people crowding your hole

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So all the sportsmen on here are saying , when your open water trolling a spot all by your self and I fly up and cut 10 ft in front of you that it shouldn’t matter. Because I waved and really like a few guys say I’m only trying to catch so fish to eat. Who cares about manners.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Set up on a hump in the southeast corner of Harriet yesterday about 230. Had the lake to myself except for two guys in portables on the other side of the lake.

)

You know you just put your fishing spot on the internet right?

Attachments:
    1. Capture-1.jpg

tangler
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tangler wrote:</div>
    Set up on a hump in the southeast corner of Harriet yesterday about 230. Had the lake to myself except for two guys in portables on the other side of the lake.

)

You know you just put your fishing spot on the internet right?

Lol. It was my first time there and I probably won’t be back. Definitely not a secret. Anyone with Navionics can look at a lake and pick out the structure, Which is how I chose the spot in the first place. There wasn’t anything all that special about the spot, which made it all the more questionable for the dude to cozy up.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Bearcat, you bring up a valid point. Open water anglers in boats have the same issue as ice anglers. The difference in a boat is that its much easier to move. This issue is probably not going to go away anytime soon considering every one now has GPS and is able to find spots quickly.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

So all the sportsmen on here are saying , when your open water trolling a spot all by your self and I fly up and cut 10 ft in front of you that it shouldn’t matter. Because I waved and really like a few guys say I’m only trying to catch so fish to eat. Who cares about manners.

Had this happen on pool 2 this summer between the dam and confluence. There are probably a half dozen boats fishing the whole stretch and a guy come ripping by me on my trolling run, hits the brakes, and then throws the minnkota down and starts his run. I was literally in his motor by the time he got setup.

I let it go because it was too nice a day to get pissed but that was an a-hole move.

I will also say bass guys get pretty worked up if you get near them. I don’t think they realize walleyes like weeds on some lakes.

Timmy

After reading all these posts, it is perfectly clear why I mostly fish where I do.

Opener on LotW, and a few sturg trips on the rainy, I fully expect(and enjoy) company. It’s a community affair and everybody visits and has fun. But the remaining portion of the year, I am a recluse…. thank God for Canada and northern MN, because I rarely fish w/in sight of people I am not traveling with. Locally, I enjoy visiting… let’s visit and have fun. But on remote lakes, give me a few hundred yds. Common sense usually prevails, and the number of occasions I have been encroached on is very low…… people are generally good, there’s just too many of em around me….lol.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Right on top of you is a jerk move. No sense getting worked up though.
    Funny story: our perm is small and light one of the first ones on. December this season we’re walking out first night fishing and some yahoos in a red Eskimo are right next to us. I could care less. They must’ve thought we were onto something with it being a perm out there. We hadn’t fished in it yet. They set up closer than our buddies who were fishing with us. As we walk up my 6 year old says plain as day why are they fishing so close to our house. They never came out of portable. Later the lil guy and his buddies decide it’s funny to knock on their house and ask if they have their license. Lil kid voices pretending their checking license and running.any other time would’ve told the kids to settle down. These guys were so close i figured served em right. The next night they setup not next to us.

Jason

I love it when you just get done drilling a dozen holes, set your gear down, start fishing, and have somebody comes over and jumps onto one of your new holes! That absolutely drives me mad. The sad part is, it’s not the young guys, but the retired guys. I’ve had guys ask if they could fish holes I’ve drilled, and I don’t have a problem, because they are polite. But just to jump in is bs. I can’t bring myself to do that because I was always taught the “do onto others” thing, and I feel it’s just rude. If somebody needs a hole drilled, I don’t care. Just don’t jump into the middle of my set and start fishing the holes I put the effort into making.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

Are you positive they saw you drill those holes?

catmando
    wis

Manners, I fish out of my truck some, had them drill right by my front tire. true story.

