Pool 2 Report (2020)

• Cody Meyers

Got to believe it’s a rough one out there today!

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Wonder how many boats are out today?

I’d guess zero boats out today. I’m wondering about this coming Saturday. The forecast calls for a low of +12 Saturday morning but warming up to 33. But with several hours of sub zero temperatures and a couple days of sub 32 degrees, how much ice will have formed and will the ramps (Lions or 494) be usable? Maybe the windy conditions are hampering ice formation. But when it’s -12 F, that’s 44 degrees below the freezing point of water so ice forms pretty fast.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

On the other hand sun is getting strongerand stays up longer every day. 25 degrees and sunshine will get things melting again. Even with that I doubt a ramp will be open this weekend without someone putting in some work on it.

buschman
    Pool 2

I wouldn’t be making any plans to fish this weekend.. No pool 2 anyways. Not to be negative. Just realistic. I would guess about 6 + inches will build at the base of the ramp and will need a few days to see the sheet extending out to fall apart. An airboat is an option I guess ) haha

john23
    St. Paul, MN

It usually takes a few days of above freezing weather to open the ramps up, but if anyone wants to go cut one open it would be appreciated. Please PM me to let me know when it’s ready to go. )

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Couple photos of 494 Friday morning. Wind was sure blowing the steam off the last few open spots. Ive seen the ramp look better. Wonder if its changed much today?

Attachments:
    1. 20200214_112000.jpg

2. 20200214_112028.jpg

mark z
    South Minneapolis

Hidden Falls was open yesterday, (after some work). Small ice shelf at the base of the ramp. River open to the confluence. Still large ice shelves extending from shore of Pike island. Water temp 32.5 degrees.

Curtiss M
    South Minneapolis

Hey Guys…new to the forum. I was searching for info about Pool 2 fishing and stumbled upon this forum. Wow…you all are a dedicated bunch! I really enjoyed reading the 2019 thread and now I can’t wait to give P2 a shot. I think it will still be a couple of months before the the first outing since the boat is not stored very close to me(South Minneapolis) but wanted to get your thoughts on what a good plan would be for a first trip out? Which launch and which direction to head? I’ll have a buddy and my main objective off the bat would be getting familiar with the river while he fishes. What are your thoughts? Also, I would love to tag along for a few hours someday if anybody is willing to show me the ropes a bit. Obviously not looking for the honey holes but more so how things work on the river. It’s a bit intimidating for a rookie. Thanks in advance guys and gals!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Welcome to the site. Tough to predict what the river is going to be doing in 2 months. Could be normal flow or flood stage. Both are good times to be on the river but flood stage might not be a great time to learn about the river.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Hey Guys…new to the forum. I was searching for info about Pool 2 fishing and stumbled upon this forum. Wow…you all are a dedicated bunch! I really enjoyed reading the 2019 thread and now I can’t wait to give P2 a shot. I think it will still be a couple of months before the the first outing since the boat is not stored very close to me(South Minneapolis) but wanted to get your thoughts on what a good plan would be for a first trip out? Which launch and which direction to head? I’ll have a buddy and my main objective off the bat would be getting familiar with the river while he fishes. What are your thoughts? Also, I would love to tag along for a few hours someday if anybody is willing to show me the ropes a bit. Obviously not looking for the honey holes but more so how things work on the river. It’s a bit intimidating for a rookie. Thanks in advance guys and gals!

When I started fishing the river consistently about 5 years ago I found it easier to learn on the upper stretch. Basically from the confluence up to the dam. I found it easier to find “fishier” spots along that stretch. Learn techniques and then move south to the 494 area. That’s a lot more water to cover but generally bigger fish.

The launch at hidden falls isn’t bad but I’d suggest paying for watergate marina the first few times. It’s protected and then you have one less thing to worry about.

A million techniques work depending upon temp and flow. Current seams and a jig and minnow work year round. You will almost always find a crank bait bite or plastics bite, too.

Just get out there and do it. It’s not as intimidating as it seems.

Welcome to the forum!

Deuces

Any newb to the river should grab waders, go up to the Mississipi in Monticello where the warm water discharge keeps it open year round and walk around in the river all day. The warm water hugs the western shoreline for the most part, and you can feel it thru the waders. You can also feel the strength of the current thru the waders. Walk around the islands, walk around fallen treens, walk around small rocks, big boulders, feel the warmth where it is, where it stops, where the current seams are for faster water to slower water, look into the water and see how the floor gets deeper around objects, or where the sediment piles up. You can see where minnows hide, where mussles congregate, and on and on.

Its a learning experience that will transfer over to any other moving body of water. Fish are lazy and want to be in those seams, no better place IMO for a newb to learn those than up there.

