People still don't get it!!!!!

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The point of the In-Fish article is that we as boaters Can NOT comply with the law.

You and I are breaking these laws each time we move our rigs…it’s just up to the LEO if he wants to write a ticket.

That’s a good point, but to the degree we carry it around is where the law steps in. When taken the proper precautions, I’m sure the chances are slim at best of spreading with the casual boater/angler using their rigs 1x week. Where reckless boaters such as those described by OP has MUCH MUCH higher, agreed?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m sure the chances are slim at best of spreading with the casual boater/angler using their rigs 1x week.

Read the article Nick.

Even after an inspection, there is no way of knowing if you are or aren’t spreading AIS.

As close to 100% certain we can be would be if your boat never touches water.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Question to a Flat Earther: Why do you think the Earth is flat? Answer: Because it looks that way to me.

Flat Earthers seem to favor concepts that they can see, smell, hear or taste. If they don’t have concrete, absolute, guaranteed evidence then it doesn’t compute. Example: Fish biologists estimate that there is up to 25% mortality with summer tournaments when Temps are high. Flat Earthers need to see 25% of released fish simultaneously floating on the surface to accept something like this. While they can successfully negotiate complicated transactions and be quite intelligent, they rely primarily on instinct and senses. In many ways they make good companions and faithful friends.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So I am up at the cabin for a few days fishing and then the dreaded winterize and close up. I dread that day every year, but know that sooner our latter spring will come; starting a whole new year of fishing, memories with the family, etc.

The landing on my favorite lake is full of weeds due to a south wind for several days. After getting tired of having to pull so many weeds off the trailer, I took my garden rake to the landing and cleaned as much out at possible. When I arrived a older gentleman had just loaded up, he was tying down his boat in the parking lot. While I was raking out the weeds I heard his truck start up and away he went. Pulling a solid axle of weeds across the lot and down the highway!

I loaded up at dark, 4 walleye in the live well for supper, and pulled up near the light to drain, clean weeds off, and put the minnows in fresh well water. Another boat loads up and pulls into the lot, far enough away that I could not see much, other than an Alumacraft boat and could hear the diesel truck running. As I finished up loading, away he goes, weeds hanging off the trailer!!!

I have the tip line in my phone, but could not catch a license plate. Two of the three lakes in our area have Eurasian millfoil and with the disgregard these people show, it will not be long till they all have it.

I know some on this site feel the milfoil is no big deal, but it my opinion you must not have seen the impact to an ecosystem if you feel this way.

Come on people, follow the dam law and get your @3%& on the ground and get the frickn weeds off your damn trailer, or sell the boat and stay the hell off the water!!!!!!

Wow. You would call TIP on someone for having weeds on their trailer? Might want to re think that. It could very well be you that ends up with the ticket. Even with all your hard work to try to keep weeds off you trailer and not transport water its not possible to be 100%. Those DNR guys are just itching to write tickets for this type of stuff or anything else they can find. Need to justify these stupid laws they have in place now.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Mike, I am curious as to what is so “stupid” about the law? If a trailer leaves with 2lbs or 20lbs of weeds from a lake infested with milfoil what should be done to that person to make him clean his trailer before he heads to a lake that is milfoil free? Really…I want to know what should happen to that person. I’m sorry but I like the lake that I currently have a cabin on a lake that is milfoil free and zeeb free. I don’t want that guy backing down into any lake that is currently milfoil/zeeb free. What would you like to see happen to the owner of that trailer? BTW this is good conversation regardless of what side of the fence you reside! RR

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Maybe a friendly reminder that he missed some weeds. Would much rather see my money spent on ways to kill ais than new ways to take money from me and will not stop the spread of ais.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have a lot of flat-earther in me and damn proud of it.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Hope you don’t think of it as a judgement. Abstract, intuitive, thinkers need flat earthers. We all achieve insight by taking different paths. Some folks won’t settle for anything less then 100% absolute proof, others think achieving 100% is never possible. With AIS it might be important to not let perfection interfere with progress.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Question to a Flat Earther: Why do you think the Earth is flat? Answer: Because it looks that way to me.

Flat Earthers seem to favor concepts that they can see, smell, hear or taste. If they don’t have concrete, absolute, guaranteed evidence then it doesn’t compute. Example: Fish biologists estimate that there is up to 25% mortality with summer tournaments when Temps are high. Flat Earthers need to see 25% of released fish simultaneously floating on the surface to accept something like this. While they can successfully negotiate complicated transactions and be quite intelligent, they rely primarily on instinct and senses. In many ways they make good companions and faithful friends.

