speed will be a nice addition for mpg for either unit. Ecoboost will have slightly better hp and fuel economy while empty but not a huge deal. The order blanks for the ’23s open up in July so you could go that direction as well if you can wait.

Lou W

I have a 2013 with 5.0. 180k on it. Tow a similar boat or 20’ trailer. It’s been pretty good. Water pump at 90k, blower motor at 130k. I’ll trade it for another like it this next winter/spring

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Stopped in at Mills Ford. I was planning on ordering a Lariat. The power running boards on my existing truck don’t do well In salty, snowy Mn. They happened to have the exact Lariat that I wanted. It has the 5.0 V-8.

When you say they have that truck did you actually verify that it’s for sale?

Dealership lots are loaded right now with vehicles that are actually already sold. They are awaiting chips and other parts before they can be delivered to customers.

If it’s actually for sale I wouldn’t spend a lot of time debating engine choices.

B-man

A buddy of mine had a 2018 with the 5.0 and 10 speed. It pulled his WX2060 with ease and pulled my 208 Grady just fine.

When towing it was generally in 8th-9th gear if I remember right with tow/haul activated.

I wouldn’t hesitate at all on buying one. Plenty of pep and power. We never raced, but just from myself driving it I’m sure it would have beat my diesel in a 0-60 if both trucks were empty. Add 10,000 pounds and the diesel would win, but the 5.0 would still do well with the 10 speed.

FinickyFish

I’ve got a 2013 with a 5.0. I pull an 18ft Mirrocraft just fine, I wouldnt balk at a 5.0 vs an Eco if thats whats available on the lot. The transmission overheats before the engine will have any issues. Why a “towing package” comes without an aux Trans cooler is beyond me… Sad when your wifes “foreign” car does a better job handling heat. But back to the point, you’ll have issues with everything but the engine on that Ford.

Musky Ed

I ordered a loaded Lariat 4 weeks ago, factory sent me a build date of June 6th a week ago. You can check online to see if that date is still valid. Sofar it’s still a go. Delivery not sure yet. What they are doing now is restricting some of the options where chips are somewhat short to the Lariat and above. The only feature short on a chip on mine was the chip for the auto shutoff. You can actually still get it if you want, but if you agree to not having it, they give you $50 off to delete that feature. I laughed and asked if anyone actually wanted it, and he said a few did. Also I got over $8000 off sticker with rebates and dealer discount. My big dealer in town wanted sticker price, and convently also forgot to mention 2 of the 3 rebates I qualified for. So, $5500 difference between the two dealers. Not sure yet if I’m actually going to take it yet when it comes in as I really like the truck I have and it only has 30000 miles on it, but with the discount, and trade in value at time of order, I probably will as long as trade in hasn’t changed much. Dealers are dealing if you get the right dealer. I also had a $2500 rebate coupon plus qualified for 2 other rebates. Not only are they starting to catch up on vehicles, but boat dealers also are starting to see boats come in. 3.5 Eco boost for me, if I take my order out, it will be three of them for me. I tow 6000# +, and it pulls it dramatically better than any of the dozen or more chevys that I have had. Friend had a 3.5 eco and traded it in on a new 5.0, kept it 5 months, it’s towing was so lacking, he traded it in on an eco. 18′ Aluminum boat you’ll probably be fine with a 5.0, but it won’t begin to compare to the 3.5 eco as to towing.

stevenoak

Doesn’t seem to be a lot of Eco fans here. But I like my 3.5. After pulling 10 years with a gutless truck that dropped from 14 to 6mpg pulling the boat. And lost 10 mph on a slight hill. It’s a pleasure to pull with. Some problems besides the motor. But in the days of covid built things. Think they all are subject to that.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Thanks. I think I’m pulling the trigger in the morning.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

5.0 all day long.

mnfisherman18

Yes it will work well. I have a ’13 with the 5.0 and it does just fine towing the exact same boat as yours. I also have towed it with a newer ’18 5.0 with the 10 speed and thought it performed noticeably better, would not hesitate to buy one. To be fair, the 2.7 and 3.5 have pretty solid reputations too and would not struggle with your boat.

