Re-winterize or leave it alone.

• pbitschura

I have an ’86 120 Evinrude on my boat. New gas this spring but she never hit the water. Winterized last fall. Would someone make the case to run the motor for an hour then re-winterize, or leave it alone til next spring. The boat hasn’t gotten use the last few years and I’d like to keep things maintained so she is ready when I am able to rip some lips again.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Did you run it at all? If not, I’d leave well enough alone. If I ran it a little bit, I’d probably just fog it and put it into hibernation.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I think a case could be made to get it out on the water and stretching things out a bit. Not just for the motor but everything else mechanical on the boat. Letting a boat sit a long time isn’t good for it.

pbitschura

I agree. But I need to apply the least worst option. She’s sprayed full of foam and gas free, fom fall 2013.. Thanks guys/gals. (almost left out the gals.)

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

If you haven’t got out all year in it, screw the boat, YOU just need to get out in and fish all day man!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I would take the middle road. Don’t run it, but do some things to make sure the motor especially doesn’t experience damage during the long layover.

Remove all spark plugs, spray fogging oil in the cylinders, and spin the motor with the starter for a few seconds to make sure everything stays free and is well lubed, replace the plugs.

Make sure everything is staying dry if it’s stored outside and re-up on the anti-rodent measures no matter what. Make sure the battery is stored properly and kept charged.

The main concern is the fuel stored on board. Ethanol-free fuel with stabolizer added will keep for several years, but it MUST be true non-ox gas. Some people mistakenly believe that all premium fuel is non-ox / no ethanol, which is not correct. Personally, I would check to make sure water isn’t collecting in the fuel and/or phase seperation isn’t occuring.

At the very least, before you take it out next year (you will, right?) I would pump out a fuel sample using the bulb and check for water. This is easily done and the only “testing gear” needed is a clear glass jar. I pump about a pint of fuel into the jar. If you need help knowing what to look for, google for some pictures. Water will sit as a layer on the bottom of the fuel.

Grouse

pbitschura

Make’s sense. I’ll squirt some foam into the cylinders and give her a bump.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Even with it being stabilized I would find a way to transfer most of that fuel to your automobiles a little at a time rather than ever use it in that outboard.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Even with it being stabilized I would find a way to transfer most of that fuel to your automobiles a little at a time rather than ever use it in that outboard.

Agree on that.

-J.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yes, I would still test it and if it looks pretty good, I would pump it out. I can’t see getting to next season and being able to trust fuel that is that old.

Personally, though, I would fill the tank back up with fresh fuel and stabilizer. I just like storing tanks wet, not dry. I’ve had far more problems from fuel drying up than I have from fuel that went bad.

Grouse

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Mine sat too long and I was concerned… I tested it to see if there was any separation, then I still pumped it out and ran it 5 gal. at a time in the truck til it was gone!!! Then I refilled with premium and stabilized to get ready for the season. All went well…

Mark

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.