Pool 2 Report (2020)

• john23
    St. Paul, MN

Pool 2 does have some fat walleyes… (these are two pictures of the same fish – there might have been something wrong with it)

Attachments:
    1. 8EA9D84D-3C06-4FB5-BD12-8052824D3C1B.jpeg

2. 39E0B982-943A-4596-B9D0-435D3F61F90A.jpeg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Wow. That one just doesn’t know when to push away from the table.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

I’ve been getting a few messages asking if pool 2 has 30″ fish. Well, we stuck a true 30″ last week which measured at 30×18 and weighed 10lbs 15oz.

My favorite walleye pictures to date and my buddy Jon’s PB – he’s getting a replica made.

Attachments:
    1. DSC09585.jpg

2. DSC09579.jpg

3. DSC09574.jpg

4. DSC09569-v2.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Wow…what a fish. I’ve seen a handful of 29″ fish in my boat on P2 but haven’t seen a 30″ in person on P2. I know they are in there.

Now that it’s getting cold again maybe it’ll keep the floatilla away. Here’s to hoping the launches don’t freeze yet.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Awesome fish and great pics Jakob! What camera are you using?

-J.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Really nice photos on that fish too in the fading light with the glowing eyes.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Awesome fish and great pics Jakob! What camera are you using?

-J.

I use a Sony A7sii with a 16-35 canon lens. Thanks guys!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Wow…what a fish. I’ve seen a handful of 29″ fish in my boat on P2 but haven’t seen a 30″ in person on P2. I know they are in there.

Now that it’s getting cold again maybe it’ll keep the floatilla away. Here’s to hoping the launches don’t freeze yet.

Part of me hates to say it, but this site drives a lot of traffic. Every time pictures go up, the traffic spikes. Even back when it was Dezurik posting reports, though to a lesser degree then. People try it, realize it’s not as easy as the pictures make it look, and then it slows down again until the next set of pics. The good news is it’s 100% catch and release. The crowds bug me, but there’s plenty of river out there.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

Part of me hates to say it, but this site drives a lot of traffic. Every time pictures go up, the traffic spikes. Even back when it was Dezurik posting reports, though to a lesser degree then. People try it, realize it’s not as easy as the pictures make it look, and then it slows down again until the next set of pics. The good news is it’s 100% catch and release. The crowds bug me, but there’s plenty of river out there.

I get it but it doesn’t bother me too bad. It was kinda fun having all the boats out there this past week. I learned how to fish the river (and I’m still learning) because of the posts here. It’s such a huge and diverse body of water that gets so little overall pressure I don’t worry about it.

What amazes me is being down other times of the year when the fishing is just as good and you don’t hardly see another soul. For some reason people think you gotta freeze your tail off to catch big fish.

Dominick Winge
    Saint Paul, MN.

Wondering if anyone knows of any productive spots to bank fish Walleye/Sauger between Kaposia landing fields and the Lilydale boat launch. I’ve been dragging and jigging minnows and soft plastic paddletails really slowly primarily between the Smith Ave bridge and Robert St bridge and haven’t caught a single fish or even gotten a bite for the past 3 weeks. TIA

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I would think some of those rocky shorelines at Raspberry Island would hold fish at times. Seem like a real nice shelf on the down river point of the Island.

Other than that think I would look for current seams comming off shore. Even better yet with some rock near those seams. Make sure to hit prime times right before sun up and at dusk.

Find a likely spot and make sure to work you baits extremely slow. Adjust jig weights so the plastics just touch bottom now and again or not at all. Did I mention slow down. At times stop reeling and just hold the rod still.

Keep searching. You’ll find spots.

Abe Fischer
    SW Metro

Wondering if anyone knows of any productive spots to bank fish Walleye/Sauger between Kaposia landing fields and the Lilydale boat launch. I’ve been dragging and jigging minnows and soft plastic paddletails really slowly primarily between the Smith Ave bridge and Robert St bridge and haven’t caught a single fish or even gotten a bite for the past 3 weeks. TIA

I’ve nabbed a few at Kaposia Landing. The stretch below and above the railroad bridge. Slighty upstream of lilydale at the convergance is good, too. I know this is out of your zone, but it might be worth the effort, more seams and small rocky shoreline transitions.

Dominick Winge
    Saint Paul, MN.

