UPF Clothing

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Matt, the first and second paragraphs are different topics. I was just curious why there was sunscreen on it. And actually my mind was on the shirts, not the buffs, so I was picturing you putting sunscreen on and then throwing a performance shirt over it. That’d be kind of silly. D

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I only have a gaitor. And I did verify it is a Sims 50 UPF.

I’ve worn it about a dozen times now so I’m surprised about this latest outing.

Anyone else get sunburnt through one of these?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

It almost sounds like it blocks regular light but is transparent to UV, is that possible?

I’ve been wearing long sleeved shirts in the boat for years now. “Fly Fishing Shirts”, the ones with all the pockets and loops. And an ugly wide brimmed hat. This year I started wearing gloves, mainly because I wacked the back of my left hand open and they warned me about sun burning new skin where they stitched it back together. These are Simms fly fishing gloves, “finger less” and made of some kind of synthetic material that dries out quickly.

SR

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have tried several fishing-specific sun protection shirts that all 3 were hotter than the devil’s underpants. I was sweating like crazy in all of them.

The nylon material just does not breathe and those vent backs are worthless unless you do all your fishing in a 40 MPH wind.

Out of desperation I tried a Filson Feather Cloth shirt. Ahhhhhhh. Paradise found! Light as a feather, breathes like wearing nothing at all, durable, and complete freedom of movement.

I liked the Filson so much I now have 2 of them. Just got back from a prarie dog hunt last week, top temp was 104. Stayed comfortable, no sunburn.

I’m also a big believer in those blue cooling towels. Soak one in water, drape over back of neck. I hardly sweat at all with one of those on, they make it possible to work so much harder in hot weather it’s amazing.

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Thanks for reminding me we have cooling towels! I forgot about them. Well, we might only have one because we let one dry out and it cracked.

If your shirts truly are made out of nylon, that may be the problem. They should be made out of polyester.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We bought some more cooling towels. These things are worth their weight in gold.

munchy
    NULL

We bought some more cooling towels. These things are worth their weight in gold.

Stopped by Gander and found them for about $2 a piece. Picked up a good handful.

Jonesy

I have the Columbia long-sleeved shirts. I have bought some of them with hoods and it keeps my head much cooler than my hat. I’m a guy who sweats and is hot and I have worn the long sleeves in more than 90 degrees. What I really like about them is that when you catch the wind it works it’s way through you and cools you off pretty good.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.