Shaded Area Plot ideas

• prieser
    Byron, MN

We have a space in our woods that has a lot of shade, but is an awesome travel route with two stands near it. It wasn’t always shaded but the direct seeded tree’s have really taken off and now the plot just doesn’t seem to produce like it used too with all the shade it gets. Sooo…..question is, will the oats/rye/clover work in this space for a late plot or should we be looking at something else. Plot is only 15′ wide but it is about 150′ long. I will attach a overhead view to help explain the space we are working with.

Attachments:
    1. Untitled-1.jpg

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I just planted 3 timber drag trails in rye/clover. I have had some luck with clover in shade but not a lot. I have no idea on the oats in shade though.

If you are going to get anything to grow though my only bet would be on rye/clover.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

As far as the common northern food plot crops, the most shade friendly crop are clover varieties. Personally, I’d try a clover blend and just go all in on this. If clover doesn’t work, nothing else is going to work much better.

My concern with mixing clover and grain in a shaded plot area is that the grain may sprout and quickly grow initially, which would shade out the clover in an already limited light situation. So you may be providing light competition that harms the species that ultimately will be the best with limited sunlight.

BTW, the other problem you may encounter near pine plantations is acidic soil. Have you done a PH test? You may need to put down a heavy dose of lime to make sure anything grows very well.

Grouse

prieser
    Byron, MN

Thanks Sticker and Grouse,

We’ve planted this space, it seams, every other year for 6-8 years now since the trees have shot up. If memory serves, we always do plant the oats/rye with the clover (competition for light) makes sense. FYI the closest pines are roughly 25-30 yards away and to that point, my dimensions above should have been stated as yards not feet. We will try to get a soil sample regardless.

The direct seeded area was implemented with the help of the forestry department, tilled and sprayed the 5 acres for one full season and then came in with Black Walnut, Red and White Oak and Ash and broadcast the space. In what I believe is 12 years of growth, that direct seeding is quite simply amazing. Last audit by forestry put it at somewhere around 900-950 trees per acre. It is time to thin it out. Walnuts are winning the battle for the sun light for sure, should be some great veneer grade lumber, 50 years after I’m dead and gone, but still a great little plot…..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.