UPF Clothing

• JMP1890

Does anyone wear the UPF clothing while they are fishing? Specifically the long sleeve shirts and neck sleeves (gaiters).

Looking for first hand experience as I have researched the UPF clothing and understand how it works, the different materials used, the protection levels, and so on. How is the comfort level thought the day? When the temp changes quickly as in spring / fall when the sun rises / sets, do you have to wear another layer to stay warm. Does it snag on things in the boat, truck, etc. or with fish hooks? Do you feel it was a good investment or are you using them at the advice of a doctor? What brand? Any good or bad experiences that a person may not think of?

Reason being that my old body doesn’t tolerate sunburn anymore. Current medical issue that is not skin cancer. I have been using sunblock the last 3 years and it works when I remember to reapply thought the day. I’m just trying to decide if it would be a good investment for me. I don’t have a money tree in the back yard or a rich uncle. I’m just like the rest here, trying to make good decisions with the dollars I have.

Thank you in advance for you input.

Ryan Hughes

I have a mixture of both under armor and Columbia upf shirts in long sleeve and short sleeve. Overall they have been great and I wear them all the time when I am fishing. My wife even has a couple Columbia upf shirts now. I have never used the neck gators but that is just because I don’t like things in my face.

I like the material they are made out of and it breaths very well. In the mornings and evenings I will have to put on a light jacket most of the time.

They don’t snag on boats or trucks ect, in that department they are just about like every other shirt. I have never managed to get a hook into one yet so I can’t help you there.

I think that they are worth the money especially if you can find them on sale. They are expensive at regular price but they go on sale regularly out west here at sportsmans warehouse you may want to look them up online. I have also found some on sale a Dick’s sports.

I initially bought them for a fishing trip to Mexico but have used them a lot for both fishing and just a normal day shirt when the weather is warm. I have bought more over the years and probably will continue to do so. I am personally interested in picking up a pair of the shorts or pants for the boat.

Overall I would recommend them and if you have anymore questions feel free to drop me a message.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have never gotten a sunburn under any clothing so I dont fully understand the relevance of UPF ratings on clothing?

FryDog62

I wear the long sleeves, neck gaitors, sometime long pants, etc and do not feel any hotter in them than a tank top when it’s hot and sunny out. The difference is they block sun.

I personally really do not like sunscreen – the feel, the smell, greasy fingers, sting the eyes and that you are supposed to reapply every 2 hours. Too much hassle. Switched to UPF stuff 3 years ago and really prefer it.

sktrwx2200

They work great. I have alot of Shimano and Columbia PFG gear. But nowadays I think everyone’s gear is up to par. It does what is supposed to do. I have a few of the Columbia PFG typical fishing type shirts the pockets, button ups, and they have a vent in the back of the shirt and with a tiny breeze it feels like your wearing nothing at all.

90% of the time I wear the long sleeved thin Poly type shirt. Because when you fish as much as I do. The forearms can only take so much of HIGH UV rays.
    But I like to keep covered up because I HATE using sunscreen because I think the fish can smell it on my baits… BUT that is another story.

Neck gators are very cheap and are great at keeping bugs off and late afternoon sun.

Its a no brainier. Especially if you have medical needs to keep the sun off. The stuff isn’t very expensive if you shop around a little bit.

Investing in your long term health….cant go wrong there

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I have never gotten a sunburn under any clothing so I dont fully understand the relevance of UPF ratings on clothing?

X2. I don’t get it.

-J.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

X3

You still need to put sunscreen on any exposed skin, right?

JMP1890

Suzuki and Jon, A long sleeve cotton, poly, etc. that you buy a department store are extremely hot in the summer and do not breath very well. I’m in MN also so you get get the weather. The UPF clothing wicks away moisture and allows the air to move through but does not allow the UV rays to get to your skin. One part of my condition is I sweat all the time. I can turn a shirt a different color sitting on the couch in January with the temp at 65. Regular shirts just don’t work. Sunscreen is a pain in the ??? as stated by others. I have to reapply every hour.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I wear both when the summer sun is out. When its cooler in spring and fall I wear a regular longsleeve shirt for a little more weight. The sun shirts are ultra lightweight and have vents, besides that I haven’t seen any magic out of them. Sun masks are great for a few things year round. I always wear around my neck to keep the sun off, to me they are uncomfortable to wear over your face and ears.

