Recommended rods

• Adam Betz

Hey I’m looking for some advice I’m in trophy zone for Northern Pike which regularly reach the “40+ inch range. I need a new spinning rod and reel as I lost one last season trolling. Any and all suggests would be a great help looking to stay under $350.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I use a Penn Battle 2 3000 reel and Shimano Compre Medium Heavy 6’6″ rod for pike fishing. Probably a bit lighter than most but have never had a problem with Pike in the upper 30 or lower 40 range. I usually run 20 or 25 # Power Pro braid on it.

I don’t throw a ton of larger spinner style baits. Mainly big plastics and various crank baits.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

What size baits? For me, I’m using my spinning rod for baits between 1/4oz to in the 3/4oz range. Heavier baits I switch to a baitcaster.

St. Croix Premier 6’6″ MH for 10+ years and love it. Personal preference if going to 7′. I use 12#-17# mono so the stretch may be a benefit when fighting the fish.

Rod is plenty for pike in the mid to upper 30’s. Unfortunately I have not cracked the 40 mark yet but not worried about the rod.

Reel: Have a few trips on a Pflueger Purist. Happy so far but sure there’s lots of good choices.

Adam Betz

Thanks guys for the advise and insight I’d be casting baits well over an 1oz. I really haven’t found a bait too big last year the pike were so aggressive hammer handles were hitting 8″ spoons. I’m a big fan of oversized top water as the pike here like to put on a show. The rod I’m replacing was a bait caster and the only issue I had was the tendency to tangle when fishing braid

mr-special
    MPLS

If you’re replacing a bait caster I would recommend another baitcaster. I use a 7′ Abu Garcia veritas medium heavy fast tip paired with a curado and 50sufix 832. They should be well under your budget if I had to guess about 250 total

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I liked my St. Croix Premier spinning so much that 3 years ago I replaced a baitcasting rod with the equivalent. Love it too. Even if a different brand, something in the 7′ mhf or hf around $100-$130 should do well.

Somewhere over the 1.5oz range my Medium Heavy fast is starting to strain a little. Technically the rating is 3/8oz-1oz but it can be pushed a bit. Mepps Giant killers for example. You may want to look at a heavy fast, a bass flippin stick, or maybe a light musky rod for those big baits.

Where are you at in the pike belt? Seems you have some enviable problems.

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

Adam –

Check out the latest next bite episode on Rainy Lake, early season big northerns. Trent and Ben were using the 6’10 and 7’1″ JTX from JT Custom Rods. Both rods can handle the trophy size northerns.

Adam Betz

Hey thanks a ton I’m looking into the all the suggestions and I’m way up in northern Canada. Fort Provindence, Northwest Territories, it’s a tiny hamlet on the Mackenzie River. The fish here get little pressure from locals besides netting so they tend to hit damn near anything. The biggest challenge has been finding companies willing to ship to a PO Box in northern Canada

Adam Betz

Thanks guys for all the help i ended up going with a St. Croix® Premier® Musky Casting Rod. Looking for a reel to pair with it something able to handle 30-50lbs line

Deke12

Any know of a good reel under $100

patk
    Nisswa, MN

@Adam betz

Abu Ambassadeur C3 6500 size

Maybe not the ideal choice but you live well into God’s country. Some will talk about durability issues and they don’t build them like they used to. There’s truth in those statements.

However, they’ve sold millions of them and will have good parts availability. Given you’re paying in Canadian dollars this might be for your budget than more expensive reels with harder to find parts.

Been running a pair of them for years. Will be trying out the Daiwa Lexa this year.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.