String trimmer

• Iowaboy1

several years ago I bought a Maruyama weed eater,23 CC and I have yet to use full throttle.
    starts on or before the third pull every time,what makes this one special is the torque rise,much faster than anything in its class.
    it cuts cleaner and faster than any brand I have ever used and I have used a lot of them.
    light weight,easy on the back and non of that dreadful hand numbing vibration.

one thing to remember,the size of line you use can turn a good weed eater into a great weed eater regardless of brand.
    smaller line cuts faster and takes less HP/amps hr to cut.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I have the Stihl combi unit. I have a line trimmer, blade trimmer, edger, blower, tree limb chainsaw w/extension, and the rubber gravel broom. Saw and broom are the only 2 you even think of running at WOT. I use non oxy fuel and starts all the time 3 pulls or less. Only 1 engine to worry about so using it for all attachments it doesn’t sit around not being used for very long.

kidfish

I have the Husqvarna gas trimmer with interchangeable shaft and it’s great. It goes through long slough type grass when it needs to as well as easy jobs around the yard.
    I didn’t buy the Husky attachments for it, but instead the Trimmer Plus brand. Pole saw works great. Also have the brush cutter which is great for clearing out shooting lanes. I’d definitely recommend that tool if you have a wooded lot.

rjohnson8404

I am in the Milwaukee camp also. To be honest I purely bought it for the 9.0 ah battery which retails for like 50-75 less then the entire set up and bonus in a few months I will be juiced with my pistol bit cutting holes.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Well, it sounds like maybe I need two units. Gasser for the heavy days and a cordless for the light days. Most times I only trim around landscaping and the driveway, and I’m done in under 45 minutes. But 6-8 times a year I hit the pasture and cut back the brush from from the yard. That’s a 3-4 he job and I doubt that any cordless trimmer has that type of chooch.

Thanks guys.

I’d say NO to owning two different ones.
    I run my Echo straight shaft 2 stroke for all. peace It weed whacks (and edges), cultivates the garden and the saw blade will cut limbs up to 1 1/2″ in a 1/2 second,Seriously! Rev it up and make contact, and smash “BING!” Gone. No kidding! Use it to cut under brush too.

Ya don’t need to buy it all at one time but I’m never wanting for anything else since I’ve owned it for 30 ish years, except maybe the extended pole tree trimmer! shock They became available years later as an attachment that will not work with mine. bawling Oh, well.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’d say NO to owning two different ones

Totally agree. Pick one power type and stick with it.

It’s lack of use that really messes up good gas powered equipment. If you buy gas powered equipment and use it once a week you’ll seldom have problems.

For normal homeowner use, electric cordless is very convenient, no doubt. But I think when you start doing heavy cutting like fence lines and brush gas is going to be the way to go.

I have a Husky straight shaft and it starts in two pulls every time. I’ve never done anything to it. I run non oxy gas and good oil and that’s all it takes.

A word of caution if you’re using a brush cutter blade. These things can sling small pieces of wood at very high speeds. I have bounced about a 3 inch piece of sapling off another tree and it came back and hit me in the face HARD. Get a mesh face shield and use it.

Grouse

jwellsy

With my M18 chainsaw I find that after 1 battery I’m ready for a break anyway plus I’ve learned that I get more acccomplished if I also use the battery change as a signal to refill oil and sharpen/change the chain.

With my M18 blower, one 12AH battery is plenty of capacity for most snow falls to clear my porch, sidewalk and driveway.

With my M18 weedeater, after one battery I’m usually ready to take a break or do something else for a while.

I don’t have a need for redundant gas units any more. If I had a big weedline issue to deal with, I’d go for a small towable or walk behind bushhog.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Last fall I replaced my 30 + year old Echo with a Stihl with the bike handle version (Model 111 if my brain is working). Cost was about $400. It has interchangeable head for a grass/brush blades or string. Starts very easy, works great. No regrets.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Another Ego fan here. I have the trimmer and blower. Both came with batteries so I always have a spare.

norge

Tell me about the metal blades you got. Where at? Do you have a link on where to purchase them?

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.