The Vikings. Now I know why I quick caring 25 years ago

• jeff_huberty
    Inactive

When the Vinkings signed Cousins my first thought was he has a three year window to help win a Super Bowl. I was a bit skeptical about him doing well in the first year, with a new QB,would the team play well enough to get there?
    As this season has progressed it looks like there are several teams with more talent than the Vikings will be able to handle.
    The overal play of Cousins throughout this season is dissapointing. Yes, the o-line play was a significant factor in his lack off success. I have a hard time trying to blame the o-line on his lack off moving out and away from the pressure when he needed to step up or step out to throw. The pick 6’s, the batted down passes, standing in one spot when running was an option.
    I can’t see this team being able to overcome the talent levels of the Rams the Saints or the Bears in the next two seasons.
    $28 million for 8-7-1? what will they get for the next $56,000,000?

This QB signing may just replace the Herschal Walker trade as the biggest failed attempt to get to the Super Bowl.

coffee

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

When the Vinkings signed Cousins my first thought was he has a three year window to help win a Super Bowl. I was a bit skeptical about him doing well in the first year, with a new QB would the team play well enough to get there.
    As this season has progressed it looks like there are several teams with more talent than the Vikings will be able to handle.
    The overal play of Cousins throughout this season is dissapointing. Yes, the o-line play was a significant factor in his lack off success. I have a hard time trying to blame the o-line on his lack off moving out and away from the pressure when he needed to step up or step out to throw. The pick 6’s, the batted down passes, standing in one spot when running was an option.
    I can’t see this team being able to overcome the talent levels of the Rams the Saints or the Bears in the next two seasons.
    $28 million for 8-6-1? what will they get for the next $56,000,000?

This QB signing may just replace the Herschal Walker trade as the biggest failed attempt to get to the Super Bowl.

coffee

I found a profile pic for ya.

Attachments:
    1. 297E0092-0F90-46E6-91C2-2FCEA38BDF9D.jpeg

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Although I agree that hindsight is 20/20, one cannot deny the red flags present that pointed towards Cousins as more of an average QB than top tier:

-The Redskins refusing to commit long term to a high character guy that they have a large sample size on

-0 playoff wins

-4 career wins against .500 or better teams

-2017 year QBR of 54.4

There were people skeptical of this signing from the beginning. Many who were intoxicated with the “Purple Drank” just didn’t want to hear it.

This season, Cousins threw for more TDs with a lower interception percentage than any other year in his career. His first year in MN was fairly predictable (or slightly better than normal) compared to his entire career. If anyone deserves blame, it’s the MN coaching staff and GM who paid a hefty sum for a known commodity, while thinking they somehow had the magic touch to turn Cousins into something he’s not.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

For some reason I am just not that disappointed or surprised with the loss, heck I even slept great after watching parts of both the Packer and Vikings games. It’s not like my line broke on a 30″ walleye right at the bottom of the hole… They will all be back next season to entertain and disappoint us again!

I am worried about EPG and what he is going to do with all the free time he just got handed…
    no tailgating, no parade, no celebration…

skinnywater

They say if the moon is right and there are no clouds in the sky, you can still see Adam Thielen whining for another pass interference call

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

They say if the moon is right and there are no clouds in the sky, you can still see Adam Thielen whining for another pass interference call

Thats how the game is played these days. Try and catch the pass and if you fail start looking for the flag.

The NFL will have a problem the further the Bears go in the play-offs. If they don’t allow the Bears to play defense there will be a flag on every pass play. These games are bogging down with all the replays and penalties to be a slower game then baseball.

It makes for boring football.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Really?

Attachments:
    1. Erin-Whinning-on-Every-Play.png

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Should I go on?

Attachments:
    1. Erin-Whining-on-Every-Play-2.png

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

More?

Attachments:
    1. Erin-Whining-on-Every-Play-3.png

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Google has about 400 more pics of Aaron crying his way through a game. If you’d like to see em… and you are going to bring up Thielen?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Although I agree that hindsight is 20/20, one cannot deny the red flags present that pointed towards Cousins as more of an average QB than top tier:
    -The Redskins refusing to commit long term to a high character guy that they have a large sample size on

-0 playoff wins

-2017 year QBR of 54.4

Please excuse my ignorance for being a casual football fan but what was option B?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I found a profile pic for ya.

Thanks, since you are in your classy New Year Mode, heres perfect profile example for you.

Attachments:
    1. Unknown-2.jpg

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Please excuse my ignorance for being a casual football fan but what was option B?

Save your ignorance for the Wild thread waytogo

toast Happy New Year toast

FryDog62

I stopped watching the Vikings and Football about the second year of Denny Green’s regime (yes, that’s 25 years ago for me too) and don’t miss it at all.

Back then, I started hearing statistics each year of how bad these guys really are on and off the field, and the amount of arrests every week, drugs, dui’s, domestics, love boats, dog fight clubs, etc. And now you hear more and more about the damage to their bodies, concussions, shortened life spans, etc – all for our viewing benefit…

Now instead I enjoy beautiful Fall Sundays fishing when no one else is on the water…

…and I no longer get heartburn at the end of every season saying “Well, maybe next year..”

