The Big Fish

• Sharon
    SE Metro

Many of you are familiar with “The Big Fish”, right? The one in Garrison on Mille Lacs Lake. Well, this photo is of Billy and me back in 2002 at the big fish. I’ve always loved this photo because it’s also a throwback to the old fish. Some years ago they moved and rebuilt the fish, but this here is how I’ll always remember it from so many years of stopping by as kid on our family vacations. ❤🐟

I would love to see other photos of you and family at the big fish! Was there a version of the fish before this one? Does anyone know when the original one was built and why?

Attachments:
    1. The-Big-Fish.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Excellent picture Sharon.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Fun idea Sharon

This is me and my son this past winter. I’m sure I have a bunch of older pics too, it’s been a tradition since I was a kid and now with my kids.

Attachments:
    1. 51056D5B-85EC-40AB-AD09-2F396AC8E563.jpeg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Great pic Sharon!

The Garrison Fish is my Profile pic. This was from a few years ago when someone put a net over it as a protest to tribal netting. Made the front page of the Messenger. waytogo

-J.

p.s. I did not take this picture.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

The original one (which this one still is) was made around 1980 for annual parades. Not sure when they placed it on the concourse for permanent display?

I think it was around 2013 when they removed it for refurbishing and repainting but when they returned it to the concourse, they put it in a different spot. I liked the original spot in your pic Sharon as it made for a better panoramic of the lake in the background.

Perhaps it’s most colored/controversial history was when someone with perhaps the intent of sending a message, draped a volleyball net over it under the cover of darkness. (See Jon Jordan’s profile pic)

It was funny the outcry by some locals as a desecration of sorts. However, like a silent protest…there was no damage to the statue and the net was easily removed.

Here is maybe not the best pic of my two grandsons from a couple years ago and one I took in 2013 when it was temporarily moved across the highway for renovations.

Attachments:
    1. DSCN0296.jpg

2. GCW.jpg

munchy
    NULL

I liked the original spot in your pic Sharon as it made for a better panoramic of the lake in the background.

I agree. Why couldn’t they put it in the area next the the American flag? Perfect spot.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They should take down that walleye and put up a smallmouth bass!

munchy
    NULL

Or build a musky and put the walleye in its mouth! jester

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Since we going down that road, make sure the 28″ walleye in the muskie’s mouth clocks in at 5 pounds

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Play nice guys!
    Nice pic Sharon. I have a pic at home I believe. I’ll have to search.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Or build a musky and put the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye in its mouth! jester

Haha good one

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.