smoked cream cheese

• Richard Jorgensen

Give a liberal coating of your go to rub then 250 for 45 min. in the smoker. Great on crackers. ABT’S in about 2 hours and some bacon wraped smokies for the wife. Its football season.

Attachments:
    1. cc.png

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What kind of wood did you use?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have to try that.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Dose the cream cheese start to melt or get runny?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I smoked cream cheese over the weekend using this thread as inspiration though I did it a bit differently. The wife loves it. I put a block of Philadelphia Cream Cheese on tinfoil and left it exposed. I kept the smoker at the lowest temp i could – 100 and smoked for about an hour. My smoker struggles to get smoke at that temp so it was light on the smoke flavor but still very good. I plan on buying a cold smoke attachment to help with this. I also smoked string cheese which turned out great.

Do you really smoke the cream cheese at 250 degrees? How do you keep it from melting? I would think it would be nothing but a pile of mush at that temperature.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Do you really smoke the cream cheese at 250 degrees? How do you keep it from melting? I would think it would be nothing but a pile of mush at that temperature.

It does NOT…believe it or not! Think jalapeno poppers. I would make a version wrapped in bacon on the grill, cream cheese in the middle of the jalapeno and the cream cheese holds up fine. yay

Richard Jorgensen

no not at 250 for 45 min I make a bowl out of foil to set cheese in

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tuma wrote:</div>

no not at 250 for 45 min I make a bowl out of foil to set cheese in

interesting. next time ill try it at a higher temp. im just starting to experiment with smoking non meat items. its really fun

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

There are easy ways to fool your smoker for cold smoking. Put a rack covered in foil and bottles or pans of ice directly under your cheese and you can smoke at a higher temperature without melting the cheese. If you have a Maverick thermometer, monitor the rack the cheese is on and try to get it under 80 degrees.

I also us an A-maz-n smoke device in my smoker which requires no heat from the smoker at all.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

There are easy ways to fool your smoker for cold smoking. Put a rack covered in foil and bottles or pans of ice directly under your cheese and you can smoke at a higher temperature without melting the cheese. If you have a Maverick thermometer, monitor the rack the cheese is on and try to get it under 80 degrees.

Warning, doing this with an electric smoker could burn out the heating element. I have a cold plate for my smoker and it talks about this.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>SuperDave1959 wrote:</div>

Warning, doing this with an electric smoker could burn out the heating element. I have a cold plate for my smoker and it talks about this.

Don’t see how. I have an electric and have had no issues at all.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I would guess if you were trying to smoke with the cold plate in. The smoker would never reach the temp it is set at and the heating element would keep trying to heat up to reach the set temp. I will have to read over the instructions again to see why that warning was there.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Most electric smokers run the element at full on to reach the set temp. I’m sure some of you Midwest guys smoke in the Winter and with sub-freezing ambient temps, I know that element runs full on for the entire length of the smoke for meats that are much longer smokes than cheese or fish. My guess is that the instructions were written by a lawyer. lol.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I have a cold plate for my smoker and it talks about this.

Interesting,,,,
    My “Cold Plate” does not speak to me at all!

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

My guess is that the instructions were written by a lawyer. lol.

Agreed

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Tuma, what brand of smoker do you have?

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

smokin tex 1400 PRO

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

smokin tex 1400 PRO

My big smoker is a Smokin-It model 4, so we have almost identical units.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I love it, no water pan to take care of and refill. I am enjoying some left over pork roast I did Sunday for lunch right now.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.