Tournament Time

• Ripjiggen

The hate came from Hermantown saying STA was too good to play in A because they recruit. STA moved up when they developed there hockey program. Hermantown has not.
    Pot kind of calling the kettle black.

I am fine with some sections not being equal and sending some teams that are not the best team in the state to the tourney. They are kids and those teams that make it from certain sections may not be the top 10 team in the state it’s a memory they will never forget.
    I mean is really that important to determine who is the best team in the state in a single elimination format for high school kids.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have nothing against Hermantown.

I do have a vendetta against Edina cake and the private schools like HM, St Thomas, and Benilde. Benilde and St Thomas both did the moral thing and moved to class AA, where they belong. So I’ll give them the credit for that move.

My Father’s friend’s grandson plays for Maple Grove on the top line and he’s an assistant captain. He scored a goal and had 2 assists against Edina today. The MG Crimson are my horse.

Ripjiggen

I do have a vendetta against Edina cake and the private schools like HM, St Thomas, and Benilde. Benilde and St Thomas both did the moral thing and moved to class AA, where they belong. So I’ll give them the credit for that move.

Y? Just haters gonna hate?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t like the private schools recruiting players out of their original home district.

Edina, we’ll I just don’t like the cake lol

CaptainMusky

Me neither. Doesn’t make sense to me at all. Hating on single A private schools that dominated class A makes sense. But hating on a small outstate public school just because they win too much is weird. I mean no one outside of Roseau hates Warroad, do they?

Hermantown functions essentially as a private school for hockey. They have kids from all of the Duluth schools each year. It’s not about success for me it’s about that.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

I don’t like the private schools recruiting players out of their original home district.

Edina, we’ll I just don’t like the cake lol

Maybe some of the better hockey players want to go to a hockey traditional school to further develop and get a great private school education instead of going to their crappy high school. In a city that they did not choose to live in. Play with their friends that are similar caliber and have similar interest.
    Trust me they don’t have to recruit. Shocking but kids want to go there.

So should all MN athletes go to the U of M because they live here?

CaptainMusky

Absolutely not but schools that actively recruit is another thing. Edina may not do it as much but they’re in the same tier as hill Murray to me in AA. Hermantown plucks players from other cities like crazy. I put more value in teams where they are all their own kids. That’s how you build programs.

Ripjiggen

Trust me those schools don’t have to actively recruit. Build a program they will come.
    So is it a private school thing that is hatebale or a good school thing that you hate.
    Again so kids/young adults can’t decide where they want to go to school?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Trust me those schools don’t have to actively recruit. Build a program they will come.
    So is it a private school thing that is hatebale or a good school thing that you hate.

Build a program and they will come…after they’ve recruited players to come play for them.

I’m sure there are plenty of players and students that actually do want to attend a private school. What I still don’t like is using a recruiting tactic to entice a player to go to Hill Murray versus White Bear Lake simply because they were recruited to do so. If the player wants to do it on their own, fine. Some of these private schools are pulling in players from 5 cities away. A public school like WBL doesn’t actively recruit players from other cities. That’s my gripe.

Apparently Hermantown is guilty of it too. This I was not aware of.

CaptainMusky

I have always been against 💯 private schools being in class A. Breck, Benilde St Thomas etc. Hermantown is in that ilk now too with how many kids they usually get outside of their district.

Ripjiggen

If these private schools only excepted kids from the city they reside in they wouldn’t be schools. St. Thomas resides in a city of 11,000 people with a public school.
    Many kids go to these schools from outside the city they reside not just hockey players.

Gim what is a recruiting tactic?
    Could the coach from WBL not recruit kids to stay at the public school?
    Maybe Hill just has better coaching.
    Or care about student athletes more.

Hill Murry has been strong hockey school for over 50 years.
    BSM for over 30
    Cretin first appearance was almost 35
    years ago.

futurepoorperson

Warroad also recruits, sometimes from out of state & also from Canada.

tswoboda

Don’t forget about the USHL. They pulled a Mr. Hockey finalist from the Omaha Lancers this year.

Love the public/private recruiting banter. That’s a big part of the state tourney, whether it actually makes any sense or not. It gives casual fans someone to cheer for/against in every game even though they don’t know anything about the team or players. So everyone knows the correct order right… whistling

Iron Range > Canada Border > any other team north of Brainerd >>>> Moorhead (but never to win it) > Non-Metro > MPLS/St. Paul > Suburbs > Edina >>>>> Private Schools > Hill Murray >>>>>>>>>>>>> single A private schools (are there any left??)

…and for a lot of haters I guess Hermantown falls after Hill Murray

Sodie
    Alma , Wisconsin

Captain Musky. Where do you get your info on Hermantown ? You are not even close to being correct.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>futurepoorperson wrote:</div>

Don’t forget about the USHL. They pulled a Mr. Hockey finalist from the Omaha Lancers this year.

Love the public/private recruiting banter. That’s a big part of the state tourney, whether it actually makes any sense or not. It gives casual fans someone to cheer for/against in every game even though they don’t know anything about the team or players. So everyone knows the correct order right… whistling

Iron Range > Canada Border > any other team north of Brainerd >>>> Moorhead (but never to win it) > Non-Metro > MPLS/St. Paul > Suburbs > Edina >>>>> Private Schools > Hill Murray >>>>>>>>>>>>> single A private schools (are there any left??)

