Pickled Fish

• Ron S

I’m looking for a pickled fish recipe that tastes like commercial or store bought pickled herring. I’ve tried numerous recipes and at the first taste, you know they are home made. I don’t want to insult anyone as we all have different tastes and no matter how good you think your recipe is, if it doesn’t taste like store bought pickled herring I’m not interested.

I don’t want to come across like a taste bud snob, I just really like pickled herring like Noon Hour used to make.

Thanks all for any help you may be able to provide.

Iowaboy1

sorry Ron,I dont have any help I can provide you with,but,the harsh reality is if you want pickled fish to taste like store bought pickled herring,you have to buy store bought pickled herring.

not trying to be a smart ass,but herring has its own flavor and nothing else can be made to taste like it.
    I know,like you,I enjoy pickled herring also and have tried many different recipes to get that flavor,it just doesnt happen unless herring is used.

I will say the closest I have come to it is using an old recipe that used white wine in it,wish I knew where it was so I could give it to you as it had the recipe for the port wine sauce that came very close to store bought.

I gave up and when I had the hankering for herring,I went and bought it,otherwise I get by just fine with pickled northern,perch,or bass.

I would be willing to bet someone here has a recipe that compares to but still wont be what you are after.
    good luck!!

Bill Boyd
    Warroad, MN

Even people that say they don’t like pickled fish like this. The herring is what you are tasting not the recipe. Try it if you like if not others may want to try this recipe.

Pickled Fish

1 –large (1/2 -1 gallon) glass jar
    Iodized salt
    Sugar
    White Vinegar
    Onions (optional)
    Pickling Spice (remove cloves if you don’t like clove)
    White cooking wine
    ½ or 1 pint canning jars with lids

**Keep fish refrigerated during all times in brine and after pickling**

• Cut northern pike or any fish into bite size chunks – no need to remove bones as they dissolve during brining.
    • Fill large glass jar no more than half full of fish chunks
    • Mix ½ cup Iodized salt per quart of water
    • Cover fish and let stand 48-72 hours in refrigerator
    • Drain and rinse fish in cold water

• Return fish to glass jar and cover with vinegar
    • Let stand 48 – 72 hours depending on thickness (longer for larger bones like the Y bones of pike)

• Brine
    o 4 cups white vinegar
    o 3 cups of sugar
    o Bring to boil then add 1 cup white cooking wine
    o Let cool

• Drain and rinse fish thoroughly – discard vinegar
    • Pack fish into smaller jars with pieces of onion (onions are optional, use as much or little as you like)
    • Add ½ Tea spoon (tsp) of pickling spice per small jar (add a little more if you like or the jar is large)
    • Cover fish with brine and refrigerate
    • Allow fish to sit 48 hours before eating to allow to flavor through

**Any leftover sugar brine can be frozen and used with the next batch
    **Fish will keep 6-8 months in the refrigerator (it never last that long at our house!)
    **For a different taste…drain ½ the liquid off and then add sour cream to the jar

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

**Smart Ass Alert**

Who the heck wants anything to taste like pickled herring!?!

Once I tried Fishing Machines pickled pike I turn up my nose at herring like a 16 year old girl sniffing stink bait!

I agree with Iowaboy, best to buy herring if that’s what you like. Excuse me now, I have to mop up the hah floor.

Ron S

Iowaboy, Bill, B K thanks we’ll giver a try. B K Maybe its a Scandinavian taste thing Grandpa brought over on the boat and I’m chasing memories of Me, Him and the pickled herring jar

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.