People still don't get it!!!!!

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It is important to not confuse recommendations with laws. The recommendation is to clean, drain and dry. This isn’t one of the MN AIS laws.

and thus the continuing spread.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Yeah, here’s a new flash. A lot of older boats DO leak and in a lot of cases a sponge isn’t going to get it all. Plus, who the 4ell wants to sponge out a boat a 2am? Someday when I hit the lottery, maybe I too can buy a sparkly boat and be compliant.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Yes there are penalties already written.

I was just wondering what your take was on pulling someone away from their job and family for up to 90 days was?

Mommy, why is Daddy going to jail? Well Sally, your Daddy had some weeds on his trailer while on his way home from fishing.

I mean really, we don’t have to do the act of infesting…just having an aquatic INDIGENOUS weed on your trailer is enough to send us to the poky?? Not counting the up to $1000.00 fine?

While the CO that writes the ticket will tell you it’s a $130. civil fine, what he doesn’t tell you is if you decided to fight it, the county attorney can choose to use the criminal law.

“Subd. 3.Criminal penalties. (a) A person who violates a provision of sections 84D.03 or 84D.06 to 84D.11, or a rule adopted under section 84D.12, is guilty of a misdemeanor.”

Yeah, make sure you pull off all your weeds boys.

I’ll be doing my homework before I vote. The laws… correction, the PEOPLE making these laws are broken, lost touch with reality AND are not following our constitution of innocent until proven guilty. That’s criminal.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Darren, would it be possible for the State to give us folks with boats older then say, 5 years a new one?

The Lakeshore owners could kick in for partial funding.

I think you and I should be entitled.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Darren, would it be possible for the State to give us folks with boats older then say, 5 years a new one?

The Lakeshore owners could kick in for partial funding.

I think you and I should be entitled.

Hey what a great idea! Everyone else in this darn State seems to get something for nothing while they continue to empty my wallet to pay for it. Subsidized boats for everyone! They could call it cash for lunkers.

How about about this? They could have the deal like the little green bikes where you just put a buck in at the launch and take the boat out for a few hours. Then we have a state funded crew to maintain the fleet to be sure they keep them AIS free.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

…and they say nothing good comes out of these discussions.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I just need a few rivets fixed and a new transom and my current boat probably won’t leak….

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Tell you what, put together all your questions and we can get them answered by the DNR. We can also set up a meeting for any and all who would like to attend. So, rather then be dealing with ” This is waht a CO told me” or “this happened to someone I know”. Lets take the time to get the straight scoop.

Brian??? Sure would be great to inform us all the real scoop from what this meeting came up with. No???
    Oh and to your earlier question…$100 would suffice…RR

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I just need a few rivets fixed and a new transom and my current boat probably won’t leak….

Duct tape fixes all…….And until you get that thing fixed do me a favor and keep it out of the lakes in the Longville area. Just trying to slow the spread and a boat like yours sounds like trouble…RR

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Oh and to your earlier question…$100 would suffice…RR

I’m guessing you missed the $1000./90 days criminal penalties.

My guiding season is over as of Nov 1st. Once I get my AIR laden boat home (assuming I don’t go to jail) I would be more then happy to video an AIR question and answer meeting with the law makers that originated them.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>

Duct tape fixes all…….And until you get that thing fixed do me a favor and keep it out of the lakes in the Longville area. Just trying to slow the spread and a boat like yours sounds like trouble…RR

I’m just following the laws. Pulling that plug.

Having a dry boat is just recommended.

GET THE POINT?

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Ease up on the 90 days in jail. Throwing a filter cig out the window is also a misdemeanor and I don’t think our jails are over run with those kinda’ hard criminals. My point is many laws (silly or not…) have that “and/or 90 days in jail” and i don’t see you screaming about those. Can’t pick and choose (which is what you are doing…) RR

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I don’t smoke.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Actually one of the ideas that a Lakeshore group proposed was no outsider boats and rental boats only. There is little to be gained by complaining about this stuff. The 2015 legislative session is coming up and we will be faced with more threats to our public access, we need more folks sitting in the hearing rooms and contacting legislators. I devote/volunteer 100-200 hours a year to fisheries issues as part of Anglers for Habitat. We need folks to get involved

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Hard to believe this topic made it to page 5.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I need to start keeping track…Vern, can those be a tax write off? )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hard to believe this topic made it to page 5.

