Pool 2 Report (2024)

• buschman
    Pool 2

I have to assume the ladies were finishing up dropping eggs this weekend. I was surprised to see how warm the water was already.

P3 was 53-54 and pool 2 was at 56 in the main channel yesterday while I was out. I found 62 degrees in some back waters and the bass were piling up in some areas.

St Croix was a 45 degrees.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Monday was pretty good on Pool 2 with some bigger fish, Saturday was only immature males and smallies on the upper part of the river. Hopefully they get back on the chew this week!

One odd thing, lots of moss, weeds messing up my cranks. I dont know if it is flowing downstream or if it grew with all the low flow recently. It is showing up downriver too? Not a fan!

buschman
    Pool 2

Monday was pretty good on Pool 2 with some bigger fish, Saturday was only immature males and smallies on the upper part of the river. Hopefully they get back on the chew this week!

One odd thing, lots of moss, weeds messing up my cranks. I dont know if it is flowing downstream or if it grew with all the low flow recently. It is showing up downriver too? Not a fan!

I did see some of this downriver on Sunday.. I think it is just build up from last summer/falls low flow clearing out. We never really flushed the toilet from last year so maybe this is the start. Hoping for more flow to get these seams set up nice. Those females should be moving back down river this week.

Prodigyboatsguy

Have been out twice this week. Once Sunday and once yesterday. Only landed one eye on Sunday. 19” not far from lions park. Looking for a little advice as this river fishing is new to me. Tried around the pigs eye confluence. The rail bridge and a couple island seams. Not looking for your spots but just starting points. Have heard they go sub 10-12 foot a lot of times after spawn? Any truth to this? Likely will be back out 2-3 times over the next week. Thanks!

Jeff Fitzpatrick

Got out last night and only got one 1 fish… but it was a 28.5” 10.1 lb prespawn female. I was shocked! 51 degree water and downstream near 494. What is a fish like this doing holding onto eggs this late and this far downstream? Anyone seen this before? And apologies for the awful solo picture…

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5663-scaled.jpeg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I haven’t been on 2 much this spring but earlier this week they still hadn’t spawned on 4. Some were spewing eggs but some still had hard bellies. My guess is another few days before the big migration back downstream starts.

To Jeff….they spawn downstream, too. Not all the fish migrate up. We caught a few decent females a couple weeks ago just north of 494. Yours was probably spawning in that area in the background of your pic.

Jim

I would think most of the spawning is done. I had a couple prespawn walleyes Monday on Pool 4 but none on Thursday and the bite was much tougher. I did get some prespawn saugers.
    A pool 4 study showed the peak walleye spawn started April 7-13 (photoperiod or daylight is one factor) with a water temp of at least 45 F. Peak spawning lasted 8-10 days.
    Should be a good bite soon with some flow!

dirtywater

I was getting 47-48 for water temps today on the upper end, little warmer in the Minnesota. Water is a bit dirty with expected debris.

I’m not much of an early season angler and mostly just wanted to get the boat wet and make sure everything was in good shape today. I stopped at a few spots and did a little casting but came up empty.

Prodigyboatsguy

Was out yesterday from 6:45 until about 5:00 PM. Worked some wing damns, some back waters and some rip rap. Only one sheepheard landed. Half the day I focused on 4-12 foot the other half the day 14-18. I guess I have lots to learn on pool 2.

Jim

I was blanked Sunday. Fished from about 2:00 – 6:30 PM. Water is dirty, just a couple of inches of visibility. Lots of moss/leaves/debris in spots. Had something decent on with a blade bait but think I snagged it.

dirtywater

Well I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who couldn’t come up with anything yesterday.

Pool2Noob

Myself and a group of friends were out on pool 2 from 8am-3pm sunday. 5 guys, two boats, zero walleye. Got on some white bass and cat fish. It was tough out there for us.

I started fishing pool 2 early last summer (june) so this is my first spring fishing it. Still a lot to learn.

Jim

Hopefully the post-spawn bite kicks in soon. I’m seeing Pool 4 reports the walleye bite is tough there too.
    St. Paul gauge water temp is 51.5F, so the temp is good.

Prodigyboatsguy

Is there any particular flow and water temp guys are looking for as well post spawn?
    Hovering around 5.7feet of water it looks like and looking like by end of weekend to be around 5 or a little less and mid next week around 4-4.5 depending on weather. I suppose when it gets very silty that can also have a negative effect like last weekend only having 3 to 6 inches of clarity. May run back out Saturday if the weather looks okay.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Water was still really dirty and full of junk yesterday. I scratched out a few fish but it was tough sledding. Water was 51 degrees and the flow is high.

The rain this weekend might keep the water dirty but the bite should start to pickup. Fish are starting to drop back to post spawn spots.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anyone going to be out in the rain over the weekend? Might have to give it a try as my other options for the weekend are not better.

Prodigyboatsguy

Anyone going to be out in the rain over the weekend? Might have to give it a try as my other options for the weekend are not better.

May head out tomorrow. Was out last night. Slow but finally hooked into something at least. Water is still very cloudy but did come down a bit from last weekend.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Still looks like pretty tame water levels for this time of year. Another 4 to 5′ wouldn’t be bad. Easier to see the current seams then.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Still looks like pretty tame water levels for this time of year. Another 4 to 5′ wouldn’t be bad. Easier to see the current seams then.

The flow is up pretty good. I was surprised how fast it was moving. You won’t have any problem finding good seams. I agree though…it would be great to see the level around 8’ for awhile. That’s always seemed like the sweet spot for me.

dirtywater

Better day today than last weekend, caught 4 in a couple hours on the upper end. Nothing of size really. All on fatheads in about 15 fow.

I’m thankful to be able to fish 2 lines, 3 of my 4 came under a float which is not a presentation I would use if I could only fish one line. When fishing is on the slow side like it has been, it’s nice to be able to use a visual presentation and a “feel” presentation at the same time. Helps fight the boredom.

Viewing 20 posts - 91 through 110 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.