Perhaps if we didn’t see millions of dollars wasted by government on a daily basis we could accept some of their theory’s. Buzz you and I will never agree on AIS until it’s scientifically proven to be devastating to our waters. I will continue to use Milfoil as an example. Milfoil has not proven to be detrimental to the lakes, maybe a inconvenience to property owners and boaters but certainly not a detriment. Zeebs in Lake Erie have cleaned the water to record clarity. Is that a bad thing?

In the dictionary is the term “flat earthers” described as “one with common sense?”

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Mike, I am curious as to what is so “stupid” about the law? If a trailer leaves with 2lbs or 20lbs of weeds from a lake infested with milfoil what should be done to that person to make him clean his trailer before he heads to a lake that is milfoil free? Really…I want to know what should happen to that person. I’m sorry but I like the lake that I currently have a cabin on a lake that is milfoil free and zeeb free. I don’t want that guy backing down into any lake that is currently milfoil/zeeb free. What would you like to see happen to the owner of that trailer? BTW this is good conversation regardless of what side of the fence you reside! RR

I certainly understand your desire to keep your lake “clean”. However until you can manage to get it covered your chances are slim at best. Turtles and birds are as great a threat as boats are. In fact there are more birds coming and going then boats on the lakes.

Trust mother nature, she will balance and restore as she has done since the beginning of time. Mother Nature has a harder time dealing with fertilizers and pesticides so they might be a target of protest around your lake.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

This law is broken.

Everyone on this site with a boat breaks this law each time they are out.

The law doesn’t care if it’s 20 pounds of weeds or one spot of duck weed.
    It doesn’t care if it’s a native plant or an invasive.
    It doesn’t care if you have zeebs in your boat or not.
    It doesn’t care if you have water in your hull or not. (plug law)

They only way “you” can keep “your” lake free of ais is to keep everyone including birds, animals and in some cases the wind away from “your” lake. (that wasn’t a personal shot RR)

Making a law easy to enforce should not intrude on our personal freedoms.-Author Unknown.

jake47
    WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>
    Even if an invasive positively affects a lake, I’d still want reasonable measures taken by people to help slow the spread.

Totally agree.

….But suddenly deer numbers are high and a bunch of master baiters out there….

Like what you did there Grouse…way to keep it loose in here!!!

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

This law is broken.

Everyone on this site with a boat breaks this law each time they are out.

The law doesn’t care if it’s 20 pounds of weeds or one spot of duck weed.
    It doesn’t care if it’s a native plant or an invasive.
    It doesn’t care if you have zeebs in your boat or not.
    It doesn’t care if you have water in your hull or not. (plug law)

They only way “you” can keep “your” lake free of ais is to keep everyone including birds, animals and in some cases the wind away from “your” lake. (that wasn’t a personal shot RR)

Making a law easy to enforce should not intrude on our personal freedoms.-Author Unknown.

Not taken as a personal shot :-)…OK…What should the law be? I’m not going to stand down on invasives and my desire to not want them in the lake that my cabin is on (notice i didn’t say “my” lake…). The lake is 400 acres and has a public launch (and I welcomed that public launch 25 years ago when it was put in and I still enjoy others trailering in…). I still say there has to be some sort of law against trailers having weeds but I must say that I don’t have a thought on what that law should be. Brian what should that law be?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The DNR would be best to answer that question. They know best and should be involved in creating these laws.

They know full well that these laws are not feasible.

Invasives have been a part of is for over 100 years. Why now? Why punish US for the incompetence of our congress?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Is it illegal to walk out of a public restroom with crap all over your hands?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’m not sure there is a law that would prevent the lake your reside on rousterrouster from invasive species…Short of ending the usage of boats entirely.

What exactly worries you about the lake you reside on getting an invasive rouster?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Buzz,

Negative effects to ecosystem from introduction of Milfoil?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

While I support your motivation, we as fisherman need to lose the selfishness and realize there’s more to an ecosystem than just game fish. Invasive species will also lower property value and effect boating recreation.

There is plenty of life after AIS, but let’s not be ignorant to other interests.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Elk, as you know I’m aware of the lake you are talking about . It’s not as beautiful and pristine as it used to be and that truly is a shame. Keep up the good fight! Hope all is well with you and spring is right around the corner.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I’m not sure there is a law that would prevent the lake your reside on rousterrouster from invasive species…Short of ending the usage of boats entirely.

What exactly worries you about the lake you reside on getting an invasive rouster?

