Sandy Bottom Lakes

• Rusty21

In early June I am heading to a northern mn lake that has a primarily sandy bottom lake. My summer trips are usually to Lake of the Woods so I am used to fishing a rocky substrate.

I am curious if you guys could provide some insight on a game plan for fishing a sandy substrate as compared to a rocky substrate? The lake I am heading to is known to be a very good bass lake with both large and small mouths.

So what are a few tactics that work especially well in a lake with a sandy substrate?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’m always looking for edges. Weedlines (inner and outer), sand/mud transition lines, two different kinds of weeds meeting up, rapid depth changes, etc. Edges are where they like to hunt.

BBKK
    IA

Early June would be post spawn, so the fish would likely be on the shelves and along the weedlines (if any weeds have grown by then). Sand means football jigs, crankbaits, and c-rigs. Those are what I would start with, then adjust from there.

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

I’m always looking for edges. Weedlines (inner and outer), sand/mud transition lines, two different kinds of weeds meeting up, rapid depth changes, etc. Edges are where they like to hunt.

x2 with “Fish the dark spots” added.

Rusty21

I know this is a bass forum, but would similar locations apply for pike and/or walleye?

BBKK
    IA

If they are after the same forage, then yes.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Quote:

In early June I am heading to a northern mn lake that has a primarily sandy bottom lake. My summer trips are usually to Lake of the Woods so I am used to fishing a rocky substrate.

I am curious if you guys could provide some insight on a game plan for fishing a sandy substrate as compared to a rocky substrate? The lake I am heading to is known to be a very good bass lake with both large and small mouths.

So what are a few tactics that work especially well in a lake with a sandy substrate?

Why not just name the lake?

Rusty21

eh, sometimes people get weird about giving info on specific lakes and I was generally curious anyways. But yeah I am heading to Minnewaska. The DNR report said it has a primarily sandy bottom.

FryDog62

I’ll echo the crank bait, football jig vote above. I like to use the cranks to hopefully cover a lot of water and find them. Then if I have to slow down, the football jig is slower method but have found works great when you’re on them. If you want pike too then I sometimes use a 1/4 oz or heavier swim jig to get down to the bottom and drag, bounce or swim up in the water column. Should attract both the bass and the northerns.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.