POOL 2 FALL HOG HAUL 2019

• buschman
    Pool 2

here we go! Back to action stage next week. Looks like I will be carving the next week or two and wait for this to top off.

Attachments:
    1. sippi-levels.png

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Jon J. & Dave B. Team Sliders. woot

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

24 teams is the most we have had. Around 10 the least. 15 to 20 is pretty typical. It runs about half 2 person teams, half 3 person teams.

Looking like a typical 15-20 team year so far.

Couple of reminders:

– Please bring entry fees in cash. We will be at the ramp at 7am. Look for the White Chev 3500 with a white topper.
    – Have a working pen and spare to record your score.
    – Remember your bump boards.

Also, hope the weather is nice for an after tourney cook out / pot luck. Will post more as we get closer to T day.

Any questions, feel free to post or call. 651-343-9318.

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Team Griz and Greg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Team Todd J and partner

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Team MikeW and Eric. We will be out hitting all the spots the walleyes are not using.

One week away. River water levels are looking good this weekend.

Deuces

Was planning on fishing lower pool all next week but decided to go to leech for a few days. Will have to try to figure it out later in week.

Looking forward to finally meeting you river vets.

I save up veni all year for fall fishing, i should have some leftover for some chili for next weekend.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Chili sounds great.

buschman
    Pool 2

I was out for a few hours Saturday and Sunday. I noticed an improvement in water clarity on Sunday. I don’t know how accurate this new chart will be but comes as a bit of a surprise to me with it coming back up a little.. I suppose time will tell. I could see about a 4 inch drop on Sunday when I was back down. The bite is ok out there right now. I found fish but nothing that will beat Ken!!!!! haha.

Attachments:
    1. current-river-chart.png

buschman
    Pool 2

Now that I think about it I would say Greg and Dick will like this new chart the most… I might have to go out Friday and try to mess around with their fish up there.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Good to see you out there last weekend Joe. Always thought the unpredictability of this contest is what makes it fun. It doesn’t even pay to do much scouting a week in advance as a lot can change during the week this time of year. Think teams just need to rely on their knowledge of the river and how to fish its ever changing conditions. And as always some luck to.

Hoping to get out on Friday for some scouting to.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Might see you guys out there Friday. The bite went from lights out with low water to very tough for me last week. Hoping with the stable water levels it’ll clear up and get better.

This is about year 5 for me fishing the river and high, dirty water still befuddles me.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Think teams just need to rely on their knowledge of the river and how to fish its ever changing conditions. And as always some luck to.

I guess I better not be making any side bets since all I have is luck or lack of it. I look forward to finally meeting you guys in person.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Team Sliders will also be out Friday! wave

Also note – Everyone is invited to the awards / pot luck after the tourney. Come and check out the scores. Feel free to bring something to share and visit with other pool 2 anglers. toast

-J.

tangler
    Inactive

This is about year 5 for me fishing the river and high, dirty water still befuddles me.

X2. I was seeing consistent action on the upper end for most of August into Sept and now I’m just kind of lost. Have never done well during high water spring either to be honest. Gotta crack that code one of these years.

I am unfortunately going to miss the hog haul again this year, due to unexpected family obligations. But Mr. Beads and Rodwork will probably post a better score than if I had been in the boat jester

buschman
    Pool 2

Might see you guys out there Friday. The bite went from lights out with low water to very tough for me last week. Hoping with the stable water levels it’ll clear up and get better.

Matt, high water is great and easy to pattern. It pins fish into small areas… However rising dirty water sucks!!! It gets the fish blown around. Think of leaves in your back yard on a windy day. It gets them moving around but when the wind settles down there are piles of leaves left in specific areas. Rising water kind of does the same thing. It pushes them around and make feeding tough till the water and baitfish stabilizes. This week it is not rising much so wont shut the bite off but will keep us on our toes the day of the contest.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I need to be better about moving more when the conditions aren’t that good. I have a tendency to sit on spots too long….seems like on the lower end of P2 I’ll catch active fish in the first handful of casts on many spots, especially the dams. I’ll sit on those spots too long if I’m not getting bit.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

What was the river level at for the contest last year?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Think it was three years ago we had the contest with water levels hanging around the 10′ mark.

buschman
    Pool 2

The water will be up about 1.5 feet from last year.

One warning for the levee is that the dock is stuck on the post and will be under water. So might be best to use the downstream launch pad unless you can dunk the boat and back out quick on the upper pad. The dock will be about 1 foot under the water. You can see it. The new launch pads are really nice and in good shape. Just don’t plan on walking out on the dock at the launch this year.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

You also have the option to put in at 494 and motor down to Lions Levee for check in. waytogo

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

First year I won’t have guide trips this weekend.
    When I was telling the FW we’re taking the camper up for the hog haul, I was told we’re going to stay on P4… I said but but…

I’ll make it one of these years. I might be in a wheel chair, but by golly, no one else will bring Hamm’s. coffee

Parker Orhn

Parker orhn
    Devin Donaho
    steve mcconoville

sji

First year I won’t have guide trips this weekend.
    When I was telling the FW we’re taking the camper up for the hog haul, I was told we’re going to stay on P4… I said but but…

I’ll make it one of these years. I might be in a wheel chair, but by golly, no one else will bring Hamm’s. coffee

Based on this information are we to assume you are more the First Mate and NOT the Captain?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

From the NWS website. Weather for St Paul…. Uggg. smash Bring the rain gear. Gonna need it!

Saturday

Rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 60. South southeast wind 10 to 15 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Sounds like a nice day of wind blowing upstream.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

So are we going to do the pot luck? If we are I need to start my dish tonight.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

From the NWS website. Weather for St Paul…. Uggg. smash Bring the rain gear. Gonna need it!

Saturday

Rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 60. South southeast wind 10 to 15 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Fish hate getting wet.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.