Snowmageddon

• CaptainMusky

My forecast said 2-4. They were way off one again. I wish I could be wrong at my job 80% of the time and still keep it./s

They’re calling it a category 5 storm. Winter storm Olive. Sounds terrifying.

Where did you see 2 to 4? That is what was forecast for the St Cloud area, but just South everything I saw said 4 to 7.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The only other job that I can think of where they get paid so handsomely to lie on a daily basis is being a politician.

What about a major league hitter?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What about a major league hitter?

You got me on that one. ???

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Where did you see 2 to 4? That is what was forecast for the St Cloud area, but just South everything I saw said 4 to 7.

On my phone. My Radar Pro app. My area is under a different warning than St. Cloud. Note the sarcasm, btw. Forecasts don’t get me worked up like most around here.

Currently the winter storm waring for the immediate metro are includes Anoka and Sherburne county all the way out to Eau Claire and down to Red Wing. Its estimating total snow accumulations of 13-17″. Looks like the heavy snow and blowing snow is supposed to begin around 6 PM and last through midday tomorrow.

CaptainMusky

Yeah its just starting to make its way into Western MN. I was seeing that it could linger into Friday as well. Its really slow moving.

Coletrain27

Snow blowing in the wind sure is fun jester

Picture won’t load for some reason

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Our school shut down for 5″ of snow….

They closed around here and if we got even 3″ I’d be real surprised. They are still saying another 7-12 here in the Saint Cloud area. Looking at the radar maps I just don’t see it being on the high end. It doesn’t even start till around 4:00 and by around 2:00 tomorrow it looks to be over.

Dan
    Southeast MN

On my phone. My Radar Pro app. My area is under a different warning than St. Cloud. Note the sarcasm, btw. Forecasts don’t get me worked up like most around here.

FWIW I laughed.

Weather people use the best information they have available. I think it’s amazing how they can pretty much do a “spot on the spot” nowadays and even show a blurb within a county that might get hit worse. And each one of us has our own experience to deal with that can change our perception of the weather. Two people arriving to work 5 minutes apart will have drastically different experiences if one of them was just a minute or two behind the plow truck. In my case, driving on mostly gravel, I’m never bothered too much by sleet or freezing rain whereas paved roads are a nightmare with them.

My takeaway: It’s almost like predicting the future is difficult.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My takeaway: It’s almost like predicting the future is difficult.

Obviously predicting weather or storm snow totals or rain fall is a bit of a guess. I think we all understand that. What irks me is that they portray it to be absolute truth and doom. If they would just broadcast it realistically and admit that there is some variability to it, their message would be accepted a lot better.

grpubl7
    Central WI

3″ so far in Central WI. 8-11 inches are forecast for the 2nd part of this storm, starting late in the afternoon.

CaptainMusky

What I think is so dumb that they feel the need to name a winter storm. Why is that necessary?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

meh, let it come……when its over put the big boy pants on and just deal with it.

hossfisher

The only other job that I can think of where they get paid so handsomely to lie on a daily basis is being a politician.
    [/quote]

South Dakota is hiring for an on-air meteorologist if you’re looking to be paid handsomely.

Attachments:
    1. 46278B18-CABB-475E-AB15-298A6760BED6.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

How can you say they lie. Lol. They are reading weather in to the future off radar maps that are heading in our direction. It’s called a guesstimate not a 100 percent fact.as much as you complain about the weather guys, maybe quit listening

B-man

Had a “wrench” thrown into my snowblowing plans this morning…. shock

Love when the kids leave crap laying around

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20230222_154647862-scaled.jpg

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

South Dakota is hiring for an on-air meteorologist if you’re looking to be paid handsomely.

[/quote]Paid handsomely?

$25,000 a year??

troutbum
    St. Paul

The wind has already really picked up in the metro. Its gonna be an absolute mess in rural areas.

CaptainMusky

They are also predicting based on multiple computer based models. Usually those models are never in complete agreement on path or amounts either so they have to take a guess. Some models have historically been more accurate than others too. For this storm specifically they claim the models were in pretty good agreement the whole time.

JEREMY
    BP

I got mad at the kids last year for that. Got in the garage and thawed out and found it was one of my metal cooling racks for the smoker. Im pretty sure I didnt tell them the truth.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

LOL good one

glenn57
    cold spring mn

That’s good for south Dakota wages!! woot I believe they don’t pay state income tax?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What I think is so dumb that they feel the need to name a winter storm. Why is that necessary?

Agreed, and if they have to name them, this should be the Chipmunks. Alvin, Simon and Theodore since it’s really 3 different (or more) snow events, and only one is going to do most of the work. rotflol

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

If you haven’t read the book “All Hell Broke Loose”, I highly recommend it. Story of the 1940 Armistice Day blizzard.

Pete

Attachments:
    1. All-Hell-Broke-Loose-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I am pretty sure they are naming heat waves in the summer now too.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you haven’t read the book “All Hell Broke Loose”, I highly recommend it. Story of the 1940 Armistice Day blizzard.

Pete

x2 that is a really good book. Also, if you haven’t heard Bud Grant’s story from getting caught in that storm, he retold in on KFAN with Barreiro recently and I’m sure you could podcast it. Pretty crazy story, and his parents thought he was dead for like 3 days after it was done.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

The mass hysteria anytime precipitation is estimated to fall from the sky is getting so tiresome. 2018, mid April- we got 24″ in Hastings in a single day. There was no hysteria, no mass psychosis, no shutting down of anything. 2k20 Wu flu really did a number on America’s ability to think rationally.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Had a “wrench” thrown into my snowblowing plans this morning…. shock

Sure, blame it on the kids…
    When deep down you know it was the wife!

Dan
    Southeast MN

trophy19 wrote:

Pete

x2 that is a really good book. Also, if you haven’t heard Bud Grant’s story from getting caught in that storm, he retold in on KFAN with Barreiro recently and I’m sure you could podcast it. Pretty crazy story, and his parents thought he was dead for like 3 days after it was done.

I’ve always thought, if done right, that whole story could make one heck of a movie.

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 337 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.