Rat River

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Is the river deep enough to travel by boat from Black Bay all the way to Ericsburg?

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

I’m not sure but I did go way up to where I could see a bar with a boat landing. Had to be more then 10 miles from the bay.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thanks Wayne. I think that was the bar in Ericburg.

Pretty good depth most of the way? How big is the wide spot?

blackbay

Yes you can boat from Black Bay to Ericsburg in normal conditions. It can get a little sketchy when the water is low. I’ve only been as far a Rat Root Lake myself but there are people who have places in Ericsburg that fish Rainy all the time.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thanks Black Bay. Rat Root Lake very big & deep or just a wide spot in the river?

blackbay

It’s mainly a wide spot in the river. The lake is almost 2.5 miles long but only about 1/4 mile wide and 8 feet deep.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

I was trolling much of the time, plenty deep in channel but shallow to each side. You would need to map the channel as the “chip” doesn’t show it. It would be at least 45 min run as you need to slow down for people fishing or cruising the river. I was trying for Crappie’s but ended up catching a number of huge Perch. Seems the window for Crappie is small so timing is critical. Much better Crappie fishing on Canada side. I’m told you can hit rocks but didn’t see any on at least a dozen trips, there are deadheads here and there. Good luck.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

No interest in Crappies.

Thanks for the info.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.