…and for a lot of haters I guess Hermantown falls after Hill Murray

Like I said haters gonna hate.

Sodie
    Alma , Wisconsin

I was born in Hermantown. Lived there for 46 years. I watched the hockey program grow and the effort that was put into it by the whole community. The hockey program really took off after the ice arena was built in the 80’s. Captain Musky – I suggest if you want to see how a hockey program is built to show up at the Hermantown ice arena on a Saturday at 8 am and watch , walk outside to the outdoor ice rinks the young kids that are there would amaze anyone. There success is by great coaches from beginning to end and the support of the parents.

MNdrifter

A long night? I’ll give ‘em one OT, then I’m going to bed. 😴

Ripjiggen

I was born in Hermantown. Lived there for 46 years. I watched the hockey program grow and the effort that was put into it by the whole community. The hockey program really took off after the ice arena was built in the 80’s. Captain Musky – I suggest if you want to see how a hockey program is built to show up at the Hermantown ice arena on a Saturday at 8 am and watch , walk outside to the outdoor ice rinks the young kids that are there would amaze anyone. There success is by great coaches from beginning to end and the support of the parents.

Or Edina whichever is closer. coffee

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

A long night? I’ll give ‘em one OT, then I’m going to bed. 😴

I quit after the third period. Apparently Andover won in the second OT.

Another disappointment for the Spuds at state. But hey, at least they won the section. coffee

CaptainMusky

Bump to MN confirmed. Two legends one in the making.

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1647007625059.jpg

Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sodie wrote:</div>

Or Edina whichever is closer. coffee

You could say that about almost any arena. The fact is that kids leave/get pulled out of decent programs to go to these powerhouses. Lots of them get pulled if they show talent/drive in mites.

Hard to build a program if all of the good kids leave…

I’m not bashing as I would do the same if my kid exceled in a sport. You want the best for your kids, right?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Two legends one in the making.

That’s such a great pic!

Iron Range > Canada Border > any other team north of Brainerd >>>> Moorhead (but never to win it) > Non-Metro > MPLS/St. Paul > Suburbs > Edina >>>>> Private Schools > Hill Murray >>>>>>>>>>>>> single A private schools

I think this is pretty accurate, except Non-metro is equal to any team north of Brainerd. Luverne going on a run is just as cool as Coleraine.

tswoboda

Ripjiggen wrote:
    Iron Range > Canada Border > any other team north of Brainerd >>>> Moorhead (but never to win it) > Non-Metro > MPLS/St. Paul > Suburbs > Edina >>>>> Private Schools > Hill Murray >>>>>>>>>>>>> single A private schools

I think this is pretty accurate, except Non-metro is equal to any team north of Brainerd. Luverne going on a run is just as cool as Coleraine.

Let’s Go Andover! waytogo

CaptainMusky

That’s such a great pic!

When Lou Nanne interviewed him after the game he says “ALex, this is Lou Nanne” Alex goes, oh hey! LOL that was hilarious. Seems like a great kid. I hope he explodes the rest of the tournament.
    I wasnt watching the games last night since the Wild were on, sounds like I missed out on a barn burner.

AK Guy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    That’s such a great pic!

When Lou Nanne interviewed him after the game he says “ALex, this is Lou Nanne” Alex goes, oh hey! LOL that was hilarious. Seems like a great kid. I hope he explodes the rest of the tournament.
    I wasnt watching the games last night since the Wild were on, sounds like I missed out on a barn burner.

I’m glad I wasn’t the only who noticed that. Alex was all business when he was being interviewed. But when Lou introduced himself he realized he was talking to a legend and his whole demeanor changed in such a great way. It was classic.

CaptainMusky

Warroad and Mahtomedi game was entertaining. I thought Warroad was going to run away with it, but they came storming back. Forced OT, but just lost. Great game.

Walleye Man42

Hopefully the next game is as entertaining as the first, but I have my doubts.

deertracker

I knew we didn’t stand a chance against Hermantown but still hoped that we’d make them play for it. I said final would be 7-2 before the game. Always next season.
    DT

shady5

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Absolutely not but schools that actively recruit is another thing. Edina may not do it as much but they’re in the same tier as hill Murray to me in AA. Hermantown plucks players from other cities like crazy. I put more value in teams where they are all their own kids. That’s how you build programs.

Who are these players that H-town has recruited? I lived there for ten years, every player on that team today went to kindergarten in H-town with my son, so when did they “recruit” them? Look at all of the high end players over the past decade (Pionk x2, Biondi, Samberg, Koepke, Sandelin, Thomas, Aamodt, Jacques, Francisco, Kero, Plante x2, Kohanski, Hansen, etc, etc.), they all were born there, grew up there, and most of the families of the past players still live there. So who are you talking about? Maybe educate yourself before embarrassing yourself.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Didn’t Drew LeBlanc go there too? He won the Hobey at St Cloud.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.