Cleaning up critter litter

• redneck
    Rosemount

Dean,
    I was just there Saturday buddy and you didn’t mention these new jigs. I would say the dragging bite is about upon us so these jigs are getting out just in time

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

I have been out looking for deer sheds for the past couple weeks here in Montana. It’s been going good so far as I think I have about 30 so far. Nothing real big yet but still a lot of fun and some good exercise to boot. Thought I would share a few of my favorite pictures so far.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

very cool! bout’ time somebody lights up this board!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

30… Wow that ought to fire up some shed hunters. I drove all around back home before the storm last weekend. Still lots of deer holding, but there were some bucks still sniffing with no head gear. I need to line up a weekend to go do some looking.

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Some awesome pictures! I am hoping to pull cards this weekend to assess whether or not they are holding around here. I have a few on camera I would really like to find this year.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Great pics. I like the one of your pup. My Floyd would love to get his teeth on an antler!

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

What a start! Now all we need is for our snow to go away to help find them.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

You and your pup have got the eye! Nice job behind the lens as well, looks like an amazing place to put the boots down !

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

Went with a buddy this weekend to one of our favorite spots. We usually find a lot of sheds here as the deer are traveling from a river bottom to an alfalfa field to feed. This is the first year I have been there and there was no snow on the ground. That made it a lot tougher. The deer were spread out all over the place and since they didn’t get any snow the grass and weeds were tall making the sheds tough to spot. Saturday we hiked all day and ended up with 22 sheds. Went back on Sunday for a half day and found another 9. My dog picked this horn out of one of the fields on Saturday evening. It’s the best one of the weekend. Scores 67.

Want to get back out there this weekend but instead I have to get 4 wisdom teeth pulled

kooty
    Keymaster

Well, that sucks about the teeth. If it makes you feel any better, I had a couple filled the other day. My tongue was apparently rubbing on the new “rough spot” last night. I sound “different” today…

The pup seems to be figuring out the game!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

What do you guys do with all these sheds?

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

Most of the sheds sit in a pile in my garage and collect dust for a year or two before I sell them. I keep some of the bigger or unique ones. I don’t make any money at it, hell it doesn’t even cover my gas. But it’s fun to get out in the winter and get some exercise and you never know what you might find.

It’s also a good way to really learn a hunting area without having to worry about blowing all the deer out and wrecking any hunting.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Cool! Thanks. If anyone has one or two that they’d be willing to part with, I’d be interested. PM me a price. They’d have to be decent sized, as I have a 145 lb dog.

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

Last weekend I made my annual trip from Montana to South Dakota to so some shed hunting. They had a lot of snow there this winter so the deer were in big herds for most of the winter. The worse the winter the better the shed hunting is as a general rule as the deer are congregated around food sources and bedding areas. Well this year was no exception. I had the best year I have ever had in SD. I shed hunted for 3 days and picked up a total of 84 sheds. Mostly all fresh with only 6 or 8 being from last year. It was as if everywhere I looked I was into horns. I know I could have found more but I ran out of time. I just kept asking different landowners for permission to shed hunt and they all said go right ahead plus they told me where the deer were most the winter. It was one of those things where you just can’t do anything wrong, everywhere I looked I was into sheds! A person has to have a weekend like this every once in a while to make up for all the times you go out and don’t find squat!

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

Great haul!

Did you come out with many sets?

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

Yeah I had quite a few sets. I didn’t count them but probably 6 or 8 I would guess. A lot of the smaller sheds could be sets, I never looked them over and tried to match them up.

kooty
    Keymaster

Next year an invite would be nice…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.