rippin' raps

• joe feidt

anyone having good luck with the new rippin raps?? typically fish mille lacs and red lake. maybe some rivers and smaller lakes too. certain number hook or best colors? I got pink for the brightness but just curious what you guys think of them.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The red lake forum somebody just posted they were pounding them on green Uv I believe, personally i give up on them before they work

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

anyone having good luck with the new rippin raps?? typically fish mille lacs and red lake. maybe some rivers and smaller lakes too. certain number hook or best colors? I got pink for the brightness but just curious what you guys think of them.

Just got back from SD fishing perch and the #3 and #4 Rippin Raps in Orange UV and Green UV caught most of our fish with a 1/16 oz. Glow Gold Fish Rattle Spoon responsible for the rest.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

We’ve always done real well on them. I was suspect of them at first as I never did well on jigging Rapalas. I’m partial to the #3 for my starter bait. It’s usually the UV Purple down the hole first. I have caught everything from crappie to lake trout on them.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>joe feidt wrote:</div>

Just got back from SD fishing perch and the #3 and #4 Rippin Raps in Orange UV and Green UV caught most of our fish with a 1/16 oz. Glow Gold Fish Rattle Spoon responsible for the rest.

That glow goldfish color never fails! As for rippin raps I mostly use them along side a deadstick to call in fish. Most of the time they hit the deadstick but every now and then a real aggressive fish will hit the rap.

Travis

Love them. Great 1-2 punch with a deadstick or slab rap when the rattles are too much for less active fish. Uv pink, uv green, uv orange, emerald shiner all solid. Can’t go wrong! #4’s mostly….but #3’s are easily sliding there way into my heart.

Looking forward to the perch episode!

Nodak

I have yet to catch a fish on one, but I believe you so Ill keep trying.

hooper3454

gold on red lake, green on mille lacs happy pounding!

SW Eyes

I’m still trying to figure out if this is sarcasm.

These things are on the Mount Rushmore if ice fishing lures.

Ive had fish chase them nearly up to the bottom of the hole. I’ve had fish hit them while hanging motionless (while fiddling with something else). It’s not just a reaction, fish want to eat these things based on the profile/appearance.

You have to learn how to properly fish them (if I remember right, James Holst has a great video out there on that). A lot of people overwork them considerably.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Here is the video

Cameron white

Don’t work at all. Lol! These are all headed to winnipeg. The first batch of them.

Attachments:
    1. 2D8429C5-554F-4FAC-AAE3-5A49E9A9AD74.jpeg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

How to have success with ripp’n raps = watch Jame’s video —-from 25 seconds to about 35 seconds in and repeat it and repeat, and repeat until it sinks in. Since back in the days of “Fish the River” and discussing blade baits, the one most single important advise is SLOW DOWN and don’t over work it

Ryan Wilson

How to have success with ripp’n raps = watch Jame’s video —-from 25 seconds to about 35 seconds in and repeat it and repeat, and repeat until it sinks in. Since back in the days of “Fish the River” and discussing blade baits, the one most single important advise is SLOW DOWN and don’t over work it

Bingo. Even the #3 rippin’ raps have a very aggressive rattle. A couple decent rips to get their attention (depending on fish proximity) then just barely move it. I like to pretend I’m quickly, but softly, patting the back of a sleeping baby because the movement needs to be that subtle. It helps make the rippin’ rap do that “tail kick” thing that Genz is always on about.

Last ice season I caught my first fish with a rippin’ rap. It was an 8.5” gill on a #3 UV orange. If Rapala were to come out with a #2 with just a single treble on the belly, I would buy every color they made……(paging Mr. Holst)………

deertracker

Who makes the 1/16 oz. Glow Gold Fish Rattle Spoon you guys are talking about?
    DT

deertracker

Thanks James. That’s what I thought, just couldn’t find it at Fleet.
    DT

Tyler Warner

#3 and #4 Rippin Raps are my go to for perch and crappie!

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

I have two very distinct videos that may help with people fishing these a bit better?

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

That is not the video I meant to share doah
    James or anyone els that may want to can take that one down as Its not relevant…

This is what I was talking about!

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

This one might give a little more insight on how slow you need to move but I wish I had the capacity to explain out loud whats going on when a GIANT mark shows up lol jester

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

While I am on the subject of Rippin Raps! Does James or anyone els for that matter know where you can find that GoldFish color in the #3 #4 or #5 Rippin Raps?

Shaun A

I dont think that colour (GoldFish) comes in a rippin’ rap only the VMC spoon

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Orange uv is what rapala has or custom paint.

Paul Delaney

The Rapala Rippin rap is a great fish catching bait both open water and through the ice. This bait is often thought of as a high action bait used for aggressive fish which works great for aggressive fish but often is a great bait for neutral to negative fish. I have found many times through the ice when fish are coming in and looking at baits and just won’t bite that switching over to the Rippin Rap and using it somewhat aggressively not stopping the bait and not allowing the fish to really look at the bait too long they will often just come up and strike the bait.

Tyler Warner

The Rapala Rippin rap is a great fish catching bait both open water and through the ice. This bait is often thought of as a high action bait used for aggressive fish which works great for aggressive fish but often is a great bait for neutral to negative fish. I have found many times through the ice when fish are coming in and looking at baits and just won’t bite that switching over to the Rippin Rap and using it somewhat aggressively not stopping the bait and not allowing the fish to really look at the bait too long they will often just come up and strike the bait.

That happens to me often. Funny we would think they would almost spook them away in those instances. Can’t say it’s a surefire thing but sure works more often than not.

DMHEID
    Bismarck, ND

I’ll mock up a #6 rippin rap in the glow goldfish color for those of you wondering what it would look like. What I see on the spoon, i’ll have to do a glitter base first. Stay tuned.

Here’s another glitter base I’ve done in the past.

Attachments:
    1. 22310508_1102554936547802_1484355995563513316_n.jpg

catmando
    wis

Dang it so I go to the sports shop buy half a dozen Northland gold glow shots spoons. Hope they work! at least they are 1/16 oz .

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Rippin Raps and Slab Raps are almost the first thing that goes down the hole for me when fishing walleyes. Only when they stop and stare at the Rap do I switch to jigging spoons with meat.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.