How Long

• yote_tamer

High everyone I am new to the sight but I need to ask something,how long should a guy wait until trying to call again in the same spot. Here is the deal I called in a fox the other day and missed but the sign tells me he frequents the area, it has only been one day but I really want to get this guy.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

We haven’t had fox around our area in so many years I don’t know much about them. I’d guess give it a few days or simply sneak in and sit(no calling). At minimum, use a different call.

What were you using when you missed him? I’d try a mouse or woodpecker, assuming you were using a rabbit distress when he came in.

Hey, Welcome to IDO!!! Looking forward to your stories and pics of success!

yote_tamer

I was using a rabbit call what do you think of trying a decoy along with the call next time

bassmaster
    SE, MN

I have several fox in the areas I hunt. My rule has always been if I shoot one or miss it I will give it at least 3 weeks before I go back. This has worked well for me for many years. When I do return I will use the same call I did before and its worked well. Good Luck.

johnee

I would wait. You’ve put him on alert now so he’s going to be super-wary for a while. My feeling would be you just run the risk of making him even more difficult to call in if you push it. Sometimes you just have to be patient, these predators are hard enough to hunt without sending them on a crash course in call avoidance.

Decoys, I think, are another of those things that works great on the predator TV shows, but they aren’t filmed in Minnesota. And for good reason! The coyotes and fox out here aren’t chumps and there are vastly fewer of them per square mile.

I’ve heard VERY mixed reviews of the success with decoys in Minnesota and Wisconsin. They seem about as likely to send the predator running for the hills as they are to bring him in.

Look at it this way. Why mess with success? You called him in once with a call only, why add additional complicating factors with a fox that’s now going to be twice as wary? I’d say rest the calling area and let Mr. Fox get back into his routine.

Also, it’ll give you a chance to get out and scout other areas.

Grouse

yote_tamer

thank you all for the advice I will keep you posted on what happens I am going out this evening at about 430

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.