I tried that spot yesterday on the downstream point of Raspberry Island on the Main channel side of that shelf. Didn’t stay too long but I agree it definitely looks like it has potential, I’m probably gonna focus my efforts on a few spots that are the most likely to hold fish. The island being one and Abe Fischer^ mentioned the Railroad bridge at Kaposia Landing, I’d been thinking of trying the downstream side for almost about a month now cause I’d seen there’s a decent drop off fairly close to shore there, just hadn’t done it yet. With the temps dropping it’s not really practical to switch spots a lot especially since I’m on foot. It’s likely why I haven’t been catching fish, not enough effort or the right spots. I’ve been stuck on my summer spots for so long I hadn’t used good foresight in preparation for the winter. Thank you for the replies, reaffirmed my thoughts on sticking to those 2 areas. If the weather gets into the mid 30’s I’m gonna try upstream from Lilydale and maybe at the point of Pike? Island at the convergence, any thoughts on which river in general is better fishing this time of year? I caught a bunch of decent Saugers and a couple Walleyes 2 years ago in late November at the mouth of the Blackdog lake spillway? where it flows into the Minnesota river but I’ve never fished there other than those couple days and with the geography of rivers being so variable I didn’t want to go out of my way for a wasted effort if it’s not a consistently productive spot.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The confluence on the fort snelling side can hold fish from shore. They’ll move up during lower light and you’ll have a shot from shore there.

The north end of pike island where the creek runs through is another spot worth trying. If the water is flowing out of the Mississippi and into the creek there is a great deep cut into the creek mouth. Crops the bridge and fish the south side at the mouth.

My guess is it’s a low light bite from shore. I’d bring in minnows of it was me….a light jig and a fat head or even a minnow on a plane hook with a little 3 way dropper will work. Plastics will work but you can’t beat live bait from shore.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>john23 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

I get it but it doesn’t bother me too bad. It was kinda fun having all the boats out there this past week. I learned how to fish the river (and I’m still learning) because of the posts here. It’s such a huge and diverse body of water that gets so little overall pressure I don’t worry about it.

What amazes me is being down other times of the year when the fishing is just as good and you don’t hardly see another soul. For some reason people think you gotta freeze your tail off to catch big fish.

Interested to learn what made you or other people start fishing Pool 2? Did your dad fish it, did a buddy introduce you to it, learn about it in print media, from this site, or other social media? Specifically the fall bite, and more specifically the fall night bite?

I first I remember hearing about the Pool 2 fall night bite was from Mike Bonn when he use to own Blue Ribbon Bait in Oakdale. That was probably about 20 years or more ago. But he was very tight-lipped and really wouldn’t share any helpful advice. Reports on this site no doubt spark interest. Just like reports of the a good smallmouth bite on Mille Lacs makes we want to try that someday. It doesn’t seem to me that there’s been much more fishing pressure lately on Pool 2 than in past falls. If there is, it could be due to normal water levels for the first time in a few years, very mild weather and light winds recently, and Covid causing an uptick in outdoor activities.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

For me Boone it was purchasing my first computer. It came with a AOL disk for a free month. Searched catfish right away. Found fishtheriver.com. I bet with in the 1st 6 months of reading reports on the site I had purchased a boat and on the way to pool 2. That was over 20 years ago.

What I hear from guys that fished the pool long before that is fishing pressure now is nothing compared to what it used to be. Guess back in the sauger days and before catch and release on the pool it sounds like traffic was more like it is at Red Wing.

For me I enjoy seeing people I know out there and meeting new people. On the other hand would like a little less pressure on some of the good spots.

Mike Otis

Awesome question Boone. I used to drive over the 35E bridge when heading into work and would always see the “crazy” people fishing the confluence once the ice melted. I was immediately interested, but never had a motor that was reliable enough to feel safe on the river. Fast forward to this past spring, I bought a new motor, and now I’m on my way towards winning the Hog Haul next fall… jester

I got out a couple times this weekend and it was slow for me. I up sized my plastics and hard bait approach but I think I need to keep working on improving boat control, so I can slow my presentation to a crawl. I might try anchoring a bit more than I have been in the past.

Cody Meyers

I’ve been fishing the MN River for about a decade. I basically just washed down river to fish bigger water roughly 3 years ago.

Started fishing P2 in search of mixed bag catfish.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I started because I lived near Minnehaha park and walked down one spring in very high water. Guys were verical jigging off the little bridge over the creek and caught fish as fast as they could drop a line. I only fished lakes at that point so really hit the shorelines hard for a couple years. This was probably 2010ish.

