West Okoboji,Aug 24,2003

• ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Tim Drascic,myself,and my middle boy Austin made it out for a few hours of fishing before Tim had to get back to Wisconsin.We started by working a rock pile in 20′ of water.Alot of gills and a few bass were in the area.Austin did managed to get one small walleye.
    We then worked live bait rigs in 35-45′ of water.We did managed to get 3 small walleyes doing this before we quit.
    It wasn’t the best week-end for walleye fishing but we did have alot of fun.I really enjoyed fishing out of Tim’s 619 Ranger.This was the first Ranger I’ve fished out of and it was very nice.Austin also drove it a little while Tim was getting the vehicle backed-up.
    We caught 5 eyes over the week-end and they were all on leeches.The leech supply in NW Iowa is now out.So if any you RCL League fisherman want leeches remember to bring them with.We need that cool air to come in to get these walleyes going!!It’s been close to 100 the last 2 days,way to hot for fish and people.Take care and best of luck on the water.
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Here is Austin with a nice gill.We kept and caught a dozen of these 8-9″ gills.West Okoboji is a great gill lake.
    Ryan Hale

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Ryan,

Thanks for the update. I have not been out on the water since our night fishing outing. I do see that the weatherman is saying it’s going to cool off. Thank goodness! Going to head up to Ottertail County for Labor Day weekend and the highs are going to be in the low 70s. Perfect! As the weather cools the fishing should get hot.
    Have a good week!

wiwalleye
    Madison, WI

Ryan:

Thanks again for spending some of your time with me last weekend. I enjoyed spending that time with you on the water. It’s a good thing Austin came along Sunday to show us how to catch Okoboji walleyes! Lake Okoboji will certainly be a challenge for the RCL League competitors. I suspect most have not fished this lake before. Getting out on the water with you to see and learn about the lake will (hopefully) pay dividends come tournament time. See you again soon.

Tim

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.