Rainy Waterspout

• nodak

Just returned from our first ever week on Rainy lake Friday. Spent a lot of time looking at this forum for reports and info before we left so I figured I would make a post about our trip. Have spent time the last couple years on Namakan and figured we would give Rainy a try this year. The big girl treated us well most of the trip but showed her power with a waterspout coming to close for comfort to our campsite when the storms rolled in Wednesday evening as shown in the video below (Warning strong language). When the rangers came to check on us the next morning they informed us that a couple houseboats had suffered damage from some large trees being taken down by this waterspout. Didn’t hear of any injuries thankfully and thankful that we were able to avoid it. Fishing was decent with about 50 eyes boated over 5 days of fishing out on the reefs with gold spinners, night crawlers and leeches during the afternoon. Biggest only being 23″ but caught enough for a couple meals and few take home fish. Can’t wait for the next trip up, hopefully no waterspouts next time though.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

Awesome video! Glad you made it out safe. That’s not something you get to experience everyday.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We saw other videos of the waterspout that night on the news while we were at the cabin. That was some rough weather….what maybe 5 hours of tornado warnings and server thunderstorm warnings going right over that very area.

eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

Gold spinners?? Were you pulling like a snell? Did you guys do much with minnows? We are heading up on Sunday it’s my favorite few days of summer!

eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

Oops forgot to mention that if you ever wanted a guide for a half day which I would recommend, call Chris Granrud with Rainy Daze.

We have been going to Rainy this being our 10th year and I find it helpful very 3-5 years to get him. Tactics change fish movements etc. Learned a lot from being out with him a few times.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.