coyote questions?

• TeamBurbot

i have tryed trapping yotes a little but have had no success, i have watched movies and what not and i prepare my traps the way i am suppose to. any advice would be a great help,

big_g
    Isle, MN

all outdoorsman, I haven’t actively trapped yotes in about 20 + years, but a couple years back, I had one that kept coming out into my alfalfa field in the evening and the deer would be gone, so I put out a set. Here’s how I have always done it…. I usually set on a field edge, on the south side of a treeline, basically a travel corridor. Ideally it was after harvest of say corn or beans and the field had been turned. I do shallow set of 2 leg holds, just under the surface, screen black dirt over the set. I would bury my bait (years ago, I would shoot rabbits and butcher them and put the meat in mayo jars for a month or so in the warm weather, so they got real stinky) between the traps about 3-4 inches under the soil. Typically, the yote will get caught in one trap while diggin’ the bait and eventually hit the second, securing and lowering a chew off possibility. Hope this helps you out It sure is fun when tending and seeing em squirm Good luck

Oh yeah, my yote in the alfalfa, was done in 2 nights

TeamBurbot

well thank you big G i have never tryed putting 2 traps at a set but it does sound like it would work. thanks for your info. every little bit helps

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Are you seeing tracks that show they are avioding your sets? Or are you seeing no activity at all?

Here’s a few dirt hole variations I do

Another idea when they get very educated is to dig a fake den set. If the ground is still soft enough, dig a egg shaped hole as dee as you can. The coyote will set up on the mound of dirt in front of it every time. Very curious animals at times

TeamBurbot

The few sets i had out last year i was not seeing much activity at all but i knew the fox and coyotes were there cause we would see them when we were out hunting. so maybe its just my sets. i will try again this year with all your tips.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

A huge key in being successfull with K9s is location. Keep in mind you need to make sets along the normal travel paths. They are very difficult to draw a 100 yrds over to find your set. Keep your eyes open for scat, tracks, hair, or other signs. Your scent is another huge factor.
    Another mistake I see frequently is over checking/re-luring the set. Check from as far away as possible. If you see tracks going up near your set, and turn away, don’t panic. It may have a full belly and just scoped out an easy meal to return to. I have sets burried under 4 or 5 inches of fresh snow that coyotes have walked up to 5 feet away from. A many nights later when the temps dropped 10 or 15 degrees, I connected when they returned. Also, K9s usually will have a sizeable territory. It may take them 3 to 6 nights to circle around. They have good memory, so if one noses up to your set and doesn’t have a reason to be alarmed, most likely it will be back….unless it answers one of my calls and I shoot it

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.