Short bed truck

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

2015 Silverado double cab with 6.5′ box. Need the box length for “stuff”. Just hit 96,000. No major issues. I will most likely always have a double cab (not crew cab, kids are gone) so my dog has a nice place to ride. He earns his keep and would never put him in the topper covered box in a kennel.

found it annoying to have to climb into the bed in order to add or get stuff out of the bed by the cab. No easy way to access that space

They make cargo hooks to get to stuff. I made my own plus the side windows on the topper help get to stuff.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

5 1\2 foot box is almost as useless as t!t$ on a boar.I drove cars in my youth that had more useful cargo space in the trunk alone.

mnfisherman18

I guess I need to turn in my man card, I love having a 5.5′ box with a topper. Im a weekend warrior and dont work in the trades, and my F150 short box feels huge compared to my old SUV. Also used to live downtown, try parking in half the ramps down there with a crew cab long bed, it gets old pretty quick.

My otter sled and pop-up fit perfectly in the bed and sit there all winter, and never had an issue packing for longer fishing trips with 3 guys.

stout93
    Becker MN

I guess I need to turn in my man card, I love having a 5.5′ box with a topper. Im a weekend warrior and dont work in the trades, and my F150 short box feels huge compared to my old SUV. Also used to live downtown, try parking in half the ramps down there with a crew cab long bed, it gets old pretty quick.

Totally agree. And on top of it a long bed is probably the stupidest looking truck I’ve ever seen..

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I don’t know, I think they look great

Attachments:
    1. 20231103_180619-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’d rock one of these as well

Attachments:
    1. 2-Toyota-Sienna-UUV-SEMA-2015-11-4-15.jpg

CaptainMusky

You can’t get an 8 ft bed in a half ton crew cab that I know of. Has to be an hd. Love my 6.5 box on my crew and will never have the tinker toy box.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

BC-
    No duellies? moon

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

BC-
    No duellies? moon

No I’m not that manly. But I do wish I had your color rig. That cranberry is bad to the bone.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

stout beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

MX1825

Totally agree. And on top of it a long bed is probably the stupidest looking truck I’ve ever seen..
    [/quote]

stout you just haven’t taken a looong enough look!!

Jason

The standard 48 gallon tank on a long box Superduty seals the deal for me. My last 4 trucks have all had 8′ boxes, the ability to haul stuff on hunting and fishing trips has been priceless.

Attachments:
    1. 20231216_082537-scaled.jpg

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

8’ is a full bed, 6’-6” is a short bed, and anything smaller is a micro bed. But guys don’t like it when their thing is called micro. The only reason to get a smaller bed is so the truck fits in your garage. Even then go with a double cab with a 6’6” box. I know this is not what is being pushed at the lots because most people don’t use their truck for truck stuff. Most guys are no longer men either. Not saying you need something bigger to be a man. You do need to own a hammer. I do miss my 8’ bed but not as much as I enjoy leaving in a warm truck from the heated garage. I do hall a 4×8 sheet of something more than once a month.

Saw a new truck with a single cab and micro box this weekend. Looked funny being so short. I don’t think the back wheels would hit the fuel door on the truck Jason shared.

TH

I have a 1500 ram with a 5’7” bed and it’s just fine for me. I don’t feel in need to compensate for anything though.

I fits in my garage nicely and I can turn it to park.

3Rivers

This completely comes down to personal preference and how you use it. In the past 10 years I have ran into very few occasions that I wished I had a longer box. The shorter length makes daily driving and parking a lot easier. I prefer maximum cab space and keep most of items in the back seat and now that I have RAM boxes, I have even more great storage space for my girly tools and gear.

But that’s just me.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have a 1500 ram with a 5’7” bed and it’s just fine for me. I don’t feel in need to compensate for anything though.

I fits in my garage nicely and I can turn it to park.

That’s kind of how I feel too, and I only have a 5 foot box. I’m not hauling any lumber, portable fish houses, or sleds in mine.

And it fits in my garage too.

I can see how some people might prefer more space though.

mojogunter

Plowing with a crew cab long box is a nightmare if you are plowing in tighter spaces. I would have ordered an 8′ if I didn’t plow with the truck. I have the 6’4″ box, and have had that size box since 2004. I did have a mega cab with the 6’4″ box and that also sucked to plow with.

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.