Short bed truck

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

They suck. I’ll never own another one.

Coletrain27

They suck. I’ll never own another one.

Well there is like 5 different “short beds” now days. What size do you have? Mine is 6’8”. No way I could ever function with a 5.5’ like a lot of the grocery getters have now days

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

and an 8′ is not needed

B-man

Says who EPG?? I like hauling an ATV or an Otter Resort, or plywood or 2x4x8’s, or, or, or with the tailgate closed

“I got an eight foot bed that never has to be made”

Rest in peace Joe Diffy wink

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240112-192436.png

Baitwaster
    South metro

Diffy…

Joe Diffy.

I’m not sure anyone who owned a truck through the 90’s didn’t know ever word to that song!

Baitwaster
    South metro

B-man caught it while I was typing!

Probably why the “quote” didn’t work!

(Had Duffy – not Diffy)

B-man

Yeah my phone made an autocorrect to something correct making it incorrect and I had to go back and correct it….that never happens lol

That song was on the radio when I was driving the kids to school this morning, of course I had to sing it to them )

You could light it on fire, and roll it down a hill…and I still wouldn’t trade it for a short bed

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I wont go smaller than a 6’6″ bed on a truck, l like to haul the ATV or the Otter cabin with the tailgste up, plus whatever else I want. 8ft with a crew cab might be a little to long, but I cant say I have driven 1 of those yet

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Been in the construction industry since 1987 and really never needed an 8′ bed.

Just saying.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Been in the construction industry since 1987 and really never needed an 8′ bed.

Just saying.

you must stack the corona and whiskey pretty high then!!!!!! waytogo devil rotflol peace

Coletrain27

Now we know why he’s always pulling a trailer Glenn whistling

Atavar

I know it’s heresy but I can load full sheets of plywood or 10’ lumber in my Honda minivan, shut the door and keep it dry in the rain.
    I have hauled pallets worth of cinder blocks and concrete without a problem.
    Sorry guys, but if you can’t load a sofa or a chest freezer and shut the tailgate it’s not a pickup truck, it’s just a Ute.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t see many trucks with longer boxes on the road or in dealer lots anymore. Seems like 90% of what’s out there is a crew cab and shorter box.

I don’t even think a full size truck with a long box would fit in my garage.

Mike J
    Wright County

Regular cab with an 8ft bed for me. All I’ve ever owned and will in the future as long as they’re available.

Stanley

All my trucks have had a 6’6” box. I wouldn’t want smaller. My current truck isn’t a daily driver and usually only gets driven to tow or haul stuff. My wife’s first truck when she was 17 was a regular cab 8’ box now she has a crew cab 6’6” 1/2 ton. We looked at other trucks with the smaller box before buying hers but felt it just wouldn’t work for our situation. I like to be able to close the tailgate when hauling fishing or hunting gear. We are also a family of 5.

deertracker

I drive a 2002 Silverado with 230k on it. But,it has a 6.5 bed. I have a topper and can fit my Otter with the tailgate closed. It stays in there all winter.
    DT

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

The 5ft bed on my ridgeline has been fine toast

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I have 3 boys. If they can drive a ridgeline I know they will have the self confidence to succeed in life grin jester woot

queenswake
    NULL

I don’t think a lot of truck buyers are even aware that crew cab trucks come in the 6.5 length. It’s not even a search criteria on most car sale websites.

Yes, the 6.5 is the sweet spot for a crew cab. 8 means the wheelbase is way too long for a daily driver.

When I had an extended cab and 8 ft bed, most of the time I never used the extra two feet and found it annoying to have to climb into the bed in order to add or get stuff out of the bed by the cab. No easy way to access that space

queenswake
    NULL

I know it’s heresy but I can load full sheets of plywood or 10’ lumber in my Honda minivan, shut the door and keep it dry in the rain.
    I have hauled pallets worth of cinder blocks and concrete without a problem.
    Sorry guys, but if you can’t load a sofa or a chest freezer and shut the tailgate it’s not a pickup truck, it’s just a Ute.

Yep, pretty sad when minivans can haul more that a truck. Minivans outdo trucks and suvs in that regard.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

and an 8′ is not needed

8ft is the way to go. I couldn’t disagree with you more. As for never filling your truck bed since the 80s is nuts. I use all of it all the time. But that’s why they build different trucks for different needs.

MX1825

I don’t see many trucks with longer boxes on the road or in dealer lots anymore. Seems like 90% of what’s out there is a crew cab and shorter box.

I think it is more like 99% of CC trucks have a 5.5 foot box in my opinion. Talking what I see in the Ford and GM lots.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My current daily driver has the 5’6” box and I’ll never ever do it again. I haul a lot of 10-12’ lumber for side stuff and it gets old. I’ve got a couple designated “box boards” that wedge in and can be screwed down into long lumber to hold it secure, but it’s annoying.

I’d love to be able to run a wheeler into my box with the tailgate closed too.

candiru

Pre-covid I browsed trucks online. Eide Ford in Bismarck was the only one I remember that filtered by wheelbase. They have 5 F150 crew cabs in stock now with the 6.5′ bed.

I got a 21 Tundra (last of the V8s) double cab with a 6.5′ bed. You can put an adult in the back seat, but it is less than optimal for a long trip. The dog is the only one who rides in the back seat 99.999% of the time. Prior to that I had a Tacoma and a 6ft bed. I managed but not ideal.

I agree that a 5.5′ bed doesn’t cut it particularly with ice fishing sleds/houses and summer long rods.

John Timm

Well from what I’ve witnessed most people driving double cab pickups with one person and an empty box up and down the highway for a commuter most of the time anyhow. Not to many people nowadays use their trucks for truck things

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Regular cab with an 8ft bed for me. All I’ve ever owned and will in the future as long as they’re available.

X2. That and a topper.

-J.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This was the only way I went until I had kids. Now crew cab 8 ft box. Topper will come soon. Tonneau cover in the summer.

djshannon
    Crosslake

I wouldn’t buy anything else. My last truck Std Cab – 8′ box with topper small block V8 4×4 manual trany lasted 23 years and was still going when I sold it for $3000. Took me 9 months and a special order to get a close match replacement.
    More bells and wistles than the old one, but it was the only way to get it….

Cost more than twice what my 2000 – 1500 Chevy 4×4

Attachments:
    1. Truck.jpg

Icefisherguy

6.5’ bed here. Otter lodge goes under the tonneau with the tailgate closed. Life is good.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.