CaptainMusky

5.0 is a better engine long term good choice.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I know this is an F-150 thread. I currently have a 2014 with the 5.0L engine. I’m considering down grading to a Ford Ranger super cab.

Obviously overall, my mileage is going to improve with a Ranger, but it will decrease when towing my boat. The question is, how much do you think it will decrease? That’s the really nice part about the F-150, the mileage is pretty much the same whether towing or not towing the boat. My boat/trailer weighs about 3500 pounds. A Ford Ranger is rated to tow up to 7500 pounds so I’m still less than 50% max towing capacity.

CaptainMusky

It won’t drop too much. You’re not towing nearly as much as your daily driving so don’t worry about it. Run E15 to save some money. E85 sucks balls.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I have a 5.0 and haven’t had any major issues. Water pump at 89k miles is all I can think of.

I pull a 17.5 glass boat without issue and a 23.5’ tritoon. The Tritoon is noticeable back there, but moreso because of wind and not the lack of HP/torque.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It won’t drop too much. You’re not towing nearly as much as your daily driving so don’t worry about it. Run E15 to save some money. E85 sucks balls.

Thanks for the info.

3Rivers

I have a 2011 platinum with 5.0 and 240k. It just keeps on going. I really liked the power boards, but pulled em off after one winter. They were not designed for cold salty climates.

There have been a LOT of issues with oil consumption and the 5.0. There have been various fixes such as a reprogramming and also longer dipsticks (really its true). Keep on eye on that if it concerns you.

Pitter patter

Considering that ford had made a v-8 for 90 years or so I’d say you’ll be fine

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have a 2014 F150 with the eco 3.5. When I went to the dealer to test drive, they let me bring my boat and tow it with 2 trucks, 1 with the 5.0, the other with the 3.5 eco. Drove the 5.0 first and it was noticeably better than the truck I had at the time (F150 with the 5.4). Then drove the 3.5 eco. The salesman came with for both trucks and we were both surprised and impressed with the 3.5 over the 5.0 when towing. Specs on the 2 trucks were the same except the motors.

Still have the 2014 F150, 145k miles with only minor issues and general maintenance so far

stevenoak

Crazy thought. Take your boat when you test drive. They may not let you use a new truck. But maybe a newer used one on the lot. Empty will be similar. But I think towing, like mentioned up a hill or higher speed the Eco is impressive. But how many miles do you tow out of 100,000. If less than 10%. Maybe not worth the additional cost. Or you could hold out for the new ALL ELECTRIC GM truck. What could go wrong!!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

For 2k more you can build a comparable F350. You will recoup that difference in 3 years on tabs for being non-commercial.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I just traded in my 2014 3.5 ecoboost on a 2022 5.0. It down shifts more when towing than ecoboost. Happy with it so far. I did the ecoboost timing chain twice. So I went to the 5.0.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Crazy thought. Take your boat when you test drive.

That is an interesting thought. Never really thought of that.

Great point on the amount of time spent towing. It represents a small fraction of what I use my truck for.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Great point on the amount of time spent towing. It represents a small fraction of what I use my truck for.

Exactly right, if you get even a small overall increase in mileage in going to a Ranger for 95%+ of your driving, then it’s going to be worth it no matter what mileage you get when towing.

Really like the new Rangers. Calling them “small” is only relative to how absolutely oversized half tons have become. Today’s Ranger is nearly the size of F150s back in the 80s and 90s.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

$69,000 sticker price for a new Lariat, No thanks.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

$69,000 sticker price for a new Lariat, No thanks.

For a half ton ? If so that’s absolutely crazy.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

$63k sticker for a brand new 2022 silverado LTZ with 6.2L, crew cab, 6.5ft box. Even that is ridiculous, but mostly in line with historical fully loaded pricing. Why anyone would by a lariat F150 with your choice of 3 inferior powerplants at 69k is beyond me.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.