The perks of the rich and famous

• MX1825

The charges were dropped against Alec Baldwin today. I call what BS!
    flame

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I hung up my Judge & Jury smock and will let those better qualified work it out.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

With his political connections you should have known it was just a matter of time… moon

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I suppose this means guns really do shoot people.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Looks like he’s taking another shot at resuming Rust

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Must of used his White Privilege card.

Deuces

Am I missing something on why it’s BS he was given a cold gun, which an actor of his age has probably been given ten thousand times in his life, tragically it wasn’t and someone lost a life? The armorer charges have not been dropped, where all the blame should be placed I would think….

I’m all for ragging on the privelages of the rich but cmon, let’s tie our cart to a different horse. Why I even Googled this this AM still baffles me.

Jason

If his name was Don he would have been locked up for life.

Reef W

Am I missing something

You’re missing that they don’t like Alec Baldwin. Charging him in the first place was a clownshoe stunt. The only argument for him being responsible is he’s a producer but he’s not the only producer and the others weren’t charged, haven’t heard any complaints about that for some reason though.

Jimmy Jones

Sorry Deuces, but the person holding the gun is RESPONSIBLE for making certain that the gun is safe and that includes what is loaded in the gun. The absolute first thing I do when I pick up any gun or am handed any gun, is to check to be certain that the magazine is empty along with the chamber. Since he was the last in the chain of handling that gun, it falls on his ass. Period. I know of two people that have died because they failed to check guns that were “empty”.

The armorer should have a hand in the responsibility too. If whoever that was cannot determine the difference between a blank cartridge and a live round, he/she should not be handling any gun. Period. This does NOT relieve Baldwin in any way.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Am I missing something on why it’s BS he was given a cold gun, which an actor of his age has probably been given ten thousand times in his life, tragically it wasn’t and someone lost a life? The armorer charges have not been dropped, where all the blame should be placed I would think….

I’m all for ragging on the privelages of the rich but cmon, let’s tie our cart to a different horse. Why I even Googled this this AM still baffles me.

Yeah I’m kind of on the fence about most of this.

I don’t think the general public has nearly enough facts to speak in absolutes about the situation or what should/should not happen to Baldwin and others. I know that money doesn’t make anything right…but that family should have plenty of avenues to pursue compensation in civil court for the loss of a loved one.

Some people despise Baldwin because he’s a wealthy outspoken liberal and many still have images of him bashing Trump repeatedly on SNL so deeply rooted in their heads that it eats at them. I don’t necessarily support Baldwin’s politics, but am not ready to make conclusions on his guilt because of my different views. I did get a good chuckle out of some of his Trump skits too.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

The only argument for him being responsible is he’s a producer but he’s not the only producer and the others weren’t charged, haven’t heard any complaints about that for some reason though.

You do realize he shot and killed the woman, correct? The other producers didn’t shoot and kill someone.

MX1825

I see it as no different than someone handing a gun to someone to look at and saying it is not loaded. The person points it at someone and pulls the trigger and kills the person. Who is at fault the shooter or the person that said it wasn’t loaded? In my mine both are at fault. Baldwin claims he never pulled the trigger and FBI claims the gun did not fire itself. Every day Joe Blow does not get the charges dropped.

Also Baldwin is 1 of the on-site producers with many staff walking off the production site because of safety concerns (saving production costs).
    He is a talented actor but arrogant pr— jersey. JMO

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

It was an accident, sure…
    Kim Potter shooting Daunte Wright was also an accident, and she got prison time and will never be a cop again. Alec Baldwin can continue on with no legal (and likely few professional) ramifications.

Deuces

Jimmy I wish you would take context into this, this was Hollywood. Think of the thousands of dummy rounds every single day that gets fired off. A set of john wick would sit for 10 years while Keanu plucks out each bullet to make sure its not real. Impossible, and quite frankly I don’t want actors clearing weapons, that’s not their job, its the job of the professional armorist on site making those calls.

Just my 2 cents. I rdc either way, just goofy to me the extra butthurt some seem to have. Cheers to friday toast

Reef W

You do realize he shot and killed the woman, correct? The other producers didn’t shoot and kill someone.