JMP1890

Thank you Ryan, frydog, & sktrwx2100. This is exactly what I was looking for. I will wear them more than just fishing. Probably every day I’m outside for a spell. Even items on sale, it doesn’t take long to spend $300.

Sktrwx210, I have a different philosophy on long term health but I’m probably jaded quite a bit. But saving a trip to the hospital is a big deal.

JMP1890

I wear both when the summer sun is out. When its cooler in spring and fall I wear a regular longsleeve shirt for a little more weight. The sun shirts are ultra lightweight and have vents, besides that I haven’t seen any magic out of them. Sun masks are great for a few things year round. I always wear around my neck to keep the sun off, to me they are uncomfortable to wear over your face and ears.

I may just have to get used to the sun mask or sleeve. I was worried about that piece but hoping it is something I can live with.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Agreed. I will say though that much of the UPF clothing is also designed to keep you cool. You can’t say the same for a flannel shirt or a wool scarf.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

FYI-Most of those sun gator/masks also work excellent as a dust mask while quading.
    That’s all we use and have many of them for that reason. Good to keep your face warm and protect from pelting rain while driving. Very versatile product.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Performance fishing shirts are very thin. The reason that they have UPF rating is because you wear them to protect you from the sun as an alternative, specifically for fishermen, than slathering on sunscreen. It’s purpose is 2 fold, sun protection and cooling. Most of them are rated 30, but I have seen 60. My guess is that since one of the purposes is sunscreen, they want you to know what it is rated.

Buffs are nice. I usually won’t put one on until I start sweating bad or the back of my neck gets hot. To me, they are kind of annoying if you just throw them on before that.

They are versatile too. I’ll start with it on the wrist to wipe sweat away on my face. Once I get hot it goes on the neck or as a head band tucked a little under the heat to prevent sweat marks on the hat and keep sweat off my face.

Like the Buff, I usually start out shirtless to get some sun for a tan. Honestly, the long sleeve shirts really are for guys out there fishing every day or all day.

I don’t know how important the wicking part is. But being lightweight it is cooler that even a short sleeve shirt and if its wet and you get a breeze you will feel the affects of it.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I want to add that I wore a Sims neck gaitor all day on Lake Superior on Tuesday and felt sunburnt on my whole face all day yesterday. I even had it tucked under my sunglasses on my nose. No exposed skin so I’m now a little skeptical and disappointed.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The ones rated UPF50?

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

HUK has some excellent UPF clothing – I was fishing a few weeks back in 90+ degree heat and rolled up my sleeves without giving it much thought. Was only out a few hours but the exposed skin was absolutely torched and the covered area was untouched. Looked like I was wearing a red pair of rubber dish washing gloves!

I don’t know how the other brands compare but I am a believer in the protection.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Whatever you do…make sure to have as much protection from the sun as possible. I just got diagnosed yesterday with skin cancer on the top of my head. Not a big deal (thankfully), just a spot that needs to be removed and all should be gone…for now. I went bald in my late 20’s and got me head scorched a few times back then but have always worn a hat outside for the last 30 years. So any burn you have now, may come back to haunt years later. I try to avoid being in direct sun during the midday and always apply sunscreen liberally on all exposed skin when I’m out. Yes, the sunscreen is messy but consider the alternative? I may start looking into this UPF clothing as well.

JMP1890

I want to add that I wore a Sims neck gaitor all day on Lake Superior on Tuesday and felt sunburnt on my whole face all day yesterday. I even had it tucked under my sunglasses on my nose. No exposed skin so I’m now a little skeptical and disappointed.

Have you washed the gaiter or was it fairly new? I’m not saying you did something wrong just a question that popped into my head. I’m a little skeptical that the UPF rating stays the same when washed multiple times.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

When it comes to sunscreen, I am glad they came up with the spray on kind. That stuff is convenient and not messy.