Well you asked so here goes…

1) As the name states it is not native to that particular ecosystem. You do understand that it is OK to not want non-native species in a lake right? I am assuming that you think it is OK to introduce them. If so that is your opinion…

2) Cabin values fall on lakes that are infested. Yes it is true. Ask a realtor in the Longville area of Mn whether it matters if a lake is infested or not. I have asked and they all say YES! People looking for a new property tell their realtors they do not want to be on an infested lake…

3) For the last 70 years that my family has owned this property we have had white sandy beaches. No thick weeds to worry about and no cuts on the feed from zeeb shells…

Fishblood, you do understand that there is a reason that people in our state fight invasives right??? I think you fish a lake that is infested and you catch fish so you think it is OK…No???

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Not 1 example of an impact to the ecosystem.

I’ll give you time to google.

I’d advise you sell your property now. WHile it’s value is high.

OH, i don’t think it’s OK to introduce them, however, that’s exactly what we are doing, regardless of what laws are followed.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

While I support your motivation, we as fisherman need to lose the selfishness and realize there’s more to an ecosystem than just game fish. Invasive species will also lower property value and effect boating recreation.

There is plenty of life after AIS, but let’s not be ignorant to other interests.

Biggest myth ever.

Go make a lower offer on a home in Minnetonka because of Milfoil, see how that works.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Fishblood, you do understand that there is a reason that people in our state fight invasives right??? I think you fish a lake that is infested and you catch fish so you think it is OK…No???

Yes, and it has NOTHING to do with the ECOSYSTEM. ONLY IT’S EFFECT ON PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

SOME PEOPLE JUST DON’T GET IT.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Not 1 example of an impact to the ecosystem.

I’ll give you time to google.

I’d advise you sell your property now. WHile it’s value is high.

OH, i don’t think it’s OK to introduce them, however, that’s exactly what we are doing, regardless of what laws are followed.

Again…I don’t think you understand what the term invasive means. Look it up…That is why 99% of people don’t want it. It’s not suppose to be there?!?! That alone is a good enough reason for me on how it effects the ecosystem. Milfoil chokes out native weeds. There, a reason…RR

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Ahh forget it. This flat earther can’t operate an iPhone. I was trying to post a couple links.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

North America has been receiving successive waves of non-native species (some of which became invasive) since 1492, when the “old World” of Europe first made contact with the “New World.” Colonists brought many familiar species with them (including many domesticated crops and animals). Some non-native species were deliberately brought (horses, cows, cats, honeybees, oats, clover, peach trees, Kentucky bluegrass, etc.), some inadvertently (rats, nettles, dandelions, smallpox, typhoid, etc.). Many species that we may think of as natives, may in fact be old non-natives/invasives that have become an established part of the ecosystem!

Not that the above has much to do with what’s going on here….

I would have to say the reason property values are dropping is not because of the milfoil or other AIS, but because of the AIR (Aquatic Invasive Regulations). That don’t work…by the way.

Education without regulation is the law I support.

Thought I would leave the door open for your Buzz. )

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I don’t think anybody is in favor of AIS. (well of course except the companies making millions over the scare)

I just think the laws and policy for dealing with it is ridiculous.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

This thread is a pretty entertaining read, I don’t know exactly where I stand on the whole issue, but I will say one thing.

Something being non-detrimental is a far cry from something being beneficial.

Just because milfoil doesn’t negatively impact an ecosystem(I think it’s hard to prove this in either direction and I’m sure as hell not qualified to say either way), doesn’t necessarily mean it’s having a positive impact. Can you blame a guy for not wanting milfoil and zebra mussels in his lake?

I think the far bigger problem is people not pulling their plugs. Seriously, the other day I was at White Bear Lake and this hippie black native american muslim republican communist abortionist was pulling his ridiculously large red Ranger out of the lake and just pulled right off without pulling the plug WHILE not wearing a seatbelt! Keep in mind that I had seen this guy on the lake and he was using two rods, culling fish, using sunfish as muskie bait as well as carrying around a poached buck from manitou island.

I hopped in my outback and caught up to him a few miles down the road, he was listening to rap music while texting so it was easy for me to run him off the road, his trailer jacknifed and since he was not wearing a seatbelt(another law he was breaking) he was thrown from his truck into oncoming traffic, he bounced off of an oncoming car and fell into the roadside ditch face down. His livewells(which contained a double limit of walleyes) were full of water, they emptied into the same ditch, eventually drowning the unconscious man.

Didn’t he realize what he was doing though? I mean White Bear Lake’s water levels have been down for years and this is obviously why, people are STEALING our natural resources! Let’s say conservatively 100 boats launch on White Bear Lake on a weekend day, each of them takes with them 1 gallon of water, THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF GALLONS OF WATER LEAVING THE LAKE EVERYDAY. It’s appalling.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thank you Phil. )

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 175 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.