Winter action

• the_real_doc

While most of MN fishermen look for safe ice, action is still good in rivers with open water.

White Suckers are still biting in full force on nightcrawlers…

Golden Redhorse…

Even picked up a Greater Redhorse today…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Now that looks like fun. Might trick my mind and body into thinking it is early spring though.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

If the warm trend keeps up, I’ll be out open water fishing suckers in the next week or two. Nice fish!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I might have to too. Glad I didn’t pull all the line off my reels. I just loosened the drag and brought them indoors. I probably will have to run down the road to fish, since I can’t find people to ice fish with yet and who knows if the ice will even be safe.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Hey Doc, without getting too specific, where are you fishing? I have a couple Mankato area spots that I’d like to try, but am afraid the water level is just too low..

the_real_doc

Small to medium sized rivers. Mostly targeting slow, deeper pools and likely looking wintering areas. In the river I fish the water is really low right now. So most of the water near this wintering area is shallow, riffle water. Worthless to fish this time of year. These fish are still pretty active though, considering the time of year, and water tempratures. Their just all in one area right now. And Redhorse and Suckers are good cold water species to begin with, so hopefully the action will continue until the area eventually freezes up. Then the goal is to catch these same species thru the ice, including Carp too.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

great pictures. Do you bait shops still carry crawlers this time of year? I have been on some fantastic suck bites late in the fall around deer hunting and a little later. Its good to see they keep biting.

the_real_doc

Some still have crawlers, some dont. I do know the Gander in Lakeville had them as of a few weeks ago. One good thing to check for when buying crawlers in the winter season, make sure they are still alive before you leave the store. Nothing sucks more than making it to your spot, then finding your bait to be dead as a doornail, which is really common when buying crawlers this time of year. They just die inside the tubs after so long. Most stores dont re-order any during the winter season, so the ones still around are probably pretty old.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.