Spirit Report

• shaley
    Milford IA

My 2nd full weekend finaly fishing my favorite walleye waters. Last sat ( 5/26 ) breezy , ok down right windy but 2 of us managed 5 fish between 14 1/2 and 16″ with a few shorts thrown back for seed. Sunday 5/27 was much better numbers are down but qualitys up 9 fish boated 6 being above 14 1/2 yet under the 17″ slot. Also a bonus 10″ perch
    Monday 5/28 the wife and I slept in didn’t get out till 11:30 ish fished the calm end of the lake due to strong winds again managed our 6 keepers finaly by 7:30 pm along with several shorts being returned.

June 1 2 WI friends came over to try their luck ( their bass guys but I’m trying to convert them to real fish) They got here around noon but took us till 4ish to get on the water while dodging raindrops and switching winds we managed 8 keepers and a few shorts with a bonus perch, smallie and snot rocket. One eye I got had been hit recently by I’m guessing a muskie was opened up good across its back and had several teeth marks in it, eye was in the 16″ range.
    Today was fun got on the water around 8 am had our 9 fish limit by 3 gave in to my 2 friends bass addiction and headed to a few well know smallie spots, while no smallies were caught we got 2 more nice eyes we released, several northerns and had a small muskie hooked 2 times for a short period.

All the eyes came in deep water (20’+) pulling bouncers and spinners tipped with leeches or minnows 1 to 1.5 mph.

Heading back in the morning to try again maybe try and get the numbers up a little and hope to find a few slot fish.

While not the numbers I’m used to I’m happy to give up numbers for the quality we are cathing, most the shorts are in the 13-14″ range only a couple smaller. So far running about 4 keepers for every short.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the report. Sounds like alot of fun and its always fun fishing with old buddies like you got to do. Got them converted yet?
    Thanks, Bill

Chunk
    New Hampton, Iowa

Thanks for the report Shaley! Hoping to get over there soon and try my luck

shaley
    Milford IA

Well today we didn’t fare as well got only 2 keepers both right at 15″ before Mother Nature reminded us shes still in charge. Hit a small lake on the way hope hoping we had gotten past the storms but only was out for about 30 minutes before she unloaded again. Managed a solid 19″ fish though in that short time so worth the time.

Ended a 2 1/2 day weekend between the 3 of us with 20 keepers and about 15 released with a few bonus fish mixed in.Enough for a good fish fry and to send a meal or 2 each back home to WI with my 2 buddies, Will be back out again next weekend chasing the elusive Spirit Lake walleye.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

SOUNDS LIKE ABOUT WHAT WE’RE CATCHING. WE HIT A SPOT ON ANGLERS SAT AND HIT A LIMIT OF GOOD FISH AND THREW 2 BACK OVER 17″. SEEMS TO ME THE FISH ARE IN LARGE SCHOOLS IN 1% OF THE WATER. WHEN YA HIT A BUNCH YA REALLY SMACK-EM. CAUGHT AND RELEASED 15 LARGEMOUTH AND SMALLIES A WEEK AGO. I STAYED OUT OF THE WAY OF THE TOURNMENT BASS FISHERMEN THIS LAST WEEKEND. THERE WAS A DISABLED AMERICAN VETERAN TOURNEY SAT. AND SUNDAY. I WENT TO THE WEIGH-IN THE BITE WAS TOUGH BUT THE GRINS ON THE FACES OF THE DISABLED VETS MADE ME PROUD TO BE A BASS FISHERMAN. HATS OFF TO THE DEDICATED GUYS THAT TOOK THE TIME TO TAKE THE VETS OUT!HOO-RAA!

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

Thanks for the report Shawn. I’m looking forward to coming up again

shaley
    Milford IA

Always a seat open foryou Mike.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.