Got the old Lund in 2012 and started on the upper end without spot lock so I trolled and slipped the current. Once I upgraded the TM I started venturing to the 494 area and found IDO about the same time. I’ve really tried to accelerate my knowledge the last couple years or so. Got the Ranger with the setup I really wanted with a 112 and the Garmins which has been fun to allow me to run around even more.

Now I need a backup flat bottom boat to spend more time in the backwaters….

Charles Drilling

Hey guys I’ve read posts on here for awhile but never joined so I guess hello my name is Charlie and it’s nice to informally meet you all!

I have a question. I’ve began to cut my river teeth on 4 the last two years but I’ve never fished 2. Just in terms of navigability, if I were to drop in at the 494 bridge, is it safe travels up to the confluence if you watch the buoys and like generally use common sense?

Hoping to splash the boat on Sunday maybe I’ll see you folks out there!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

it safe travels up to the confluence if you watch the buoys and like generally use common sense?

Yes, easy run. Long run, but easy. Also, fyi – its no wake from the Robert St Bridge to the High Bridge. Basically all through downtown.

-J.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Pool 2 tip of the week for those that are still getting out. Its well known that river walleyes like Christmas decorations. A few decorations on the boat might just be enough to bring them in to celebrate with you.

Ho ho ho.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charles Drilling wrote:</div>
    it safe travels up to the confluence if you watch the buoys and like generally use common sense?

Yes, easy run. Long run, but easy. Also, fyi – its no wake from the Robert St Bridge to the High Bridge. Basically all through downtown.

-J.

The biggest hazard this time of year will typically be ice floating in the channel. It breaks off of the shore lines. And without any snow on top if it, it can be difficult to spot, especially when it’s dark with no wind.

If you want to fish the confluence, Lilydale or Hidden Falls would be a shorter run if those ramps aren’t iced-in.

Mike Otis

Haha! So that’s how you boat all those jumbos, Mike! Hilarious.

I got out last night without Christmas lights and boated 8 between 16″ and 20″, with a bonus cat fish. I was fishing steep breaks with a slow controlled drift. I’ll be getting out again this weekend and next week since I took work off. I’m thinking that hanging a wreath around my trolling motor will get me up into the 20+ realm.

There’s some decent size chunks floating around and some of them were piling up at the launch. I did my best to push them out of the way, but I’m sure they’ve piled back in.

Good luck out there guys!

Jake

Pretty new here but my name is Jake, been fishing pool 2 seriously for the last year or so, should have started a lot sooner since I live less than 5 min from the 494 landing. The last week before the recent cold snap was pretty good for me. Was out last night and it was a lot slower. River went down a bit from last week and the flow is real slow and I was also shocked at the clarity of the water. Slow slow slow was the ticket, water temp was 32- 33.5 If anyone sees me out there don’t be afraid to say hello, I drive the black and white 20 ft Alumacraft with a 200 merc tiller on the back.
    Some pics of my better recent fish.

Attachments:
    1. 47125064-F558-4157-879A-4D3F2B10DA53.jpeg

2. 6A01ABBB-6B2A-4D2E-81BB-294913FA8689.jpeg

3. 02AE5A36-B80A-4FA5-B05A-58887C61D852.jpeg

Charles Drilling

Yeah I hear you on the ice. My biggest question was just if there’s any legitimate specifically hazardous areas in that stretch. I plan to just spend a good amount of time checking various areas out along the way. Miles of good water which I’ve never been on so hopefully learn some stuff and maybe get to put the bend in a rod this weekend! (In a non snag type way)

Jake

Charles if you keep it between the buoys you’ll be ok. As mentioned before watch for ice, I did see one or two logs coming down yesterday but other than that there was no issue running up river.

mark z
    South Minneapolis

Hello All,
    I started fishing Pool 2 around 2011, I was walking my lab at the dog park across from Hidden Falls and watched a guy catch a few walleye trolling upstream from the culvert.I was intrigued and was “hooked”. I live in south Mpls, and can have the boat launched in 20 minutes from my house. I fish from whenever the ramps are open until mid August.(Fall is hunting season).
    I am not a big fan of night fishing, so I leave all those big girls for you hard core river rats. I especially enjoy taking friends out and putting them on fish, especially on a warm spring or summer morning.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Welcome Jake and Mark! Look forward to seeing you out there.

Viewing 30 posts - 541 through 570 (of 615 total)

The topic ‘Pool 2 Report (2020)’ is closed to new replies.