Tournament Time

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Had a great time last weekend at the Girls State Hockey tournament. My cousin’s daughter was playing in the final, so we went down to watch the games. Awesome finals although Hockeytown USA just put it into “playoff gear” and steamrolled to the A championship. I didn’t have a lot of doubt about that one, the Warriors were really on a mission.

Andover vs Minnetonka was a lot more interesting. Minnetonka had the blue machine firing on all cylinders and I think the Cake Eaters were looking past them a little in the semis. Bad move. In the finals, it was a nail-biter on both sides. Andover went 1 shot for 1 goal in the opening frame, and then got up 2-0, but from there it was all Minnetonka all the time and the only thing keeping Andover in it was their goalkeeper and a lot of defensive scrambling. Awesome ending with Andover equalizing and then pulling ahead with a breakaway goal with 2 minutes left on the clock. Then they hung on for the win. Great game, really giving the fans their money’s worth on that one.

Now for the boy’s section finals. Missing some of the traditional powerhouses this year and for some other really big names it’s far from a sure thing.

A Sectionals

1A: #3 Albert Lea vs. #4 New Prague, Wed. 5:30 p.m. – Rochester Rec Center

2A: #1 Minneapolis vs. #2 Delano, Wed, 7 p.m. – St. Louis Park Rec Center

3A: #1 New Ulm vs. #2 Mankato East/Loyola, Wed. 7 p.m. – Mayo Event Center Mankato

5A: #3 St. Cloud Cathedral vs. #4 Monticello, Wed. 7 p.m. – Elk River Ice Arena

6A: #1 Alexandria vs. #2 Fergus Falls, Thur. 7 p.m. – St. Cloud MAC

7A: #1 Hermantown vs. #2 Duluth Denfeld, Wed. 7 p.m. – Amsoil Arena Duluth

All I have to say about the A sections is Go Denfeld. whistling I’m probably not alone on this one.

Pretty interesting on the AA side:

1AA: #1 Lakeville South vs. #2 Lakeville North, Thur. 7 p.m. – Rochester Rec Center

2AA: #3 Chaska vs. #4 Prior Lake, Wed. 7 p.m. – Braemar Edina

3AA: #1 Cretin-Derham Hall vs. #3 #Eastview, Thur. 7 p.m. – Braemar Edina

5AA: #1 Rogers vs. #2 Maple Grove, Thur. 7 p.m. – Elk River Ice Arena

6AA: #1 Benilde-St. Margaret’s vs. #2 Edina, Wed. 7 p.m. – Bloomington Ice Garden

7AA: #1 Andover vs. #2 Grand Rapids, Thur. 7 p.m. – Amsoil Arena Duluth

8AA: #1 Moorhead vs. #3 Elk River, Wed. 7 p.m. – St. Cloud MAC

Benilde is going to give the Cake Eaters all they can handle down in 6. Interesting in Section 1 with the battle of the Lakevilles.

Oh and Go Rapids, Go Spuds!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The section 2AA semifinals had a couple of big upsets on Saturday. Prior Lake took down EP and Chaska beat Minnetonka in OT. Glad to see EP eliminated as they have played in three state class AA title games.

I am in St Cloud for the week and I might go check out the 8AA title game at the MAC on Wednesday.

Ripjiggen

So from Minnetonka perspective Edina are cake eaters? Now that’s funny.

Will probably be the last year the Lakevilles battle it out for some time.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

On our side of the river, Hudson is heading back to state this year. My buddies kid is a senior. Got to watch them play Stevens Point last Wed in first round of sectionals and they beat them 7 – 0. They sure looked good. They beat Superior Friday night 5 – 2. Hoping they make it back/back state champions. It is pretty cool seeing their coach Davis Drewiske (former Kings/Canadians player with a Stanley Cup) come back and coach High School.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m a former Skipper. And that perspective is accurate lol

Angler II

Had a great time last weekend at the Girls State Hockey tournament. My cousin’s daughter was playing in the final, so we went down to watch the games. Awesome finals although Hockeytown USA just put it into “playoff gear” and steamrolled to the A championship. I didn’t have a lot of doubt about that one, the Warriors were really on a mission.