It should make it to page 500!

The people making these laws are the biggest threat to Minnesota Fishing as we know it!

Bigger then ANY invasive species. If MN gets away with it you can bet other states will follow.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I don’t smoke.

Do you eat bananas when you drive? Yup, 90 days in jail. That, my friend, is my point…RR

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

RR I see your point and don’t take this as a personal attack but I have to wonder. Would your stance have been the same 3-4 years ago when you were trailering your boat everywhere? It’s easy to be in favor of the ridiculous trailering laws now that you have land on a lake. I’m guessing you don’t trailer hardly at all anymore. Again, the point is that if there was reasonable laws that had a chance of working everybody would be in favor of them.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ll try to be more clear…

This is taken off a formal complaint for transporting weeds once the county attorney found out the ticket would possibly be contested.

What happened to the civil fine of $130.00?

”….the written complaint lists the penalty as ”90 Days Jail and/or $1,000 Fine”. It also has a section that reads:

THEREFORE, Complainant requests that said Defendant, subject to bail or conditioned of release be:
    (1) arrested or that other lawful steps be taken to obtain Defendant’s appearance in court; or
    (2) detained, if already in custody, pending further proceedings; and that said Defendant otherwise be dealth with according to law.”

This is happening RR. It’s not a cig butt or a banana…it’s weeds…non invasive weeds at that.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I stand corrected,

Duckweed is exempt from the AIS law.

Along with duck hunters, guess they are special.

Exempt from the law…

(7) in the form of fragments of emergent aquatic macrophytes incidentally transported in or on watercraft or decoys used for waterfowl hunting during the waterfowl season; or

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Ok now I’ll try and be more clear (which I thought I was being…). YES, it is ludicrous to think that a person would go to jail for having coontail (and yes Brian coontail at some point in time was prolly an invasive -) ) on his trailer. I tried to make that point when i pointed out the banana and cig butt!?!? Stupid to have that attached to the law(s). I AGREE WITH YOU! Should you have to pay a fine? Yup. Without consequences to our actions laws would not be followed. I guess I can’t be any clearer than that…

Dutch…I trailer to many lakes even though I have been on this same 400 acre lake for 25 years. I DO NOT think that the lake I am on should be just for the cabin owners. The lake is not ours it is for everyone! I agree with the laws that are in place to try and protect lakes from invasives. Part of that is doing the best job we can on making sure that the boats that back down that ramp don’t infest lakes that are currently invasive free. It really kind of amazes me on how close everyone’s views are yet we seem so far apart. (That being said FBRM’s views of “heck, who says they are bad for a lake. I catch fish in lakes that have invasives so bring it on. I think they are a good thing!” That mentality makes me wonder. Again Wow…)

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Big difference between saying something is good and saying it’s not bad. Specifically why are you so afraid of these AIS?

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Not afraid of them. Just don’t want them infesting lakes due to all of the reasons. Go to the DNR website. Those reasons are clearly published…RR

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>

Duct tape fixes all…….And until you get that thing fixed do me a favor and keep it out of the ilakes in the Longville area. Just trying to slow the spread and a boat like yours sounds like trouble…RR

I have a bad transom on my boat also our lake cabin is on sand lake at the end of bowstring river is that to close to Longville?

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Nah…you should be fine contaminating those waters…

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Thanx, I have a couple duck hunting trips to do up there. I was worried there for a bit.
    Oh,thankyou for your concern for our waters. We all are in it together. How deep were in it is another matter.:)
    Love the Longville area, used to go to a friends cabin on long lake many years ago.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I am wondering if those against the laws are more upset with the laws themselves or the fact we can’t stop the spread, even with the laws? Not a loaded question, just a genuine question. If it is both, which do you feel more strongly about?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Smoked a big rock pile a little bit ago. Hope that didn’t peel any duct tape off.

Eek.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 175 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.