Brad Muckenhirn

This message is for Mike!

Trying to head out to pool 2 tomorrow AM!

Stopped by Lions this AM and it was frozen tight. All the work you’ve done is noticed, but everything refroze.

Any plans to head out there today? Or 494 and do some work?

Thanks!

Curtiss M
    South Minneapolis

Thanks guys…Mike, totally get your point. Based on last year’s thread it seems like it was a wild season. Is it normally a little more consistent than it was last year? Matt, I am working on putting together a starter pack for tackle. I’ve got some jigs and plastics. Will start looking into a selection of cranks as well. What are you guys using for rod/reel/line setups? I used to fish smaller water with my dad and we were using ultralights! No way that is appropriate for the Miss. Would a medium rod and a decent spinner be ok? Spool it up with some sort of braid and then tip it with a fluoro leader? Or will that leader get destroyed by the rocks and hidden junk under the water?

I like that idea Beads. I’m going to look into that a bit as well.

Hopefully some of you will be getting out this weekend? Looks to be fantastic out there. I have a few family members coming up and we’re going to hit the ice in the north metro on Saturday.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Thanks guys…Mike, totally get your point. Based on last year’s thread it seems like it was a wild season. Is it normally a little more consistent than it was last year? Matt, I am working on putting together a starter pack for tackle. I’ve got some jigs and plastics. Will start looking into a selection of cranks as well. What are you guys using for rod/reel/line setups? I used to fish smaller water with my dad and we were using ultralights! No way that is appropriate for the Miss. Would a medium rod and a decent spinner be ok? Spool it up with some sort of braid and then tip it with a fluoro leader? Or will that leader get destroyed by the rocks and hidden junk under the water?

I like that idea Beads. I’m going to look into that a bit as well.

Hopefully some of you will be getting out this weekend? Looks to be fantastic out there. I have a few family members coming up and we’re going to hit the ice in the north metro on Saturday.

I don’t mind dragging some newbies out. Things change a lot, crystal clear right now, snow melt will bring flooding and dirtier water, flow generally slows down May into June (except for last year due to rain all spring) as the water warms up and things change again as winter comes. Different spots and techniques will bring success depending on river conditions.

Good news, fish are always biting, bad news (or fun part) is that conditions can change day to day.

buschman
    Pool 2

Curtiss, there are a few launches that you can use on P2… Best advise is to find one of them and work specific 1 mile sections of the river near the launch. You don’t have to go far from any of the launches to find fish after May.. Till then it is a little tricky but focus on fishing after the first week of May and you will find fish in every 1 mile section of the river. After you learn one section good then move to another section and learn it as you did on the first area.

When you are new to the river and fishing in May…. Go with crankbaits. #7 shad raps, Storm smash shads and any good bass crank bait that runs 6-10 fow will catch fish. The river will be dirty. Use bright colors.. 10-20 pound braid and you do not need a fluoro leader.

Crank baits are your best search bait that time of year. It also allows you to get a feel for bottom composition while you are fishing an area. Just pick a section of the river and start learning it. May will bring high water so don’t go past your comfort level if you are not familiar with fishing in high water either.. Focus on shoreline current seams.. Areas that offer relief from the current. This will give you a good start.

There are many other baits to catch fish on beside crank baits but stick with the crank baits at first.. They work and will help you build confidence in what your doing. Casting and trolling both produce fish in the right areas.

CBMN
    North Metro

This message is for Mike!

Trying to head out to pool 2 tomorrow AM!

Stopped by Lions this AM and it was frozen tight. All the work you’ve done is noticed, but everything refroze.

Any plans to head out there today? Or 494 and do some work?

Thanks!

Brad,

Both ramps should be fine to do all the chopping you want to get out tomorrow morning.

Brad Muckenhirn

I have never done such a thing and am not sure if I trust myself nor do I know where to start. Was just wondering if someone had plans to go out and do it!

buschman
    Pool 2

I have never done such a thing and am not sure if I trust myself nor do I know where to start. Was just wondering if someone had plans to go out and do it!

Brad, have you been down to the launch??? I am curious what it looks like.. 1st things first is a shovel. We need to clear the snow off the landing pad and let the sun get it. She was pretty icy on Monday night getting off the water. Shovel, sand and prep is what I do first. I cleared that landing twice this year and the levee a couple times as well but not able to get down there today.

Curtiss M
    South Minneapolis

I don’t mind dragging some newbies out. Things change a lot, crystal clear right now, snow melt will bring flooding and dirtier water, flow generally slows down May into June (except for last year due to rain all spring) as the water warms up and things change again as winter comes. Different spots and techniques will bring success depending on river conditions.

Good news, fish are always biting, bad news (or fun part) is that conditions can change day to day.

