Pool 2 Report (2020)

• birkato

I fished the mouth of Minnehaha Creek and all the way up the rock wall towards the lock from shore today from about 3-6. Not a single bite. Several boats and other shore fisherman out and I didn’t see any fish being caught. Current is fast and water is high. Guess I will try harder next time! Rain in the forecast will only make the river push higher.

Deuces

Rain in the forecast will only make the river push higher.push the walleyes to shore where I am.

Fixed it…. woot

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Was out in the boat and covered a ton of water with little to show for it.

Cold, fast, dirty and rising isn’t recipe for a good bite. Looks like the next couple weeks will be tough.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Was out in the boat and covered a ton of water with little to show for it.

Cold, fast, dirty and rising isn’t recipe for a good bite. Looks like the next couple weeks will be tough.

Looks like I’ll be bass fishing in WI for those couple weeks…..

BrianF

Since misery loves company, I’m happy to report that I also blanked today.

buschman
    Pool 2

I was up at the confluence on Monday. The MN was at 41.8 degrees and the sipp was at 38.4. That’s all you need to know. They gone!! There are lots of fish set up in areas yet but don’t think they are white tips.. I don’t think it is the high water anyways. For the big girls it is time to lay some eggs and will be a couple weeks before they find their way back down to post spawn areas.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I was up at the confluence on Monday. The MN was at 41.8 degrees and the sipp was at 38.4. That’s all you need to know. They gone!! There are lots of fish set up in areas yet but don’t think they are white tips.. I don’t think it is the high water anyways. For the big girls it is time to lay some eggs and will be a couple weeks before they find their way back down to post spawn areas.

I was real tempted to go left at the Confluence yesterday….

I caught a couple decent females late last week – not a sniff yesterday with the exception of a couple of small males. I assumed the fast rise and water remaining cold shut it down. I was thinking spawn was maybe a couple weeks yet but you think they are staging already?

I found a few spot on the Miss with water temp at 42….couldn’t mark a fish.

buschman
    Pool 2

I was real tempted to go left at the Confluence yesterday….

I have been tempted for years ) haha.. I believe they are running to their staging areas and with the temps forecasted next week we might see these fish spawn or start spawning by 4/10. I hope sooner than later. That just means they will head back to their summer homes earlier than we have seen in a couple years.

Deuces

There are big fish that pop up above the confluence still, although somewhat rare. Really more luck than skill. But they can come out the smallest of eddies.

It gives me hope so anyone says otherwise can go to he!!. grin

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

There are big fish that pop up above the confluence still, although somewhat rare. Really more luck than skill. But they can come out the smallest of eddies.

It gives me hope so anyone says otherwise can go to he!!. grin

I can attest to that!

Sharon
    SE Metro

Okay, who’s fishing from their car down at the 494 access today? I didn’t take this photo, someone posted it on facebook and I just had to share it here! mrgreen

Attachments:
    1. Pool-2-Photo-from-FB.jpg

sji

Wasn’t me, I always fish from the passenger side.

buschman
    Pool 2

I took a boat ride down river today. the main channel was at 46.7 degrees. She is getting warm. River has crested for now. I did find warmer water in some back water areas but nothing too crazy. I would guess the walleyes should be spawning over this next week. I hope anyways. It was a nice afternoon for a boat ride!!!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I took a boat ride down river today. the main channel was at 46.7 degrees. She is getting warm. River has crested for now. I did find warmer water in some back water areas but nothing too crazy. I would guess the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes should be spawning over this next week. I hope anyways. It was a nice afternoon for a boat ride!!!

Where did you launch? Might try and get out this weekend but assume the public launches will be closed. Maybe Hidden Harbor?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Took a boat ride Sunday. Put in at Willies. Just pay the $10 at the box by the ramp near the bar and use the concrete ramp on the other side of the parking lot. ( I bring an envelope and write my license plate and date on envelope) Never had any problems doing that.

-J.

buschman
    Pool 2

I launched at willies.. I an not sure why he has not opened the ramp next to the bar there. It is nicer than the one up top but either way its still a boat ramp I guess.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I think the one right next to the bar was closed most of last year, too.

Might see you guys out there Saturday if anyone makes it out.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Hey Mike
    what kind of new boat did you buy? did you retire the alumacraft?

buschman
    Pool 2

I think the one right next to the bar was closed most of last year, too.

Might see you guys out there Saturday if anyone makes it out.

It was closed last year because they wanted to replace it but thought they had the concrete pad poured and ready to go?? Must be something not done under water that we cannot see.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Still there on Sunday…. tongue

dbright
    Cambridge

Did you drop a beer off for the guy Jon?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Did you drop a beer off for the guy Jon?

Nope, kept our social distance! wave

-J.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Tried to get close enough to get a beer in her hand. Almost got stuck in the mud.

Attachments:
    1. 51163196-7E7D-4033-B578-E2FC5D9877E4.jpeg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Couple small males and one decent fish. 23.5” female still with eggs. Water was 46 in most places. Seemed to be pretty clear but it’s still high and fast. I would assume the bite will get pretty good soon.

Attachments:
    1. 2EAC82FA-08C1-4779-8592-9FA2BEE2864F.jpeg

Jim

Fished Tuesday afternoon/evening and was blanked. Dragged and pitched plastics by the confluence and the dam. Also trolled a 3-way with a Rapala. Only saw one other boat. He was looking for fish with his electronics and not finding them.

About 6 people were fishing the mouth of Minnehaha. I saw one walleye caught.

There was a lot of water coming over the dam so the current was fairly strong.

Water temp 47 F

Anyone else fishing pool 2? I was surprised there weren’t more boats out.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

We fished way down river a couple days back and found some awesome fish.

Heavy current seams with slow water on the inside. We dragged up the slow side of the seam at .2-.4 with bright plastics. Fish were hitting hard.

null

coyle053

New poster here- wife is pregnant and I have a new boat I need to get on the water. Are there any boat launches on Pool 2 or elsewhere on the river that are friendly for a single person to launch/pull from? Looking to go tomorrow whenever, wherever. Just havent heard much on water levels, docks, etc.

Thanks,

Dan

Cody Meyers

The 494 launch is open I think, but that can be a little rammy without the dock in if you aren’t used to launching solo.

coyle053

Thanks Cody- definitely can do it, its just a new boat so i am babying it! Thanks.

Cody Meyers

Usually beaching on the downside of the ramp is ok. There is a wing dam on the down river side too, so be sure not to cut the corner going out to the main channel.

Viewing 30 posts - 211 through 240 (of 615 total)

The topic ‘Pool 2 Report (2020)’ is closed to new replies.