Smallies

• curt
    Winnebago, MN

A couple of questions… I’ve been catching smallies on West with cranks and jerk baits over the years but I have not been able to buy more than a couple of fish on a grub… I must be doing something wrong cause I know a couple of guys that tell me all the time they are loading the boat with them. I would like some ideas about what the deal is. I’d appreciate a post or a PM to discuss grubbing smallies on West.

Part 2… Several years ago smallies were pretty common on East but I haven’t seen many in the past 4 years. Any idea whats happening to them?

Curt

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Hi Curt,I fish for smallies alot on these lakes.You can still catch alot of fish of 2-3″ Power grubs.I will be posting a new fishing report in a few hours,make sure you look at it as we have been getting some nice fish the past few days.East is not a great smallie lake like West and Spirit.I did get 5 one day early this year off of East but I do not target them on East.Take care.
    Ryan Hale

curt
    Winnebago, MN

Actually, I think we’ve bumped into one another a number of times on the water. I’ve fished the lakes primarily for largemouth for several years with an occassional trip for Muskies. I enjoy fishing the monster sunnies that roll in in the spring but haven’t taken the time in the past few years to fish them. I’d fish the area more but Minnesota seasons open which tends to draw me north.

Most of my smallies have been caught on jerk baits, small jigs, cranks, and at rare times spinnerbaits. Most years I can jerk a few large fish in West but this year the jerk bait bite wasn’t there for me.

I’ll be watching for your posts. I appreciate the info! Wouldn’t mind gabbing more about the lake sometime actually. I spent alot of time “patterning” fish but have decided it would be better explained by saying the ‘current trend’ seems to be… The more I fish the more I seem to catch myself in a pattern and the fish moving to a different trend. I hate it when I’m fishing memories and missing the fish because of it hahaha!

Looking forward to talking.

Curt

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.