Sylvanboat

On a related subject: how much area are you entitled to for your tip-ups? We were fishing in Shawano earlier this week and a guy with his wife and two small kids easily took up 100ft X 100ft with their tip-ups.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

On a related subject: how much area are you entitled to for your tip-ups? We were fishing in Shawano earlier this week and a guy with his wife and two small kids easily took up 100ft X 100ft with their tip-ups.

Not choosing sides here but if they were in a boat casting out 50’ around them would that be any different?

ozzyky
    On water

100×100 12 tip ups seems legit to me. Only 33 yards in any direction I don’t think they are in the wrong. It would bother me if someone came inside my spread of flags if that was my set up…guess I need to be more friendly.

Sylvanboat

i am in my boat and casting 50′ in all directions. More and more boats start coming around, everybody casting in all directions. I would think the group would start accommodating the growing number of boats and work together. With ice fishing the first guy stakes out a position. There is really no way to accommodate more anglers.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

I’ll have to keep that ducer trick in mind! rotflol

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sylvanboat wrote:</div>

Not choosing sides here but if they were in a boat casting out 50’ around them would that be any different?

There is an idea there. Decoy tip ups. devil devil

Tom Dace

6000+ acres on that lake and you are wondering if they took up too much space? The problem with that lake is that almost everyone tries to pile on top of each other in the communities. Then they get irked if someone is taking up too much area. Many, many acres on that thing that get very little attention but are exceptional….even better than where you see the hordes of people and shacks parked.

I had a guy creep in on me a bunch of years ago…not on Shawano…a different lake. I was the only other person on that lake. I kept getting flags, he kept moving closer. Up until he drilled a hole five feet (no exaggeration) from one of my tip ups. I walk over, pull mine out and sarcastically say: “If you’re going to be that close just use my hole.” He thought I was serious and in a blink of an eye his tip up goes in that hole. Instead of making a scene I moved mine to his freshly drilled hole. Mine kept going up, his never moved once. I was very careful about concealing the type of presentation I was using so he couldn’t see what it was. After about an hour he picked up and left. It was highly irritating but getting the last laugh like that was great.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Last year my brother and I were fishing a Mississippi backwater. This area is nor very big. 4 guys show up which is fine. We chat a little bit then one of the guys drills a set of holes between us. 2 of the holes are within 5 feet of us. We are maybe 20 feet apart and this guy drills 3 holes between us. We packed up and left. I’m not sticking around an @$$&?/# like that. My free time is too valuable to sit around and be in a p offed mood. flame

ozzyky
    On water

I’ve been known to set up decoy portables too….

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Years ago I spent a day on the water with a friend who happened to be a game warden. He’d seen some people fishing a tangle of trees a few days earlier on this lake we were on and suggested we try that spot. When we got there nobody else was fishing it so we tied off and started fishing. And catching. I’m not sure where the conversation came from but we were talking about this topic exactly….people crowding others when they had already been there. His comment was fairly curt and basically alluded to the idea that the only water one can lay claim to is that where his line is at the moment. I guess I sort of fish that way and will pick up and hit it if people get in the way. They aren’t worth the hassle.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve been known to set up decoy portables too….

We do that with our permanent and then hop around with the portable. It’s amazing the amount of guys who flock to the permanent and sit on the worst part of the lake

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I love it when you just get done drilling a dozen holes, set your gear down, start fishing, and have somebody comes over and jumps onto one of your new holes! That absolutely drives me mad. The sad part is, it’s not the young guys, but the retired guys. I’ve had guys ask if they could fish holes I’ve drilled, and I don’t have a problem, because they are polite. But just to jump in is bs. I can’t bring myself to do that because I was always taught the “do onto others” thing, and I feel it’s just rude. If somebody needs a hole drilled, I don’t care. Just don’t jump into the middle of my set and start fishing the holes I put the effort into making.

