This years project

• hillhiker
    SE MN

I’m adding a plot at the permission farm I hunt. The farmer cleaned up the trees in the marked area with the bulldozer, so now I just need need to kill some weeds and plant. It should end up being close to a 1/4 acre at the top of the draw. I plan to do a mix of clover and oats to get things started. Hopefully I can get the majority of this done before the crops go in, and my only access will be on foot. Anyone else working on any projects? Deer season 2023 starts now!

Attachments:
    1. Capture-1.png

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Last year I spent a lot of time planting a red and white clover mix behind our big shed up north. I was just up there and it looks like barren ground so if it doesn’t come back like the guy that sold me the seed I’m done

hillhiker
    SE MN

Biggest concern for me is the number of deer vs plot size, but when the farmer says give it a shot you might as well. The dog was a huge help clearing brush from the edges of the plot this weekend!

Attachments:
    1. 20230429_141309-scaled.jpg

Jackfish
    Wayzata, MN

I planted a big mix of stuff last August including rye, wheat, clover, etc…it was the only thing green in the area when I checked it last weekend…was getting hammered good…this is our 3rd year experimenting…super fun and rewarding…all I have is an ATV and some fairly marginal equipment…the deer don’t seem to mind!

Attachments:
    1. 8D3F29F4-BD91-4C45-92E9-765A63D0E336-scaled.jpeg

hillhiker
    SE MN

I stopped down after looking for mushrooms this morning, and it looks like a got a pretty good kill after the second spraying. I got the seed down as well so now I just need the weather to cooperate. I did get the first pics of some bucks in the plot!

Attachments:
    1. MUD_0066-scaled.jpg

hillhiker
    SE MN

The food plot has been a roller coaster. The clover came up, it dried up, and the weeds took over. I resprayed, mowed down the whole plot with a brush blade on a weed whip, and planted again last week. I ran down to the farm today and things are starting to look up!

I hung a couple cameras as well this afternoon, and checked on the pond project from a few years ago. Between me and the farmer we dug out the pond and planted this whole area. I jumped 3 bucks off the edge of the cattails one looked pretty good already. It’s good to see the work pay off!

Attachments:
    1. 20230615_161430-scaled.jpg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.