Pool 2 Report (2020)

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Nice fish Jake.

Charles Drilling

Fished for a few hours yesterday afternoon. Flipped one sauger over the edge and had another fish on that felt closer to the size category we’re looking for, and naturally it spit the hook halfway up.

Anyone goin out today?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ill be out this afternoon and the next few days to. Closed up shop til after Christmas to take full advantage of the weather.

Was out til about 8 o’clock last night. Very nice out but just couldn’t get the big gals to go. Friday evening was much better with a pair of 27s and a 28.5 for big fish.

Attachments:
    1. 20201219_081952.jpg

2. 20201219_084417.jpg

Charles Drilling

Sweet nice fish! Was that you in the new looking flat bottom boat last night? I peeled out right as it began to get dark… my 13 week old pup had about enough.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We gave it a go tonight for about an hour and a half and it was miserable with the wind. As it was getting dark we started to do some dragging and a bunch of sheet ice was coming down river. It was dark and the sheets were big enough we decided not to deal with it and loaded up.

I think that’s it….my guess is it starts to lock up with calm winds and low temps this week. Sure has been a good fall of fishing.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

One last go round tonight before she locks up good. With the low flow she might lock up good this winter. Just never know.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Good luck tonight Mike!

Jake

I second what Matt said about the ice last night, it was a pain to deal with, it wasn’t skim ice either some pretty thick and substantial sheets.

Unfortunately I think it’s gonna lock up pretty tight with the colder temps on the way. Hopefully there are some warm temps in the future.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I second what Matt said about the ice last night, it was a pain to deal with, it wasn’t skim ice either some pretty thick and substantial sheets.

Unfortunately I think it’s gonna lock up pretty tight with the colder temps on the way. Hopefully there are some warm temps in the future.

Saw you heading upstream about 4:30 or so – we were in the Crestliner along the rip-rap. There were some big chunks which is why we decided not to risk it.

Sweet rig, by the way!

Jake

Thanks Matt! Yes the ice was thick it took till about 9 or so for it to all clear out after that it was pretty clear but cold. Plenty of small fish nothing big wanted to eat.

Was out tonight until 11 or so, the wind was whipping pretty good for awhile which made boat control a challenge. Looks like tonight will be my last night of 2020. It was a great year see you out there in 2021.

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

I was with Matt 2 nights ago and the ice got crazy. We had light issues, so didn’t have the spotlight which would have helped. After 4 hours of clear water with no ice or wood, we look up stream and it looks like we are in the north west passage! I assumed it was thin sheet ice until we bumped it going up stream with the TM and the boat bounced back! Once we got into the channel it was better but still tricky getting back. I changed the oil in the boat when back and think I’ll give it a break for now to get on the ice instead of in it.

buschman
    Pool 2

The only thing we dont like about the ice is when your bait slides up and bumps that ice. The part when you set the hook and your jig comes flying back at your face. I have set the hook on a few pieces over the years anyways. All part of the deal I guess.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

End of December and no major ice issues. Ill take that. Fished last night and a bonus trip this morning. Fishing was not great but it was fantastic to still be getting out there. 47 degrees out when I put the boat in this morning. Loaded up in a monsoon at noon. 32 degrees and a blizzard when backing the boat in along side the house.

Chad shut down the ramp right behind me today for the time being. Lights are off and gate closed for a little while Im guessing. Been a fun fall on pool 2. Chainsaw is ready to go for any mid winter warm spells that pop up.

Attachments:
    1. 20201223_115923.jpg

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’m half surprised you didn’t do well this morning, Mike. I bet it was still nice to be out in 45 degree weather with no wind. What do you mean Chad closed the gate and turned off the lights?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Kris Kringle on the bow is a nice touch, Mike!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Kris Kringle on the bow is a nice touch, Mike!

I’ve got one of those yard gnome type Santa things at my house too and it creeps me out.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

He might be rerired after today. Soaking wet. Took a hook on a back cast. Part of his head is melted to the bow light. He has seen better days.

Dominick Winge
    Saint Paul, MN.

