Coon sets for rookie

• erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Looking to do a little trapping (6-10 sets at most). I am planning to trap a waterway an ravine near where I deer hunt. The amount of coon I am seeing is insane! Figured something else to keep me busy , and a new challenege. Question is what is a basic/easy set for this? I am looking along the lines of a bucket set possibly? Any tips? Plan to use a 220 conibear from my research..last minute I know have a few buddies who do it as well so they will be a lot of help.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Foremost, check your local laws regarding the use of 220’s and restricted openings. I don’t know MN laws.

Here is a very quick and easy set I make with my 160’s
    I buy segments of PVC culvert and cut 24″ long. I use cable ties and attach mesh over the back side. I cut slots on each side of the front for the springs to slide into and stabilize the trap. Bait in the back, and place so a coon can see through it, and the go in nearly every time. I get a lot of refusals using buckets. I’m sure it is because they can not see through the bucket.

Also, I use a lot of footholds and drowning rods. Here is a link to a descriptive post I made last year on making drowning rods. IDO Trapping Drown Rods

Finally, depending on the locations, the drowning lock on aircraft cable and a sleepy #11 with a pocket set is very hard to beat!

TeamBurbot

In my area i like using box cubbies with 160s i make the boxes with a 6 inch over hang in front of the trap to keep dogs out of the trap but you can do the same with 220s. i use fish as bait and shell fish oil really sends out a good sent. good luk to you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.