Andover vs Minnetonka was a lot more interesting. Minnetonka had the blue machine firing on all cylinders and I think the Cake Eaters were looking past them a little in the semis. Bad move. In the finals, it was a nail-biter on both sides. Andover went 1 shot for 1 goal in the opening frame, and then got up 2-0, but from there it was all Minnetonka all the time and the only thing keeping Andover in it was their goalkeeper and a lot of defensive scrambling. Awesome ending with Andover equalizing and then pulling ahead with a breakaway goal with 2 minutes left on the clock. Then they hung on for the win. Great game, really giving the fans their money’s worth on that one.

Now for the boy’s section finals. Missing some of the traditional powerhouses this year and for some other really big names it’s far from a sure thing.

A Sectionals

1A: #3 Albert Lea vs. #4 New Prague, Wed. 5:30 p.m. – Rochester Rec Center

2A: #1 Minneapolis vs. #2 Delano, Wed, 7 p.m. – St. Louis Park Rec Center

3A: #1 New Ulm vs. #2 Mankato East/Loyola, Wed. 7 p.m. – Mayo Event Center Mankato

5A: #3 St. Cloud Cathedral vs. #4 Monticello, Wed. 7 p.m. – Elk River Ice Arena

6A: #1 Alexandria vs. #2 Fergus Falls, Thur. 7 p.m. – St. Cloud MAC

7A: #1 Hermantown vs. #2 Duluth Denfeld, Wed. 7 p.m. – Amsoil Arena Duluth

All I have to say about the A sections is Go Denfeld. whistling I’m probably not alone on this one.

Pretty interesting on the AA side:

1AA: #1 Lakeville South vs. #2 Lakeville North, Thur. 7 p.m. – Rochester Rec Center

2AA: #3 Chaska vs. #4 Prior Lake, Wed. 7 p.m. – Braemar Edina

3AA: #1 Cretin-Derham Hall vs. #3 #Eastview, Thur. 7 p.m. – Braemar Edina

5AA: #1 Rogers vs. #2 Maple Grove, Thur. 7 p.m. – Elk River Ice Arena

6AA: #1 Benilde-St. Margaret’s vs. #2 Edina, Wed. 7 p.m. – Bloomington Ice Garden

7AA: #1 Andover vs. #2 Grand Rapids, Thur. 7 p.m. – Amsoil Arena Duluth

8AA: #1 Moorhead vs. #3 Elk River, Wed. 7 p.m. – St. Cloud MAC

Benilde is going to give the Cake Eaters all they can handle down in 6. Interesting in Section 1 with the battle of the Lakevilles.

That final game was freaking awesome. My wife played hockey throughout high school basically when girls hockey was just getting rolling. My daughter started this year and really enjoyed watching the game.

The level the girls are playing at these days is amazing. The sport has come a long way in the last 15 years.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Thanks for sharing grouse! Definitely my favorite time of year!

Sodie
    Alma , Wisconsin

Grouse why – Go Denfeld ? What is the issue with Hermantown?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

I’m a former Skipper. And that perspective is accurate lol

Being from Minneapolis it’s always been Edina that we called cake eaters. But, anyone west of France Ave I’d put in that category. chased

brandmoney

Eastview beat STA in the quarterfinals in double OT, I’m hoping they can defy all odds and topple CDH as well

BigWerm
    SW Metro

So from Minnetonka perspective Edina are cake eaters?

I think from every perspective Edina is the Cake Eaters. If unavailable other wealthy metro areas may also be called Cake Eaters, but Edina is THEE #1.

tswoboda

Has there been a AA tourney with no northern teams? Would hate to see that happen!

Cake eater comment seems to have touched a nerve, well done jester Edina is the OG cake eaters!

Ripjiggen

Not so much I just found it funny. I played against the cake eaters in state, I was not from Tonka however. jester

tswoboda

No love for Section 8A??