Thanks Dave…I’ll keep that in mind if I get my act together before I get the boat out of storage.

Curtiss, there are a few launches that you can use on P2… Best advise is to find one of them and work specific 1 mile sections of the river near the launch. You don’t have to go far from any of the launches to find fish after May.. Till then it is a little tricky but focus on fishing after the first week of May and you will find fish in every 1 mile section of the river. After you learn one section good then move to another section and learn it as you did on the first area.

When you are new to the river and fishing in May…. Go with crankbaits. #7 shad raps, Storm smash shads and any good bass crank bait that runs 6-10 fow will catch fish. The river will be dirty. Use bright colors.. 10-20 pound braid and you do not need a fluoro leader.

Crank baits are your best search bait that time of year. It also allows you to get a feel for bottom composition while you are fishing an area. Just pick a section of the river and start learning it. May will bring high water so don’t go past your comfort level if you are not familiar with fishing in high water either.. Focus on shoreline current seams.. Areas that offer relief from the current. This will give you a good start.

There are many other baits to catch fish on beside crank baits but stick with the crank baits at first.. They work and will help you build confidence in what your doing. Casting and trolling both produce fish in the right areas.

Busch…this is all incredibly helpful. Thanks man. Having a game plan and a few tools is what I need to get going on this.

Brad Muckenhirn

I was at Lions the AM and you could see the chop from other people. Was frozen about 1-2″ thick. Will check after work today. Work in Cottage Grove.

Will stop by 494 as well on my way home and update you all.

buschman
    Pool 2

Curtiss, here is a link to navigation maps from the corps.. This has info that your lakemaster chip will not have. It shows the main channel, channel markers, submerged rock areas, ect… Some of these wingdams marked are there but silted in now but you can see where they were placed.

I would look through some maps, print one out and use that for your scout area.

I did this years ago and kept all my notes on that pages. This way I have info of my own that no one else has and you can learn a lot from them if you pay attention and identify specific things the corps have done over the years. When you do put a pattern together in a specific stage/flow of the river then you can look through the maps and replicate that spot/pattern in other areas.

https://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/Missions/Navigation/Navigation-Charts/Upper-Mississippi-River/

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Any word on 494 ramp taking the boat somewhere in the am rather go pool 2 than down to red wing.

Brad Muckenhirn

13 trailers. Lions could use a little work. Its looking promising. Should be good mid afternoon or after first boat. Hasting was frozen below the dam

TMF89

494 about an hour ago, ramp was looking alright.

Attachments:
    1. 20200221_174615.jpg

2. 20200221_174557.jpg

3. 20200221_174611.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Still a little ice out on the river.

Attachments:
    1. 20200221_132215.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Any reports from today? Heard everyone was out.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

When I got to the 494 ramp at about 1:15 on Saturday, all the trailer parking in the lot was full. I had to park on the road. But it didn’t seem like there were any more boats fishing the usual community spots than there was a few weeks ago.

As far as fishing goes, I think it was slow for most. I fished about 4 hours but only got one 19″ sauger. I heard of a couple other boats that got two and four respectively.

There was a fair amount of big ice chunks floating in the channel but not too bad. But what was floating looked pretty thick. There was a pretty good upstream breeze that made it easier to see the ice.

The river was covered shore-to-shore with ice / ice chunks at the airport. It didn’t look like breaking through it would have been possible. I thought about trying to make some big wakes at the edge to see if that might get things loosened up and starting to flow but there were just too many boats out fishing down stream that would have had to deal with the ice. I highly doubt I would have been successful anyway.

Here’s a picture at the airport.

On a somewhat related note, the size / value of the average boat out there today was amazing. Lots of really nice 20+ foot fiberglass boats. Lots of really nice aluminum boats. There was a nice looking Warrior with a 350 hp Suzuki. Nice boats everywhere you looked.

Attachments:
    1. 001.jpg

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Was pretty slow today. Didn’t see really any caught. We ended up with only 2 fish both 24”-25”
    the fish were probably hiding under that ice sheet out of the sun And hiding from the army of boats rotflol . Didn’t see much for walleyes in the stretch north of 494 on the mega imaging like I was seeing up until last week. There was big pods of fish but it seemed most were suckers and catfish that moved into them areas. Keeping the boat positioned right and slow enough was and tad difficult though today.

Ryan Sandstad

Hows hidden falls looking? Anyone been out of there lately? Thanks

Daniel Ellingson

Caught 4-5 average size fish at Hidden Falls but overall was pretty slow.

Attachments:
    1. 6723ADDA-C530-43B1-BD89-B767AE2BFC27.jpeg

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 615 total)

The topic ‘Pool 2 Report (2020)’ is closed to new replies.