Tying on a flouro leader

• Rusty21

When tying a flouro leader to braid with a uni to uni knot, does anybody have issues with the knot getting beat up when casting all day?

It makes sense that tying on the leader instead of using a swivel is more stealthy and better for the action (since the swivel will sink and may cause a less than optimal action). But it seams to me that the knot will get beat up when casting. With the swivel you are prevented from reeling up too far that pulls the leader into the guides of the rod.

I haven’t utilized such a leader other than ice fishing and a I am a bit skeptical that the knot would maintain integrity when casting all day..

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Been doing that in saltwater for years. Works fine on even tarpon.

Rusty21

I guess it should be strong enough for bass and walleye if it works for tarpon.. haha

stuart
    Mn.

You can always,when in doubt,snip and retie a new knot.
    I don’t cast all day with out checking line and knot integrity on a regular basis.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I retie once or twice in a day with back-to-back Uni Knots when I’m doing a lot of casting but it really only takes a minute.

FryDog62

I re-tie the uni-uni after each full day of fishing and have never had a problem.

FryDog62

Worth noting that the “J” knot was the winner on this years “Knot Wars” over the Uni-Uni and Modified Albright. The J knot also looks a lot simpler to tie…I plan to give it a try this year..

zeke6710
    NULL

I have had some success with my own modification of a surgeon’s knot but I have found that braid can cut through flouro and so i am going to use a tiny swivel this year.

BBKK
    IA

Something I have found to be better than a swivel is a tiny welded jewelers ring. You can get 100 of them for like a buck fifty on ebay. They are so small that you can reel them right through your guides without even noticing. They are welded closed so there is nothing to cut the line. They are plenty strong for freshwater applications.

FryDog62

Kevin, I’d like to try the jewelers ring. If you come across any on line, feel free to send the link. I’d like to get the right size/type but worth a try. Thx, -Fry

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.