Pool 2 Report (2020)

• Dominick Winge
    Saint Paul, MN.

Niiice, Chartreuse/Green core? That’s what I got, I was debating on the Orange/Green core but from what I’ve seen firsthand Chartreuse has been a very productive color for Saugers on the Minnesota river.

CBMN
    North Metro

Plastics were the trick for me on the River last time out also. I would be very suspect of any shore ice right now though as what is left didn’t looks stable at all and my buddy luckily only got slightly wet testing the ice out.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Don’t rule out a slow rolled stick bait.

I haven’t been out since mid December but stick baits and plastics out produced live bait for any fish over 18” or so. Right at dusk a slow…I mean super slow….rolled crank bait along shoreline rocks might produce a monster.

The deep diving shadow raps and the sinking BX swimmers were awesome in cold water for me.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Niiice, Chartreuse/Green core? That’s what I got, I was debating on the Orange/Green core but from what I’ve seen firsthand Chartreuse has been a very productive color for Saugers on the Minnesota river.

Photo’d is Chartreuse Pepper

I primarily use Chartreuse-Green Core in the winter (90%), but also use these:
    Oystershell
    Purple-Chartreuse Tail
    Firecracker-Chartreuse Tail
    Chartreuse Pepper
    Purplecracker-chartreuse tail

Once the water dirties in the spring i go almost entirely to:
    Chartreuse-Orange Core (90%)
    Chartreuse Silver Flake White Core
    Chartreuse-Green Core

I do have every color, but these are time and time again used.

mark z
    South Minneapolis

Hidden Falls ramp has about 50 feet of an ice shelf. Ramp is usable.Main channel is open with ice shelves of 20 – 40 feet, to HWY 5 bridge.I will scope out from HWY 5 to the confluence and report back. Where are those crazy water skiers who opened it up last year??
    River is open to Watergate. Could not see to the confluence.
    Here is a photo of Hidden Falls ramp.

Attachments:
    1. IMG-0056.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Where are those crazy water skiers who opened it up last year??

Jim..
    Maybe he finally hung it up?
    He’d be over 400 months in a row if he hasn’t!

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20190223122433104.jpg

Hunter

Hi guys, new to the group. I fish the Mississippi quite a bit up north in the Little Falls area but never down here. I’m going to give it a go as soon as I can get a boat in. Any words of wisdom when it comes to safety on this part of the river?

mark z
    South Minneapolis

Welcome Hunter,
    Well some of the safety concerns depend on which part of pool 2 you are talking about and others apply to the whole stretch.
    1. As soon as the ramps, (Hidden Falls, 494 at this time of year), the biggest danger are ice chunks and ice sheets and logs).
    2. As spring progresses, and the river floods, the current can be quite a challenge, especially the back current at Hidden Falls.Watergate Marina will be open by then, and the ramp is very sheltered. (At that point you could head to Pool 4 out of Red Wing to scratch the itch).

Wing dams:
    There are no significant wing dams between the dam and the 35 E bridge. I am not that familiar down river from there.

Barges: There is barge traffic below the confluence with the Minnesota River. Something to be aware of.

I have found the vast majority of the fishing boats out on Pool 2 to be courteous and friendly. Since it is all catch and release for Walleye, Sauger and Smallmouth bass, I think are people are less territorial and proprietary about their spots. I am sure I missed some points, but others will probably chime in. Welcome and Good Luck!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

OK kids, it’s a whole new year. Time for somebody to start the “2021. Pool 2 Reports” thread. LOL

SR

BrianF

Safety concerns…

#1 – Barge Wakes. Not an issue this time of year, but last fall I was passing a very large barge going up-stream probably under full power. I have a big boat – Ranger 621 – and thought I was going to get swamped the wake-waves were so large! And they just kept coming. One of the scariest few moments I’ve ever had on the water in my 40 years of boating. Most barge wakes are manageable. This particular one…not so much. Boaters beware.

#2 Unseen logs. Most large logs or full trees bob on the surface and can be avoided. Some get waterlogged enough to sink just below the surface and can’t be seen. I hit one of these last year going about 35mph. It shut my 250 SHO down instantaneously. Thought my lower unit had been knocked off. Fortunately, it didn’t and I motored on, but my drive shaft later broke in half which can be attributed directly to this impact. Cost me two mo’s of boating/fishing as a new lower unit was required and covid had the supply chain disrupted. Its never completely safe out there for this reason IMO.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Hi guys, new to the group. I fish the Mississippi quite a bit up north in the Little Falls area but never down here. I’m going to give it a go as soon as I can get a boat in. Any words of wisdom when it comes to safety on this part of the river?

I’d read all the posts on the thread, start to finish, to get an idea of the conditions people run into out there.

You get very few mistakes on an icy river. There aren’t a lot of people out to save your butt, and might be none depending on when you go. Head up river from your landing if you don’t have a kicker for a backup motor, should your main quit working. Your trolling motor will not get you home if you are downstream of a landing.

Icebergs are a BIG hazard!!!!
    Know that your wake will be breaking ice on the shorelines, and will make for more ice bergs.

Couple years ago i wrote a post about fishing in cold water like pool 2, search for: winter-boating-reflections

If you’ve never winter boated, i suggest picking a warmer day and going to the busier pool 4 section. It is warmer water, with less ice bergs, and more help should you need any.

Some folks might call me crazy for some of the things i do on the river, but i have backup and a backup to a backup for when things go wrong! Example: 2 spare bilge pumps in the boat, a kicker and a trolling motor, spare gas can. jumper cables, etc etc etc….

I’d advise you don’t go with a full boat, as occupants can keep you distracted when you really have little opportunity to make a mistake.

Honestly, do yourself a favor, and read a lot of the winter posts on the Mississippi, there is little unsaid.
    You won’t see many “Green” (new) people on this type of water until the weather warms in march, so be cautious to know your own capabilities.

I’d highly advise you don’t go unless air temp is above freezing, though many of us do, there’s many added challenges.

Ice bergs can be clear, level with the water surface, and very hard to see. Plan on taking your time.

Do Enjoy!

hillhiker
    SE MN

One thing I don’t see mentioned to often when it comes to winter boating is keeping a dry change of clothes in a dry bag in the boat. If you do end up in the water you will have a much better chance of making it home. In that same bag I keep a jet boil with a bottle of water and some coffee. Otherwise take it slow, watch for ice, and wear your PFD.

Jim

Hi Matt,

Will you share what colors worked well for the Shadow Raps and BX Swimmers?

I pulled a 3 way a couple times and caught a couple on Firetiger floating raps.

I hope everyone is having a good winter!

Hunter

Thanks everyone for the info! Hope to see you guys out there.

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 615 total)

The topic ‘Pool 2 Report (2020)’ is closed to new replies.