I have brothers who absolutely scorch themselves all the time. I don’t know how they do it and have escaped skin cancer so far. knock on wood. Their burns turn into tans. I peel at the slightest burn.

JMP1890

Whatever you do…make sure to have as much protection from the sun as possible. I just got diagnosed yesterday with skin cancer on the top of my head. Not a big deal (thankfully), just a spot that needs to be removed and all should be gone…for now. I went bald in my late 20’s and got me head scorched a few times back then but have always worn a hat outside for the last 30 years. So any burn you have now, may come back to haunt years later. I try to avoid being in direct sun during the midday and always apply sunscreen liberally on all exposed skin when I’m out. Yes, the sunscreen is messy but consider the alternative? I may start looking into this UPF clothing as well.

Sorry to hear that. You’ve been added to my prayer list every day. Can’t prove that it works but surely doesn’t hurt!

I still will have to use some sunscreen at times. Just trying to find an alternative to the sloppy stuff.

dbright
    Cambridge

I bought a couple long sleeve and short sleeve shirts last year and rarely wear anything else fishing now. I don’t deal with the heat as well as others and they definitely help keep you cooler then a regular t-shirt. My long sleeve shirts seem to get wore more often because of not needing to wear as much sunscreen. Make sure to try them on and not go by your normal shirt size though. A XL is normally what I wear for shirts but I drown in the two XL shirts I have.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I was comparing the sizes for UA and it seemed like the torso was the same, but the sleeves varied in length?

You should be able to buy good ones from $30-$40. Make sure the brand weaves the design into the shirt and doesn’t use screen printing. They all have different lines, and I stay away from the ones over $40. Most are their base line which handles the sun protection/cooling tech, with extra gimmicks.

Check out Baells online. You should find great sales and coupon codes online for them.

I really like some of the designs that they put into these performance shirts. They sure can create some cool designs.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I wear the pants and long sleeve upf stuff all the time. Finger less gloves and hat with the ear/neck protector flap on the back. Had a melanoma removed from my right forearm 7 years ago. I go in for a skin check twice a year. Doctors orders—are all covered skin and sunscreen on my face. My dermatologist is a fisherman and recommended a couple of sunscreen products. The one I use that He recommended is called Bullfrog in a pump bottle. Only place I can find the pump style is online. I keep a bottle in the boat and at home. Just got a couple of the gaiters but haven’t tried them yet. I am also dark complected and don’t burn easily.
    You can get some good deals on the clothes at the end of summer.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Also a lot of that summer stuff makes for a great base layer in the winter.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’m a big fan of the Simms Solarflex long sleeve shirts. There’s nothing more comfortable when it’s hot out. Not having to put sunscreen on covered areas is a bonus. I’ve bought them on sale for $30. I’ll wear a buff for sun protection when I feel like I really need it (long trip, Canada, etc.), but I’d wear a solarflex shirt every day if I could.

The only drawback to wearing the nylon/poly shirts and pants (I like the north face zip off pants most of the time, and the simms arapaima if it’s really hot) is that they don’t wipe worm dirt off your hands as well as a cotton t-shirt. I finally started using the old towel I’ve carried in my boat for years. Ha ha

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

Have you washed the gaiter or was it fairly new? I’m not saying you did something wrong just a question that popped into my head. I’m a little skeptical that the UPF rating stays the same when washed multiple times.

I bought mine last summer and washed it one time this winter. Because it smelled like sunscreen… doah

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Why did it smell like sunscreen? Did you wear it after putting sunscreen on?

I don’t know why washing a UPF garment would affect anything. Its the fabric that protects you from the sun.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Wearing it on your nose causes your sunglasses to fog up in cold weather. Put sunscreen on my nose and under my eyes.

Any other questions detective Holmes? Am I free to go? laugh

JMP1890

A wealth of knowledge here. Tip of the cap to everyone. Looks like I will be watching for sales in the next few months.

Tight lines everyone!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.