#1 Warroad vs. #2 Thief River Falls, Thurs. 7 p.m. – East Grand Forks

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Has there been a AA tourney with no northern teams? Would hate to see that happen!

Section 8AA’s representative is almost always Moorhead. But rarely do they actually win the state tournament, and usually they don’t even make it to the final. I can remember when Matt Cullen was there they may have won, which is a LONG time ago.

Since 2008, only one non-metro team has won the class AA title. That was Grand Rapids in 2017. I think its safe to say that the best teams in class AA are in the metro area and the results bear that out.

tswoboda

Section 8AA’s representative is almost always Moorhead. But rarely do they actually win the state tournament, and usually they don’t even make it to the final

Spuds have taken 2nd a million times but never won it. Roseau is also in section 8 so it’s not always Moorhead.

No doubt metro teams dominate AA, I’m just wondering if there’s ever been a tourney without a single Northern school. I don’t think that’s ever happened, but probably won’t be long until it does. There’s only 2 sections with Northern teams and they have north burbs teams creeping in more every year.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Spuds have taken 2nd a million times but never won it.

They’ve never won? Are you sure they didn’t win it at least once with Matt Cullen?

deertracker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

They’ve never won? Are you sure they didn’t win it at least once with Matt Cullen?

Looks like they were probably runner-up twice with Cullen.
    DT

tswoboda

You really didn’t know this? They are very sensitive about it. And some people love to remind them they’ve never actually won whistling

CaptainMusky

You really didn’t know this? They are very sensitive about it. And some people love to remind them they’ve never actually won whistling

It is surprising that they havent won with some of the teams they have had, but anyone who really follows HS hockey knows they hadnt. The Hermantown thing is getting annoying. Every dang year they are in the Final it seems. I guess Id rather have them then a Blake or St Thomas Academy in A.
    You guys see the fight that broke out in the stands at the WBL game against Tartan? Apparently the WBL students were really rowdy and a mom chewed them out for their foul mouths around little kids and someone pushed her down the bleachers and then a fight broke out with adults and kids. Pretty dang sad what this is coming to.

Justin riegel

I think I am going to try and take the kids to the Gentry Academy versus Hill Murray game tonight. That should be a good one to watch.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You really didn’t know this? They are very sensitive about it.

Its probably before my time to be honest. I’m not really old enough to remember when he played there. I just assumed that they had won at least once during that era. Shameful!

I’ll be attending the Elk River-Moorhead section 8AA final tonight. Wouldn’t bother me if Elk River won.

deertracker

You really didn’t know this? They are very sensitive about it.

Its probably before my time to be honest. I’m not really old enough to remember when he played there. I just assumed that they had won at least once during that era. Shameful!

I’ll be attending the Elk River-Moorhead section 8AA final tonight. Wouldn’t bother me if Elk River won.

I believe he graduated in 1995.
    DT

tswoboda

How was the game? Looked like a wild one at the MAC… standing room only by the start of warm-ups?

Ripjiggen

Looks like the Cake Eaters mean business. Didn’t give up a goal all sections.

And Denfeld well. Did they play without a goalie or something? coffee

tswoboda

Looks like the Cake Eaters mean business. Didn’t give up a goal all sections.

And Denfeld well. Did they play without a goalie or something? coffee

rotflol

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220303-094224_Twitter.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

How was the game? Looked like a wild one at the MAC… standing room only by the start of warm-ups?

It was freaking awesome! I haven’t been to a live sporting event since March of 2019. Man it was great to see some live hockey again. Definitely a barn burner and worth my 10 bucks to get in. Full sell out plus standing room. I tried to sit in a neutral area but kinda got invaded by Elk River fans lol so I just cheered for them.

Edina can go kick rocks. Maybe this is the Spud’s year at state. Wouldn’t hold my breath though.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Hudson will be playing for the Wisconsin State championship tomorrow. They won their first round game today 6-0. Outshot them 48-2. Hoping they can make it back to back champions. Not quite the same as the MN state tourney but still pretty cool.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Outshot them 48-2.

Did you intend to type 48-2 or was that a mistake?

Hill Murray vs WBL again tonight.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.