That’s how they operate on the north end of Osakis. Some people don’t even bring augers, they just hole-hop the holes that have already been drilled. It’s always old-timers looking to pile-drive fish into a bucket. I’ve had them walk behind me and graph my holes as I’m drilling the next one. When I see them settle down, I known they found the pod I was drilling/searching for, so I come back and drill one right next to them.

It took me a while to get used to that and not get super upset. I really don’t like that kind of operation, but it seems like the status quo on Osakis when those huge gills fire up. It’s like fishing in the State Fair concourse, there’s so many people sometimes. But some of the fish I’ve pulled up. . .

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I hate that people put permanent on a piece of structure, then don’t come out to it more than once or twice an ice season. I find good walleye spots, then they see me catching them and bam, the rock ledge I was on is now covered by 2 or 3 permanent ice houses that never have anyone in them. I’m not allowed to rope off my summer fishing spots to keep people out, am I? If people are fishing them, great, but when most I see go untouched for 2 weeks at a time, go park it in a parking lot. Only reason I’d get an ice castle is for sleeping in and being able to fish until morning when I run and gun again.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I hate that people put permanent on a piece of structure, then don’t come out to it more than once or twice an ice season. I find good walleye spots, then they see me catching them and bam, the rock ledge I was on is now covered by 2 or 3 permanent ice houses that never have anyone in them. I’m not allowed to rope off my summer fishing spots to keep people out, am I? If people are fishing them, great, but when most I see go untouched for 2 weeks at a time, go park it in a parking lot. Only reason I’d get an ice castle is for sleeping in and being able to fish until morning when I run and gun again.

This is what I’ve seen in spots that I’ve ice fished throughout the years. Spots where no one ever touches, never seen them any signs of ice holes drilled, nor any vehicle tracks. Then there’s a permanent fish house there now…and I get why people set up portables right next to a permy now.

Sometimes it’s entertaining to just start fishing village, almost randomly. A few times we started with a small group, random spot no one was there. Then we grew double sized, double sized, then a few permies showed up and then by end of day, there was a whole village there. Nothing but small potatoes and feeder fish, but huge village now.

catmando
    wis

When on a hot bite and I want to keep fish its, 1, no flasher,2 no bucket that invites curious people,3 hunch over hood up,4 stand up, 5 small fanny pack for said fish. its really pathetic a person has done such things to have a little elbow room. DK. beware of the 100 yd parked binocular trucks. DK

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

When on a hot bite and I want to keep fish its, 1, no flasher,2 no bucket that invites curious people,3 hunch over hood up,4 stand up, 5 small fanny pack for said fish. its really pathetic a person has done such things to have a little elbow room. DK. beware of the 100 yd parked binocular trucks. DK

Fished a lake for the first time earlier in the season. No one within 300 to 400 yards. Caught 20 walleye in an evening and had a great time. Next day I went back, and there were 3 portables and an ice castle in the exact spot I was in. Talked to a guy and he said yeah apparently one of these guys saw someone catching a bunch of walleyes from the access yesterday. So someone was watching me through binos catch fish. Then proceeded to go tell a bunch of people who in turn all made the 3/4 mile treck out there and caused one guy to come to plant his castle there. Awfully irritating.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

So someone was watching me through binos catch fish. Then proceeded to go tell a bunch of people who in turn all made the 3/4 mile treck out there and caused one guy to come to plant his castle there. Awfully irritating.

Devils lake Perch patrol in a nutshell. I’m sure some of their guides find their own fish. But I’ve had them sit on me and bring clients over several times. Every time I go talk to one to be friendly, the binos are on the passenger seat.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

I havent heard too much good talk about the perch patrol.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

If it comes down to it I’ll just start flipping my shack over everytime I sit at a hole. It shouldn’t be that way but lazy people just can’t put any effort in other than sitting there watching you.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m a avid fisherman, I go at least 4 to 5 days a week. And you can bet money i have my vortex binos on the dash of my truck at any given moment. But i still wouldn’t crowd any one. But I do take a million mental notes

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.