West Okoboji report June 26,2003.

• ryan-hale
    NW Ia

My wife and I went to try to get some smallmouth bass this morning for a few hours.We had strong winds which did not help.We fished the Gull Point area and ended up with 5 smallies and 3 largemouth bass.It was my wifes first time on the boat this year as I’ve been fishing alot of tournaments.She had a good time and it’s always fun to catch those smallies!We also fished inside Emerson Bay and picked up about a dozen gills and 1 perch.Had water temps in the high 60’s.Best of luck.
    Ryan Hale

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Hey Ryan,,

Water temps in the hight 60’s…is that normal for this time of year of has the cooler temps been a factor(except for the past week).What are the average temps for the lake through summer ?

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Dave ,West Okoboji is a very clear and deep lake.It has a max depth of 130′. It never does warm up to much.It is also one of the only 4-5 “blue” water lakes in the world.It is a joy to fish.Take care.
    Ryan Hale

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Ryan, How much is a cabin on Okiboji or Spirit for a week?

Might try to talk the family into that next year.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Gianni,there are a ton of resorts and places you can stay at Iowa Great Lakes area.But they can be expensive during the summer.I think if you clicked on http://www.okoboji.com you could get a idea on prices.
    Ryan Hale

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I use to vacation with the family there when I was a kid, before I started fishing. Now things are alot fancier and alot more expensive. But there is a real nice campground over by the the SW corner of the lake [West Okoboji] and not too far from Arnolds Amusement Park for the kids to have fun at. Check out the link Ryan gave you as there could be a resort around that isn’t all redone and expensive in the north west part of the lake where there is a lagoon and public ramp and small beech I believe. Thanks for sharing the info Ryan. Nice to have some info on that lake as one of these days I’ll have to try fishing it. Thanks, Bill

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

try loon lake campgrounds. Loon Lake has some good walleye fishing and its a short drive to the big lakes. Its a family run outfit and is away from the hubbub of the tourist area so it should be cheaper.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.