Anyone been out on the river since the ice melted? I’ve been fishing Pickerel lake in Lilydsle and the bite has been nonstop and all were decent sized fish (Crappie, Northern Pike, 1 Walleye) and a couple of em were biggins. Needless to say it’s kept me satisfied but there’s something about open water fishing that’s just hard to beat for me. By no means am I willing to trade a limit for getting skunked though. Just thought I’d get see what’s going on with the river bite, or if it’s even existent.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I heard there were boats out this week. Usually that’s a hush bite until the river locks up again. I have been enjoying some ice action too and trying river spots this year. waytogo

Isn’t it Steve’s job to start the 2021 P2 thread? grin

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’ll start the 2021 thread as soon as one of you guys takes me out fishing. I put the boat away early because of circumstances. Feeling a lot better now and if I don’t wet a line soon I may have to be sedated.

SR

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Pool 2 is like fight club this time of year.

Zach meyer

Any info on ramps for pool 2. Looking to get out mid day to evening. Spots in boat open as well.

birkato

I fish Pool 2 a lot in the warmer season (can’t say I know the water real well though). I have never fished P2 in winter though. For those of you that winter fish it, is there any decent place to shore fish or is a boat really the only good way to go? I lay my boat up over the winter so I can’t get it out until probably March. From what I have read, the heaviest concentration of fish is probably between St Paul and 694. Is that due to the relatively warmer water from the pigs eye plant or is that just where they hang out in the winter? If anyone is looking for a winter fishing buddy I would love to get out and see what P2 has to offer in the winter. I like to catch walleye but am also game for other species.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I fish Pool 2 a lot in the warmer season (can’t say I know the water real well though). I have never fished P2 in winter though. For those of you that winter fish it, is there any decent place to shore fish or is a boat really the only good way to go? I lay my boat up over the winter so I can’t get it out until probably March. From what I have read, the heaviest concentration of fish is probably between St Paul and 694. Is that due to the relatively warmer water from the pigs eye plant or is that just where they hang out in the winter? If anyone is looking for a winter fishing buddy I would love to get out and see what P2 has to offer in the winter. I like to catch walleye but am also game for other species.

Shore will be tough until the water starts to get back up to the 40 degree mark. It’s always worth a try though! Best bet would be after dark from shore.

If is was going to shore fish I’d try to navigate the dam wall just above Minnehaha if it’s not locked with ice. Jig and minnow or plastics but don’t break an ankle on the slippery rocks!

Dominick Winge
    Saint Paul, MN.

Well it’s looking like tomorrow will be my best bet but I’m feeling good, gonna try the hole by the left end of Kaposia landing fields in an hour or so if anybody happens to be out that way.🎣

I’m hoofing it, hopefully the river’s fishable😬

Dominick Winge
    Saint Paul, MN.

Well it’s looking like tomorrow will be my best bet but I’m feeling good, gonna try the hole by the left end of Kaposia landing fields in an hour or so if anybody happens to be out that way.🎣

Dominick Winge
    Saint Paul, MN.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Good luck. Be careful on that shore ice. It can be slick and break away unexpectedly. Think if I was going to shore fish this time of year the confluence would be where. Plenty of fish stack up in that area.

Dominick Winge
    Saint Paul, MN.

Yeah I was thinking that might be so. I’ve heard that a couple times but I’d never actually fished there myself. Sounds like a good idea, I’ll definitely have to give it a whirl tomorrow. I ended up heading back early today because I received an email about a bag of AuthentX Pulse-R’s is been waiting on getting delivered. I’ve got fatheads but I hear soft plastics tend to work better, I know they don’t fall off as much anyway so that’s a plus haha. I can see how they would seeing as how they’re something different.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Yeah I was thinking that might be so. I’ve heard that a couple times but I’d never actually fished there myself. Sounds like a good idea, I’ll definitely have to give it a whirl tomorrow. I ended up heading back early today because I received an email about a bag of AuthentX Pulse-R’s is been waiting on getting delivered. I’ve got fatheads but I hear soft plastics tend to work better, I know they don’t fall off as much anyway so that’s a plus haha. I can see how they would seeing as how they’re something different.

Attachments:
    1. 20201219_075930.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 571 through 600 (of 615 total)

The topic ‘Pool 2 Report (2020)’ is closed to new replies.