Any dogs with Addison’s disease?

• picklerick
    Central WI

She’s not a hunting dog, so I figured I’d post it in general discussion. Anyone ever dealt with this? Our #17 half Cavalier King Charles Spaniel hasn’t eaten since Sun. Lost #3. Took her in on Tue because she was trembling, lethargic and not eating or drinking. They hydrated her and gave us an antibiotic to start at home while tests were sent out. Yesterday they called and said it’s probably Addison’s. They kept her all day today and were going to give her an IV. We should know the results tomorrow morning. Sounds treatable and is fatal if it’s not treated, but looks like it may be expensive depending on which treatment is working best.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

No nothing about it sir, but hope the best for you guys.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

No nothing about it either and sure hope for the best sir waytogo

First time I heard of it sad

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Just googled it. Something with the lack of the pouch not producing steroids??

FinickyFish

I’ve got a Boxer with the exact opposite, Cushings disease. Drinks and eats like he’s on a dessert island and pisses every 5 min (I’m not exaggerating). It’s an extra car payment a month for meds and he’s only 7 but if we can keep treating it he should live a fairly normal lifespan. I know it’s not the exact same condition but they have a lot of meds that can treat cortisol imbalances like that. How old is your dog?

pass0047
    Pool4

Pretty normal quality of life but takes a bit to get regulated. Fair number of vet visits. Percorten shots work best as treatment. Good luck

MX1825

My daughter’s Vizsla had it. Passed away this past spring at the age of 12. Lived 4 years with it. Lots of Vet visits. I know treatment was expensive but they had some kind of Pet Insurance that reimbursed 90%. Also the dog was constantly thirsty and hungry. They had to limit water intake. The dog had many health issues over her life span. They were glad they took out the policy when she was a pup. Saved them a ton of $$$$$. I wish you and the dog the best of luck.

picklerick
    Central WI

Thanks for the replies. She’s six now. My wife found out yesterday that her company offers pet insurance but it’s probably too late for that. I’m sure she’d have to wait until open enrollment but I’d be surprised if preexisting conditions would be covered. She’s doing a little better since she got home from the vet. Ate about 4oz of chicken breast. Not drinking though. She peed a lot a few times so they probably juiced her up good yesterday. Vet said he would be doing surgeries starting at 8am today but would call if the test results were in before that. We probably won’t find out until afternoon.

FinickyFish

I’ve got accident insurance on my dogs after this same Boxer broke his leg. Unfortunately it doesn’t cover illnesses like this. I looked into the coverages that do but unfortunately they specifically exclude existing conditions such as cushings or addisons. Still worth a look to see if your wife’s work coverage will cover the preexisting on an animal.

MX1825

I know my daughter’s dog was on a lot of steroids and some kind of injection. Makes the dog hungry and thirsty ALL the time.

picklerick
    Central WI

Just an update. She’s positive for Addison’s and went right in for the shot yesterday. She gets a 1/2 tablet of prednisone twice a day too. I’d say she’s eaten about a pound of chicken breast since Thu evening and was mooching pizza last night and leftover pizza for lunch today. She drank some water a few times too. She’s still kind of out of it and mopey the rest of the time, but it’s a drastic improvement from earlier this week. She probably lost 1/4 of her body weight so she’s skin and bones now. Sounds like her appetite will be pretty unstoppable on the meds so she’ll gain it back and probably more.

picklerick
    Central WI

Chilling on top of the recliner. Three days ago she couldn’t even jump on the seat.

Attachments:
    1. 20230819_175212-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

waytogo glad to hear she’s on the rebound!!!!!!!!! peace

MX1825

Glad she is doing better pr.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.