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

And before all you Cousins backers start pleading your case, tell me one big game he’s ever won. Ever.

Tell me one team he’s ever been on that has had even a DECENT offensive line, and a defense that has shown up in those big games.

And to say Bridgewater would be better than Cousins is a complete joke. If you want to see 5 MPH floating passes you go ahead and root for Hey Teddy.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

The difficult part about all of this is no one really knows what the problem is.. I mean, pinpointing the problem.. Is Cousins not good because he has no time to throw and it’s on the O-Line? Is the offense bad because of the play calling? Is the Defense underperforming because of the coaching? Are we not running the ball enough? Are we forced to pass because we are getting behind early? Who really knows….

Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

Google has about 400 more pics of Aaron crying his way through a game. If you’d like to see em… and you are going to bring up Thielen?

Seriously?

This isnt just Aaron, its about 90% of all the QB’s and receivers out there after every play that doesn’t go their way, I see way more whining and “acting” by receivers…
    Now true with the way rules have become the lines between what is a legal hit or not, or what is pass interference has become blurred. About the only rules that are easy to call anymore are helmet to helmet hits, hitting the returner after signalling fair catch and possibly facemasking (but that one can also be controversial at times).

With the way the league is running things and how inconsistent reffing has become I find myself watching fewer and fewer games. Who knows maybe next year I will not even bother with the NFL at all. I find watching hockey and rugby more enjoyable these days.

Regardless I think we all knew by midseason that neither the the Packers nor Vikings were good enough this year to make it through a 3 game playoff scenario and win the Superbowl as well.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Yesterdays blame falls completely on the Head Coach and the rest of the coaching staff.
    The team was mentally un-prepared for the game. The same way they were unprepared for last years game against the Saints and Eagles.

Shawn30

I’m a Denver fan, but I totally understand. From an outside perspective The Vikings are not far off from a Superbowl, hopefully win

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

And to say Bridgewater would be better than Cousins is a complete joke. If you want to see 5 MPH floating passes you go ahead and root for Hey Teddy.

With 110 total passing yards from Bridgwater yesterday he did come relatively close to surpassing the total yards the Vikings put in the books yesterday. chased devil I think he might have thrown a couple over 15 yrds.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

-0 playoff wins

-2017 year QBR of 54.4

Great question. I’m not a GM to make that decision. I’d assume use that cap space to target someone else or keep Keenum and add some O-Line pieces?

I think you’re missing my point that I’m not blaming Cousins. He threw 30TDs and 10 picks which is a solid season. My issue is with people who thought he’d magically become an MVP caliber QB in the Vikings system. The Vikings got exactly what they should’ve expected. A solid QB who is high character but probably has a ceiling of what he produced this season.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Coach, OC, and Cousins. Did any of them actually expect our O line to do well? It’s not like they’ve been leaking like a siv all year right? Where’s the 2 step drop n throw plays? Slants? RB screens? Bad game plan, bad execution. I watched the last 10 min at my Dad’s after getting in from hunting. Cousins routinely took about a 10-12 yard drop back, and usually stood still. They were junk. The right team won. Cousins is a really “nice” guy, but he’s not the man. Never has been, never will be.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Zimmer out McCarthy in.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Zimmer out McCarthy in.

Just wait until the Pack finds a head coach. I don’t want any temptation of the Pack taking in Zimmer flame

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Yesterdays blame falls completely on the Head Coach and the rest of the coaching staff.

Plenty to question Zimmer about too. He’s had plenty of fails where the team looks totally flat in primetime and playoff games. As someone said earlier, we wouldn’t have even made it to Philly last year if it wasn’t for a miracle. We were one hair away from choking that Saints game… just like all the rest of them.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Not many teams are successful when their offensive line is so shoddy that they’re unable to allow the QB time to plant his feet to throw. That’s the root of this problem in 2018. Even Tom Brady wouldn’t be leading this team deep into the playoffs.

tim hurley

2true BT-we have the best pair of wide receivers in the NFL, a disciplined QB who can throw the deep ball acurately but he has no time and he has gotten skittish because he has been pummelled so much. With this line Case would have had a better year.

queenswake
    NULL

I just wish NFL teams would have the patience of MLB teams. Be OK with having a rebuilding year or two. The Vikes could’ve taken Case or Bridgewater or Bradford and just gave it a shot this year without the overt goal of heading to the SB.

Everytime a NFL team tries to buy their way to a championship, it fails. I’m thinking RGIII and McNabb at the Redskins.

It’s like dating. If you try too hard, you end up failing. Sometimes you just need to let things happen organically and be OK with taking time to sort it all out. We could’ve groomed Case, Bradford as well as see what Bridgewater had in him after his recovery. But nope.

basseyes

O line is bad, coaches and gm knew it, yet really did nothing to solve it, except sign a pocket QB. That’s as ignorant as ignorant gets. The fact they seem surprised about it is telling for the gm and coaches football iq. The players attitudes reflect the ignorance of the coaching staff and the frustration the players feel is justified. Probably one of the better groups of guys this team has seen in a while, yet it’s under coached and under prepared. The execution is awful, they are flat and lifeless. If Zimmer still has a job next year with the vikings he should feel fortunate, cause he is digressing.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.