Yes, because the person who’s job it was to ensure that didn’t happen failed. Movies don’t follow the usual rules of gun safety. They point guns at people, they put their finger on the trigger, they pull the trigger. You expect actors to have the expertise to be able to discern the differences between a real round, a blank, a round with a real bullet but no powder, etc? That’s why there is an armorer.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Don’t rag on Baldwin. He did what everyone here in his place would have done. He hired a lawyer. Want to aim your anger (although you really don’t care) at someone try the attorney general that decided there wasn’t enough evidence to prosecute.

Reef W

A set of john wick would sit for 10 years while Keanu plucks out each bullet to make sure its not real.

I get your point but, just as an interesting thing, John Wick is all fake guns with CGI muzzle blasts. After the Rust thing the director of John Wick talked about it and says that he thinks real guns are unnecessary but other productions are resistant to changing because of the cost.

Michael Best

How about as a society we push taking responsibility for our own actions instead of casting blame on others.

Did Baldwin intend to kill the woman? No
    Baldwin pulling the trigger without knowing a live round was in the gun is negligence. Which does fall under manslaughter.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Baldwin knew he was guilty of murder… it wasn’t done while shooting a scene, it was him pointing a gun in an unsafe way and “pulling the trigger”…that’s why he initially went with the defense “I didn’t pull the trigger”

CaptainMusky

How about as a society we push taking responsibility for our own actions instead of casting blame on others.

Did Baldwin intend to kill the woman? No
    Baldwin pulling the trigger without knowing a live round was in the gun is negligence. Which does fall under manslaughter.

I agree with this. Of course he didnt intend on doing it, but the result of his actions killed someone. The person he killed wasnt even involved in a scene right? She was like a producer or something so there was ZERO reason for him to be pointing a gun at her whatsoever.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I see this as a very very bad accident. Actors point and shoot at each other on camera and have since motion pictures were invented. He did it off camera and there was a live round in the gun. How that live round got there is the real question. Not whether or not he shot someone. Maybe it was his fault the round was there? We will never know that.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Baldwin knew he was guilty of murder… it wasn’t done while shooting a scene, it was him pointing a gun in an unsafe way and “pulling the trigger”…that’s why he initially went with the defense “I didn’t pull the trigger”

It was just reported that the reason they dropped it was they found the gun had been altered and that it was possible that he didn’t pull the trigger.

I wasn’t there so I’ll need to trust others to decide if it was a winnable case.

Reef W

The person he killed wasnt even involved in a scene right? She was like a producer or something so there was ZERO reason for him to be pointing a gun at her whatsoever.

From description on wikipedia:

B-camera operator Reid Russell was situated on a camera dolly, looking at a monitor with Hutchins and Souza both nearby. The scene involved Baldwin’s character removing a gun from its holster and pointing it toward the camera. The projectile flew towards the three behind the monitor, striking Hutchins in the chest and Souza in the shoulder.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Deuces wrote:</div>

Yeah I’m kind of on the fence about most of this.

I don’t think the general public has nearly enough facts to speak in absolutes about the situation or what should/should not happen to Baldwin and others. I know that money doesn’t make anything right…but that family should have plenty of avenues to pursue compensation in civil court for the loss of a loved one.

Some people despise Baldwin because he’s a wealthy outspoken liberal and many still have images of him bashing Trump repeatedly on SNL so deeply rooted in their heads that it eats at them. I don’t necessarily support Baldwin’s politics, but am not ready to make conclusions on his guilt because of my different views. I did get a good chuckle out of some of his Trump skits too.

Evidently I’m in the minority amongst IDOers. It looks like a lot of you in-fact were there, on set with all the first hand accounts of what took place coffee

Dan
    Southeast MN

Baldwin knew he was guilty of murder

With premeditation and intent? This is the absolute first time I’ve seen anyone make that claim.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think he deserves some charge like negligence with a firearm or something, but this is about 10,679 down the list of things I’m concerned with and has no bearing on me or my life.

CaptainMusky

With premeditation and intent? This is the absolute first time I’ve seen anyone make that claim.

Not a chance in that.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.