Archery Turkey hunting questions!

• dandrews
    Jesup, Iowa

Hey guys,
    I am just wondering if people are having a hard time killing turkeys with a bow. I have hunted here in Iowa all month and have had plenty of chances of shots at birds 10 yds or less. I can’t seem to kill one! I have made 2 real good shots(or so I thought) and cannot find them when they run off. One had a blood trail 50-75yds long before I lost it. I even went home, dropped off the hunting gear and got a friends champion pointer to help me look. We looked for 8 hours with the dog and never found it. I have hunted turkeys for years with a gun but this is my first year with a bow out of a “Double Bull” blind. It is such a rush but I am pretty upset about losing those birds. Does anyone have any tips to help kill them without the running? I am using Rocket “Stricknine” broadheads with a 2″ cutting diameter. I have heard that most of them run,but die within 75-100 yds. Not for me! I shoot and watch them flop around all over the place till they lose the arrow and then they run. I usually wait for 30-45 minutes before tracking and it still doesn’t work! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks!
    D. Andrews

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

To me the perfect use for a wide mechanical head is the turkey. They can run a LOONG way if hit with a standard thunderhead type head. Their vitals are MUCH smaller than a deer…you can hit one seemingly dead center and it can be GONE.
    You need to know where the vitals are and destroy em….when you hit one get a runnin son! NAP makes a turkey mechanical that my buddies have had good luck with.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

To me the perfect use for a wide mechanical head is the turkey. They can run a LOONG way if hit with a standard thunderhead type head. Their vitals are MUCH smaller than a deer…you can hit one seemingly dead center and it can be GONE.
    You need to know where the vitals are and destroy em….when you hit one get a runnin son! NAP makes a turkey mechanical that my buddies have had good luck with.

marendt
    Lake City, MN

I think the best shot is to wait for the bird to turn around and leave your decoys. Shoot right between the shoulders, it will put them down instantly. I bagged my bird this spring, but it was a long hour wait for me before I went after my bird. I shot it right where the wing meets the shoulder, a shot I have killed many birds with. After a great pass through shot, it started to walk away. From previous hunts I’ve learned if you can get another arrow in him, the better. So I fired another shot just above the drum stick. Another great kill shot. So what does this bird do? It fly’s 150 yards across the valley! After an hour wait I went and found the bird in the adjacent woodlot, but when I went to pick it up, it started to run! I had an old high school football flashback and I tackled that tom and the hunt was over. When cleaning the bird, I could not believe that bird could even have taken a single step, both large holes were money shots. It just goes to show they are a tough bird to kill. Shooting them in the back is instant, as is the head. I use spitfire broadheads and have shot several birds now, but am considering the Guillitine broadhead for head only shots. Good luck in your hunt.

marendt
    Lake City, MN

I think the best shot is to wait for the bird to turn around and leave your decoys. Shoot right between the shoulders, it will put them down instantly. I bagged my bird this spring, but it was a long hour wait for me before I went after my bird. I shot it right where the wing meets the shoulder, a shot I have killed many birds with. After a great pass through shot, it started to walk away. From previous hunts I’ve learned if you can get another arrow in him, the better. So I fired another shot just above the drum stick. Another great kill shot. So what does this bird do? It fly’s 150 yards across the valley! After an hour wait I went and found the bird in the adjacent woodlot, but when I went to pick it up, it started to run! I had an old high school football flashback and I tackled that tom and the hunt was over. When cleaning the bird, I could not believe that bird could even have taken a single step, both large holes were money shots. It just goes to show they are a tough bird to kill. Shooting them in the back is instant, as is the head. I use spitfire broadheads and have shot several birds now, but am considering the Guillitine broadhead for head only shots. Good luck in your hunt.

dandrews
    Jesup, Iowa

Thanks guys!

I guess I gotta keep after em’ and it will hopefully fall in to place. Can’t kill em at home right? Thanks for the help and good luck to all of you out there!!!!!

D. Andrews

dandrews
    Jesup, Iowa

Thanks guys!

I guess I gotta keep after em’ and it will hopefully fall in to place. Can’t kill em at home right? Thanks for the help and good luck to all of you out there!!!!!

D. Andrews

reever_1
    Rochester Minnesota

Didn’t you have a video of this if I recall devil

reever_1
    Rochester Minnesota

Didn’t you have a video of this if I recall devil

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.