Pool 2 Report (2020)

• mark z
    South Minneapolis

Out today for a short time. Here are the conditions:
    -Water is up to 10 feet from the top of the boat ramp at hidden falls.
    -Island below the dam is about 3/4 under water.
    -Water is churning with cross currents, upwelling etc., so hard to find a distinct current seam.
    -Lots of slack water below the locks, but did not mark fish.
    -Subject to change hourly.
    Be careful.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Any other reports from last weekend?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Was out for 6 hrs Sunday. Caught 3 small walleyes. Did spend a fair amount of time reminiscing about the fantastic walleye bite this winter on pool 2. That ended about the same time the warm temps and spring boats showed up.

Ryan Sandstad

Was out from 3 to dark on Sunday. Caught 5 walleyes near confluence. 4 small ones and a fat 24″. Pretty slow. Saw a couple other boats land small ones. Heard of one big one caught on that pontoon that was out there.

Cody Meyers

That was one heck of a pontoon. You know that if your toons were painted at the factory…it’s nice.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I was down below Fort Snelling last Friday and there was still dry ground. Or at least it wasn’t underwater. Would anybody know if the water levels have come up since then? Is the point area at the confluence still exposed and a guy can walk down there?

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I answered my own question without having to hike down there. Here’s a shot from across the river looks the same if not a little lower than last Friday.

Attachments:
    1. 24DAD69E-5C3D-4CE7-BB71-35460012259B.jpeg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Water is coming down fast and below action stage. Time to self quarantine on the boat this weekend.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sure is Matt. Might have to give pool 2 one more shot before heading elsewhere for the summer.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Was out for 6 hrs Sunday. Caught 3 small walleyes. Did spend a fair amount of time reminiscing about the fantastic walleye bite this winter on pool 2. That ended about the same time the warm temps and spring boats showed up.

I can relate

I do cherish the bitter cold, all to yourself, couldn’t be hotter bites… and soak in as many as the river will allow.

toast

Pogues2300

Very anxious to fish to have a few hours of fun. I live in Bloomington, is there a place yet i could launch and fish from a pedal kayak yet or any estimate when it would be safer? I know this is walleye focused but id take a smallie too if they wanted to bite…or anything else at this point. Hope everyone is staying safe.

mojogunter

Pretty high current now, so if you are experienced in high current go for it. If not it may be wise to wait a while for the levels to drop. Backwaters may be open now. Stay safe

Very anxious to fish to have a few hours of fun. I live in Bloomington, is there a place yet i could launch and fish from a pedal kayak yet or any estimate when it would be safer? I know this is <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye focused but id take a smallie too if they wanted to bite…or anything else at this point. Hope everyone is staying safe.

CS

Not sure it’s safer current wise btw DT Minneapolis and Ford bridge during higher water (than below dam), but it’s good smallie fishing. You can launch a kayak on the west bank by the riverboat cruise operation across from the U.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Not sure it’s safer current wise btw DT Minneapolis and Ford bridge during higher water (than below dam), but it’s good smallie fishing. You can launch a kayak on the west bank by the riverboat cruise operation across from the U.

Pretty sure that section would be considered inland water and closed for the season.

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Lions closed. 494 open. Bring rubber boots!

-J

Attachments:
    1. 0C74118B-A781-4647-8251-6FAE65529769.jpeg

2. E293DE5B-63BB-4B45-90E5-F9166A1894F8.jpeg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Launched out of hidden falls today. It was a zoo down there with boats and park goers.

Did pretty well…. caught a dozen in a couple hours. Biggest was a fat 23”.

Water is still cold….38 degrees. Fish were deep and wanted it slow.

Attachments:
    1. 033E912A-0C72-48B7-99CB-12526AECC1B3.jpeg

boone
    Woodbury, MN

As Jon posted, Lions Levee ramp in St. Paul Park is closed so my son and I launched at Willie’s Hidden Harbor ($10) late Friday afternoon. The water temperature in the channel ranged from 42 – 44 F. I thought the water clarity was pretty decent; it wasn’t chocolate muddy and there wasn’t a lot of debris.

My son prefers to shoot things rather than catch things so we went bowfishing. He got a decent sized buffalo and missed a couple other fish. I use to do a little bowfishing years ago in the summer but I’ve never went so early in the season. We’ve got a lot to learn.

Boone

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

So is this the new early bowfishing season that you have to be in a boat on select bodies of water?

boone
    Woodbury, MN

So is this the new early bowfishing season that you have to be in a boat on select bodies of water?

On page 66 of the 2020 Minnesota Fishing Regulations booklet it states that the early season is from Feb. 24 – April 24th. Must be south of Hwy 210, only on lakes and on the Minnesota, Mississippi, or St. Croix rivers. You must bowfish from a boat during the early season.

Pete U.

Big thanks to the fisherman launching his boat who caught the plate # and the conservation officer who found the person who hit my trailer and ran. Guilty party paid for the broken tail light when confronted. Hidden Falls launch this afternoon.

Attachments:
    1. 26331317-0173-4D08-9082-4B1885C472F3.jpeg

RipLip

We need more Good People in this crazy 🌎. It’s refreshing to hear that folks are looking out for each other.
    So how was the bite?

Thanks for sharing!

Deuces

Ive been chucking cranks at night here and there down there. Nada so far. Hopefully soon.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Ive been chucking cranks at night here and there down there. Nada so far. Hopefully soon.

Been tough for me from shore as well. Hopefully the warm up will bring them a bit shallower.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>

Been tough for me from shore as well. Hopefully the warm up will bring them a bit shallower.

40 degree water temp was the key for me to have shore fishing turn on. Was 38 on Friday. After today and tomorrow we should see it warm. The rising water ain’t gonna he’ll though. I’ll bet in 10 days it’s rocking if we don’t see another big rain.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

We got into a couple sows in the last couple hours of light last night.

Current seams were the ticket – Couldn’t find them in our usual spots so did alot of driving and scouting. Green Paddle tail dragging the seam put most of our fish in the boat.

null

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Hidden falls is closed. Expect the others to be shortly behind.

Deuces

The ramp or park?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ll bet in 10 days it’s rocking if we don’t see another big rain.

That doesn’t look good. Got rain coming the end of the week.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

We got into a couple sows in the last couple hours of light last night.

Wow sow and a half! Nice fish! waytogo

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

The ramp or park?

Ramp is closed. Was able to get out on watergate. They will likely close, too, according to the guys down here.

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 615 total)

The topic ‘Pool 2 Report (2020)’ is closed to new replies.